I would like some opinions on my wizard

Hello Diablofans,

It's been quite a lot of time since I touched Diablo 3 ( with the exception of geting to plvl 10 ), and while I'm trying to enjoy the game, I find that my Wizard is lacking, specially the damage.

I'm actually kinda lost at to what should I do with my wizard, should I try a new build? Change gear completely?, just a few pieces? What should I farm? ( There is no problem regarding wps ).

You can check my character here:
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Yazla-2482/hero/452017

Thank for any input you might provide.
    one question, how do you sustain your or any wizard?

I frankly have like no idea,
    If what you're asking if I manage to stay in combat it's basically through not being hit, at all. If you wonder if it's efective, I'll just say I killed Diablo in Inferno before any nerfs to the difficulty, skiping some of the harder elite packs ofc. Right now my strat was centered arround pulling huge packs of mobs and annihilating them with Archon ( since their health is ridiculously low compared to what they originally had ), leading to me being in archon form almost permanently. For that I'd always farm in specific spots. I barely got hit, since mobs died extremely fast, and on the rare times I got hit, my massive health and resists/armor ensured I could take quite a lot of hits and the small life regen I had ended up regenerating more than I lost.

Thing is, I want to take on further into a less hit or miss tactic, as right now, beyond mp 3 I struggle to kill most elite packs and I wouldn't like to keep playing on mp0/1/2/3 for all eternity or just simply playing the Kite game, which I honestly find boring ( some kiting is still acceptable though ).
    For MP0-2, Archon is king and I recommend a high dps pure Archon build for that. If you want to ramp up the MP level, note that it will be less efficient in terms of XP and loot farming, but for that the best build is a CM/WW melee type build. It typically requires high resists, high armor, high crit, 2 pieces of gear with AP on Crit, and a decent chunk of LoH to sustain, so it's not the easiest spec to jump into. However, it is highely effectly and great for groups.

Unfortunatelly I cannot read your stats but my formula for success at an initial CM build is around 90% damage reduction buffed (4k+ armor and 600-700 or so resists before buffs) and 30-40k hp or more, or roughtly 400k EHP. Those stats make farming MP7 pretty easy with a basic defensive CM spec and at lower MP you can swap to more offensive skills like shocking aspect and diamond shards/prism on DS. There are plenty of threads regarding CM floating around here so I'd recommend looking at those if you want to build such a spec.

If CM is out of your price range at the moment, you'll probably need to keep kiting in order to tackle higher MP levels. For that your current spec is pretty good, though I'd drop Archon for teleport and use illusionist, glass cannon, and Temporal Flux as passives. I also like using diamond skin over magic weapon for kiting spec for extra survivability but that's your call.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Off-Topic:
    Hey, Yazla, why is 'The Grandfather' translated into 'El Padriño'?
    I swear, sometimes I just don't understand how people are paid to do a lousy job. Hell, hire me!
    Quote from maka

Off-Topic:
    I swear, sometimes I just don't understand how people are paid to do a lousy job. Hell, hire me!

1st - I thought I had linked the page in english, apologies if I didn't ( it's as easy as changing the es to en though ). Also I don't actually play in spanish ( though I'm spanish ).

2nd - To your question, while it's of course not the best translation, i suspect that naming it El Abuelo would feel pretty crappy. Also, since The Grandfather was also a D2 item and in the D2's translation ( not translated by Blizzard ) it was named like that they might have just decided to keep the name. Also, it might be a play on the movie The Godfather.

Also Loroese, thanks for your input, if you can't check my stats I have roughly 75k hp, between 3-4k armor and 600-900 resists.
    Quote from Yazla

1st - I thought I had linked the page in english, apologies if I didn't ( it's as easy as changing the es to en though ). Also I don't actually play in spanish ( though I'm spanish ).

I hadn't realized that.

After looking over your stats, you'd have to basically totally regear to try CM, though most of your gear could definitely use upgrading anyway.

Archon is the easiest choice of builds to try and it works fine even at MP0. About all you do to gear for Archon is raise your dps as high as you can. Resists, armor, and hp are nice to also have but it's not as important. Life Steal is recommended though, but tends to drive up the price of weapons quite a bit. Crit, increased attack speed, and crit damage, as well as high Int are all the dps stats to look for, depending on slot. Gloves, rings, and amulet can have all of them, though the more stats you have the more expensive they become. Bracers and helm can have up to 6% crit.

I have a couple ideas to improve your dps. First is your weapons. Your 2h has a lot of Int, but it is severely lacking in dps otherwise. If you like 2hs, you should look into getting either a cheap Skorn with Int, or just a 2h with over 100% crit damage, preferably with Int. You might be able to get more dps out of your gold by going for a decently high dps 1h (with all physical damage so no xxx-yyy arcane damage, or poison, etc.), and a cheap Triumvirate.

Second, if you dont mind losing some of your health, you can swap your helm for an Andriel's Visage. They should be dirt cheap for one with 150+ int and they come with 4.5% crit base as well as 8-9% increased attack speed. Look for one with low value for increased fire damage taken and pick the extra stat of your choice, be it searching for over 200 int for dps, or armor or resist all for extra defense.

Third, your rings and amulets are really lacking in dps stats besides Int. Look for some with 3.5%+ crit and decent int (60+) to start, unless you have a really large budget. You might be able to find cheap ones with +crit damage in addition to the crit and int, but if you try to find ones that also have vit, the crit damage will likely drive the price up considerably.

Fourth, if you switch to an Archon build, you'll probably want some movement speed to make things more efficient. 12% on boots is pretty standard and you can also look for a cheap pair of Lacuni Prowlers (bracers) with 60+ Int. The Prowlers have 8-9% IAS base as well as 12% movement speed, though you won't be able to get a pair with crit unless you have tons of money, and it's not worth it for you at your current gear level, as the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Overall, I highly recommend using some kind of dps spreadsheet or web application to check how pieces will change your DPS. I recommend the one in these threads because I wrote it and I try to keep it up to date but there are several others floating around the web that should work just fine. Just make sure that whatever you are using is giving you the correct results and that you're using it correctly before making any purchases.
    Wizard DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, mostly useful for wizards.
    Crusader DPS and EHP Spreadsheet, meant for Crusaders
    My Wizard
    Quote from Yazla

Quote from maka

Off-Topic:

2nd - To your question, while it's of course not the best translation, i suspect that naming it El Abuelo would feel pretty crappy. Also, since The Grandfather was also a D2 item and in the D2's translation ( not translated by Blizzard ) it was named like that they might have just decided to keep the name. Also, it might be a play on the movie The Godfather.

Also Loroese, thanks for your input, if you can't check my stats I have roughly 75k hp, between 3-4k armor and 600-900 resists.

No need to apologise, I understand Spanish anyway (being right next to you guys), and also changed the 'es' to 'en'. But I never knew the sword was called El Padriño in the spanish version. Quite funny :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes