How to get Exp quicker?

Hi there. I am farming paragon levels and currently is on 36. But i spend almost 1 hour and 40 minutes to get 58 millions exp. I got lacuni + zuni boots, so my speed is boosted by 24% . My route is on MP2 (from Jaetch reccomendation) :

Core of the Arreat
    - Tower of the Damned 1
    - Arreat Crater 2
    - Keep Level 2
    - Fields of Slaughter

I do not have hellfire ring, but my question: is it possible to make leveling quicker?

my profile is Trogvar#2301
    Ruby in the helm and Hellfire ring help a lot (70% faster!). Make sure you can kill quickly on MP2. If you're stopping a lot then you may need more DPS. Make sure you're only picking up items worth picking up. The less trips you make to town, the better.

Have fun. The more it feels like a chore, the longer it will seem to take.
    MP0 alka run

pick up only legendaries, rings, amulets, axes, mighty wpns, fist wpns, swords, daggers, gloves
    Quote from Goldroger_82

MP0 alka run

EDIT- To clarify, if your goal is maximum xp per hour, you should never use monster power, unless it has close to ZERO impact on your farm speed.

Example 1: Billy farms MP2 but it takes him three times as long to kill things, hes not maximizing xp per hour because that extra time is not made up by the meager xp boost.

Example 2: Billy is so geared that even on MP2 things die INSTANTLY (and I mean instantly, if you have to stop and attack ANYTHING twice it isnt instant). Billy is correct in this case because using the MP has no impact on his farming speed, but he gets the meager bonus.
    Can try dropping down to MP1 if 2 is still too slow (and your EXP rate does seem a tad slow). Run a Hellfire Ring at least to speed it up (remember, you're essentially reducing the overall time you need to take by 35%).

Also try running Storm Armor-Scramble. You don't have to attempt to suicide to get the speed boost. Any little damage will trigger the movement speed buff. This includes the furnaces in Core, Tower of the Damned, Arreat Crater. Just run through the fire and fly. I believe it'll also trigger the moment you attack a Reflect mob, which would make running around to grab health globes much easier.

As for the Hellfire Ring again, try getting two: one for yourself, and put one on your follower for an additional 7%. Also, if you want to go nuts, you can also get a Leoric's Signet for yourself and your follower ^_^ (I don't do that, but I'm sure there are people who do)
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    it would be much more under 35% jaetch he would get 135% xp wich is a bit over 25% with no stack
    stacked 210, under 20% quicker
    Ok. Thanks for the answers , i will try to get rings , lower down MP level , and use Storm armor instead of Energy.
    Quote from Cryomatic

it would be much more under 35% jaetch he would get 135% xp wich is a bit over 25% with no stack

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Assuming while you're farming for EXP, the majority of the time you'll have full NV stacks (75% bonus EXP) if at MP0. Just add the appropriate bonuses per MP level.

Adding a Hellfire Ring will improve your current rate (without the ring) by another 35%. We're saying add the Hellfire Ring to level faster since OP's looking for advice on faster leveling.
    Quote from Cryomatic

If the more we then because 17.4% of the base then multiply 42 which is with stack then 400 is much slower how does then you become?
    I agree with trying MP1. Also, try changing your Archon rune to teleport and your Armor spell to Storm Armor - Scramble. That should increase your farming speed a little bit at least. I'd even stop running fields, maybe change it to bridge for NV stacks, since I don't find it very efficient, and maybe throw in Stonefort for the KW if you don't already. Just stop once you get the keywarden.

A couple other tips that might be useful:

Don't stand and channel for long periods of time except against a room full of mobs or elites. If there's just a few, do a quick beam and run through to finish off with arcane blast or whatever it's called (Button #1). At MP1 pretty much everything should die in a very short beam blast, except phase beasts, demon tremors, and those big guys with the club (golgar or something).

With Scramble, run right up to mobs before beaming them so you have a higher chance of getting hit, beam them down real fast, and you should still have a second or two of increased speed from scramble.

Use teleport often. I'd even take the illusionist passive over evocation for more teleports against elites or other hard hitting mobs. Free teleports make runs faster and increases survivability if that's an issue.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Quote from Jaetch

Can try dropping down to MP1 if 2 is still too slow (and your EXP rate does seem a tad slow). Run a Hellfire Ring at least to speed it up (remember, you're essentially reducing the overall time you need to take by 35%).

Also try running Storm Armor-Scramble. You don't have to attempt to suicide to get the speed boost. Any little damage will trigger the movement speed buff. This includes the furnaces in Core, Tower of the Damned, Arreat Crater. Just run through the fire and fly. I believe it'll also trigger the moment you attack a Reflect mob, which would make running around to grab health globes much easier.

As for the Hellfire Ring again, try getting two: one for yourself, and put one on your follower for an additional 7%. Also, if you want to go nuts, you can also get a Leoric's Signet for yourself and your follower ^_^ (I don't do that, but I'm sure there are people who do)

Bold text is innacurate this is what i was pointing out

Make your run a little more efficient (farm more mobs @ 5 NV stacks), always farm on Monster Power 0, put a red gem in your helmet and get a hellfire ring.

It doesn't get simpler than that - Here's the run I do and I find it very efficient:
    1. The Core of Arreat
    2. Tower of the Damned 1 (connected with#3)
    3. Tower of the Damned 2 (connected with#4)
    4. Heart of the Damned (connected with#5)
    5. Arreat Crater 2
    6. Fields of Slaughter
    7. Keep Level 1
    8. Keep Level 2
    This is the best exp for me, but you can adjust if you don't like the 2nd tower and the heart of the damned. I like farming longer with 5 stacks of NV better than resetting it constantly
    Quote from Psychatog

If the more we then because 17.4%

Indeed
    Quote from Cryomatic

Quote from Jaetch

Bold text is innacurate this is what i was pointing out

If I'm not mistaken, if X amount EXP is 100% of the total EXP you're getting without a Hellfire Ring, wouldn't adding a Hellfire Ring give you 135% total EXP compared to before (considering it's 35% bonus EXP)? Last I checked, 35 = 35% of 100. 100 + 35 = 135. 135 is not 25% more than 100. And where does 210 and 20% come from? What?

Either that, or you need to reword your explanations more.

Edit: Okay, I see where you got 210 from. You're talking about 75% from NV + 35% Hellfire + original EXP total.

You clearly misunderstood.

The 100% total EXP is the number (be it 58M EXP, 24M EXP, or 61,546,773 EXP). I'm not talking about BONUSES, the 100% means the original amount of EXP you gain without Hellfire Ring, which includes the amount of farming done with and without NV stacks in a set amount of time. The Hellfire Ring offers 35% MORE EXP to the original total. If OP gained 45M EXP in one hour, that is the original 100% of his total EXP gained. Add a Hellfire Ring to those runs, and he would have gained over 60M EXP instead (45 * 0.35 = 15.75 total bonus). Understand?

If it takes 10 billion EXP to get from 1-100, adding a 35% Hellfire Ring will allow you to go at 135% of the EXP rate you originally run without the bonus, essentially boosting your rate by 35%. In other words, you're going 35% faster.

OR: you're essentially reducing the overall time you need to take by 35%.

Edit #2: Sigh... a person (me) who graduated university with a rhetoric and English literature degree should not be the one doing the math.
    Quote from Jaetch

If I'm not mistaken, if X amount EXP is 100% of the total EXP you're getting without a Hellfire Ring, wouldn't adding a Hellfire Ring give you 135% total EXP compared to before (considering it's 35% bonus EXP)? Last I checked, 35 = 35% of 100. 100 + 35 = 135. 135 is not 25% more than 100. And where does 210 and 20% come from? What?

Edit: Okay, I see where you got 210 from. You're talking about 75% from NV + 35% Hellfire + original EXP total. But that still doesn't change anything. The 100% total EXP, I'm not talking about BONUSES, the 100% means the original amount of EXP you gain without Hellfire Ring, which includes the amount of farming done with and without NV stacks in a set amount of time. The Hellfire Ring offers 35% MORE EXP to the original total. Understand?

The hellfire ring's 35% experience bonus is added to your total amount of experience bonuses. Assuming MP0, we are probably talking about 31% from helm and 75% from NV stacks, so your bonus without HF ring would already be at 106%, so you already get 206% experience from every monster (for the sake of simplicity, we ignore building up the stacks).

Adding a hellfire ring will add 35% to this bonus, causing you to gain 241% experience. And while this is an added 35% experience bonus, it doesn't speed up your leveling process by 35%, as your bold text states. Compared to before adding the ring, you will "only" level about 17% faster:
    (241/206 ~= 1.1699..)
    The higher the bonus experience (from gear or higher monster power), the less significant the addition of a hellfire ring becomes; even though the net amount of experience it adds for a specific monster is the same regardless of other sources of additional experience.

Still, a hellfire ring is highly recommended.
    Quote from Küken

Quote from Jaetch

Edit: Okay, I see where you got 210 from. You're talking about 75% from NV + 35% Hellfire + original EXP total. But that still doesn't change anything. The 100% total EXP, I'm not talking about BONUSES, the 100% means the original amount of EXP you gain without Hellfire Ring, which includes the amount of farming done with and without NV stacks in a set amount of time. The Hellfire Ring offers 35% MORE EXP to the original total. Understand?

The hellfire ring's 35% experience bonus is added to your total amount of experience bonuses. Assuming MP0, we are probably talking about 31% from helm and 75% from NV stacks, so your bonus without HF ring would already be at 106%, so you already get 206% experience from every monster (for the sake of simplicity, we ignore building up the stacks).

Adding a hellfire ring will add 35% to this bonus, causing you to gain 241% experience. And while this is an added 35% experience bonus, it doesn't speed up your leveling process by 35%. Compared to before adding the ring; you will "only" level about 17% faster.
    (241/206 ~= 1.17)

Still, a hellfire ring is highly recommended.

Say for example, with a 31% ruby and 75% from NV included, the following monsters give you these EXP numbers:

100, 250, and 400 EXP (750 total).

Unless I'm mistaken, and please tell me if I am, adding a Hellfire Ring's 35% will net you 135, 337.5, and 540 EXP instead (1012.5 total). 1012.5 = (750 * 0.35) + 750. Or does it somehow only net you 17% to each? I never tracked the numbers specifically.

I know what went wrong in my examples here. That's only true if someone's running without any bonus EXP items whatsoever and decided to add a Hellfire Ring for strictly only 35% more EXP than the original rate.

But is it wrong to assume that the original 206% you're talking about is included in the total amount of EXP previously gained? I'm calling this 100% total EXP, numbers-wise, whether it's 10M, 10.5M, 50M, or 75243645. Adding a Hellfire Ring will give this total amount of EXP a 35% boost.

P.S. Hmm, it's very interesting that the rate's 17% faster when included with previous EXP bonuses. This is why I did not major in math in school. Okay, I finally see what the other guy meant in his post, although the broken English completely threw me for a loop.
    Bonuses add up, they don't multiply (just like MF, elemental damage, IAS, and so on) - would be pretty insane if they would count multiplicatively (if this is even an English word).

If you go for the insane max XP bonus, it's
    • +31% from ruby in helm
    • +35% from Hellfire Ring
    • +30% from Leoric's Signet
    • +30% from Cain's Set
    • +7% from Hellfire Ring on follower
    • +6% from Leoric's Signet on follower
    • +75% from NV5.
    Did I forget something? Hope not. Well, this adds up to 214% bonus XP (e.g., instead of ~5000 XP you will get ~15700 for a usual Inferno mob). You can actually see this on your character screen under details. If it was multiplicative, it would add up to 1.31*1.35*1.30*1.30*1.07*1.06*1.75 = 5.93%, i.e., +493% bonus XP. Sweet! :-) (Forgive me if there's miscalculation in there, it's pretty late).

To make this post less offtopic and more useful for the OP: get a Hellfire Ring ;-) As you can see, the less bonus XP you have, the more useful is a Hellfire Ring. Plus, this is for the NV5 case, and the first 2-3 minutes of your run you're not at 75% bonus XP, so the effect is even higher.
    Quote from Jaetch

Say for example, with a 31% ruby and 75% from NV included, the following monsters give you these EXP numbers:

100, 250, and 400 EXP (750 total).

Unless I'm mistaken, and please tell me if I am, adding a Hellfire Ring's 35% will net you 135, 337.5, and 540 EXP instead (1012.5 total). 1012.5 = (750 * 0.35) + 750. Or does it somehow only net you 17% to each? I never tracked the numbers specifically.

Okay, lets break this up. If I understand you correctly, your statement is indeed incorrect.

If one monster adds exactly 100 experience points, which already includes bonuses from NV and 31% exp gem, it gives 48.54 experience points without these bonuses. Lets call that the base experience.

The base experience a monster provides is multiplied with the experience multiplier of your hero. This modifier is the addition of all % experience boosts of your hero, whatever the source may be (equipment, set bonus, follower bonus, monster power, nephalem valor). So these bonuses are additive, not multiplicative. Each bonus always provides a percentage of the base experience as additional experience, not the total experience.

So we already determined, the creep's base exp is 48.54. Adding a hellfire ring adds 35% of this base exp to the total exp, or 16.99 experience points (since we took 100 experience points, it coincides with the previous 17% explanation).

So, from the base experience standpoint (48), the hellfire ring added 35% experience correctly (about 17 points); however, if we look at it from the 100 experience we already get just by factoring the gem and nv boost, we still get 17 points of bonus experience, but they only equal 17% more experience.

The monsters with 250 and 400 exp would net you about 293 and 468 experience respectively, granting you about 878 experience total, which again, equals 35% additional experience based on the base experience (which would be about 364), but only 17% based on the 750.

€ tl;dr in the post above :P
    Sorry Jaetch, but they're right. If you have 5 NV+gem in helm, and you get 100 xp from a mob, adding a hellfire ring won't net you 135.

If a mob is base 100 xp, with 5NV you get 175 xp. Add 31 for gem and you get 206 XP. Add hellfire and you get 241XP. If you get around 100 xp without the hellfire, it's more like 117 or so with hellfire.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Quote from Loroese

Sorry Jaetch, but they're right. If you have 5 NV+gem in helm, and you get 100 xp from a mob, adding a hellfire ring won't net you 135.

If a mob is base 100 xp, with 5NV you get 175 xp. Add 31 for gem and you get 206 XP. Add hellfire and you get 241XP. If you get around 100 xp without the hellfire, it's more like 117 or so with hellfire.

That's really interesting. So even if you don't carry any NV and no other EXP boosting items other than Hellfire Ring, you only get 17% more? Why would that be the case if the property states 35% bonus experience? Mind blown.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes