Dirtpoor noob archon wiz getting started, N help!

Hi!

So today I cleared inferno act 3 (no MP) and I want to start farming. Hope you can help me with the following issues:
    1. Where should I start farming with my current gear, and what MP? Just tried a first run on act3 with MP1, . Did keeps and arreat core, but I died quite a few times in keeps, and in core I got absolutely rinsed... died on EVERY elite pack there. Is my gear good enough for MP1? Or should I keep running MP0?
    2. What gear pieces should I focus on replacing next? (read the gear guides and tried to run the calculators, but still in doubt and I'm ultra poor) Also, should I be focusing on more defense stats or damage stats?
    3. Getting life back. Right now I'm running with just Blood Magic and it doesn't seem to do anything AT ALL... Is a leech weapon really worthwhile? Or should I focus on getting LoH, or life after kill? Life after kill won't help much vs. elites and normal packs really aren't the issue... Either way, a decent leech/HoL weapon won't be affordable for quite some time. Should I save money for this? Do have a 750dps, 1 sock, crit dmg weapon in stash, should I use this over current weapon? If I should get a HoL ring or something, how much HoL do I need?
    4. Using Glass Cannon atm, should I replace this for something like Blur, or Cold Blooded? (merc has a 50% pierce buri)

My char: crapgeezer#2548 (EU)
    Note: already replaced my Firewalkers with a +80 res Firewalkers, and my belt for a 140 int, 70 res all, 90 vit belt.

Thanks in advance!
    2x ring drop, was it 2 identical rings ?
    For a cheap get by you might be able to use that open socket weapon and throw an amethyst in there to get some LoH. It won't be much but if that little bit helps then it can give you some direction. I didn't check out your character so I can't really give any item specific advice. I have two threads in here. First was a general gearing help me thread the second was getting over the 60k hump. Now I'm sitting at 82k with pinpoint active.
    1) Farming mp0 is fine. I'd stick with MP0 until around 100k dps buffed. Raising the MP won't increase your drop quality by much anyway, so just stick with what's fast and easy to survive.

2) I highly recommend replacing your weapon with an all physical weapon to maximize the benefit of your triumvirate. You're losing out on a decent chunk of dps because your weapon has a lot of elemental damage on it. Ideally get one with a socket and Life Steal with higher dps, but the price might be tough since you say you don't have much money. Your defensive stats seem a little low, so you'll want to increase those to tackle higher MP levels, in addition to your dps. I'm around 250-270k EHP on MP2-3 so for MP1 I'd recommend around 180k buffed, in archon form, for MP1 as a good starting point. Obviously the more the better. That EHP is based on Life Steal on weapon plus blood magic rune though, so you might need more EHP if you don't get LS on weapon.

Another decent dps boost, with an all physical weapon, would be a tal neck, but I don't know anything about EU AH prices.

3) See (2). In short, life steal on weapon + Blood magic is great.

4) Keep GC, imo. Cold blooded would depend on your follower hitting the mob before mob dies, and staying alive for elites while hitting them to be effective. You can use blur if you feel the need.

Also, I highly recommend trying the teleport rune for Archon (and Illusionist passive if you can fit it in). I find it much easier to survive with that rune, plus it speeds up runs. With illusionist I don't have any problems using teleport to just move faster through zones because it refreshes pretty readily but without illusionist it's best saved for elites.
    My EHP and DPS Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    My wizard, mostly useful for killing demons and collecting loot.
    Wizard CM DPS Simulator, written in Matlab, release version 1.01
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    So the % dmg boosts from Triumvirate are only added to physical damage? Does it work this way for all + % dmg on items? For example Zunimassa boots and tal neck?

Yep, I figured cold blooded isn't that great, since a lot of stuff dies before merc actually does anything. I'll check if most deaths are from melee hits or not, don't think so, so prob won't have to use blur.

As for EHP, should I focus more on vita, armor or ele res with my current stats? Or just all?

Also, what places do you visit in 1 run?
    Quote from Crapgeezer

So the % dmg boosts from Triumvirate are only added to physical damage? Does it work this way for all + % dmg on items? For example Zunimassa boots and tal neck?

yes they all work the same way
    Quote from Crapgeezer

As for EHP, should I focus more on vita, armor or ele res with my current stats? Or just all?

Also, what places do you visit in 1 run?

Armor and resistances are best because they reduce the amount of damage you take, making your life steal, health pots, and health globes more useful. More vit just gives you a bigger HP cushion to work with so I'd say keep HP below 40k or so and try to increase armor and resistances to bring your EHP where you want it.

My runs lately have been: start at checkpoint right before Azmo, run to portal, clear Tower of the Damned floor 1, if I have 5 stacks go to Keep 1 portal and head to Keep 2 for full clear, otherwise head to keep 3 or Bridge to get 5 stacks NV, then go to keep 2. Finish with Stonefort for keywarden. Sometimes I then head to Crater 2 and just clear until the end or until I hit a dead end and occasionally do the same for Crater 1.

I'm a bit torn about Bridge through siegebreaker's entrence. On the one hand, I like the bridge. On the other hand, I don't like Fields because some of the elites that can spawn are horribly annoying at times (Demon Tremors and/or those flying fireball spitting things). There's also issues of keeping Archon up for Fields, which probably makes it not very worthwhile.
    Comprehensive CMWW Guide, including gear and build suggestions, plus Uber strats
    Arcane Mines Guide, detailed guide for the highest dps wizard build, including vids
    Crater 2 and Keep 2 have such an extremely high mob density that you can finish it with 1-3 minutes on your Archon timer. I always do either of these first and then go to the Fields with at least 40, 50s left on my Archon - that's enough of a buffer to clear everything. Once you're on the bridge, you're fine again, more than enough mobs. The Fields is the only place where I actually don't mind dying: I go up either on the left or right side, and if I die, I just go up on the other side. That way I can completely clear the Fields without taking a detour and I'm at the bridge in the end.

One thing I've noticed: many people take the town portal at the end of Crater 2, because that's what Alkaizer did (I assume). It's stupid: go through the exit and enter Tower of the Cursed, because there is a waypoint immediately in the beginning, plus 90% of the time you'll find an elite pack there. This way, I never have to use the town portal on my "usual runs" (although I always deviate a bit, can't do the same thing 10 times over).
    Archon doesn't really work for low budgets, I would suggest blizzard kiting until you have sufficient funds... Sorry.
    Quote from Psychatog

Archon doesn't really work for low budgets, I would suggest blizzard kiting until you have sufficient funds... Sorry.

Archon works just fine with budget builds. It's pretty easy to get 50k dps now, and that's all you need for Archon at MP0. In fact, I think Morphos made a thread a few days about gearing an Archon wizard for 2 mil gold.
    Yep, that 2m Archon thread is were I based my gear the most on when I hit 60. Really nice!

Took the advice for weapon in mind, and managed to buy a physical 810 dps wpn with life steal for only 500k! Only lost about 3k dps since my previous weapon was holy dmg.

Got lucky and bought a ring for 5k, then sold it for 3mil, so I managed some extra upgrades.
    Now sitting buffed at 90.000 dps, 36,6k health, 3622 armor, +521 to all res (with physical to 670) and 16% dodge.

Thanks for all advice! Now I feel like I'm walking the right path!

Played hydra/bliz during leveling, and in a1 and a2 of inferno, but it's just not the same as DEATH BEAMing hordes in a3. So I'll stick to Archon.

Btw, do you guys kill Azmodan on your runs? I can burn him down in 15 sec Archon, so right now I'm like: why not?!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes