Long live arcane twister! (tank inferno build)

Hi everyone
    I have been following the wizard discussion here since before the game came out, but this is my first post, please bear with me :-)

I like weird builds. I like trying to find meaning in universally bad-mouthed skills and being a bit unique.

I have been a tank/meelee wizard in Inferno for a month or so with good results (up to Act 2 at the moment) and I have been poaching ideas here and there from other posters. I was using the Spectral Blade/Star pact meteor combination with critical mass to quickly refresh diamond skin and frost nova's cooldown.
    I made a random discovery though: Energy Twister (wicked wind) is awesome for this build. I cast it in front of me in the middle of a group and oh my does it trigger critical mass! It crits ALL the time. In a big group of whites I am consistently able to perma-freeze them.
    I prefer it to meteor because:
    -It goes off straight away as I cast it, usually critting immediately
    -It keeps critting over a longer period of time than the burning ground from meteor
    -I works like a charm with life on hit, feeding me back life slowly and constantly as opposed to in big spurts like meteor does

I have been dying an awful lot less and I have been able to stand in fire chains and arcane sentries (with a quickly refreshed diamond skin on obviously). By the way my resistances are 600/700, 7.5 k armor, 30k life and 20% crit chance, so not that impressive.

For my other skills Prismatic armor and either Venom Hydra for stacking pools (as I am still most of the time) or Slow Time Time warp if in groups. I have also recently starting experimenting with different runes for frost nova (either the augmented crit or the extra damage, but even the chain freeze could work).

I'd be interested in knowing what you all think of it, especially fellow meelee mages.
    Try before you buy, but maybe arcane twister isn't as useless as we all thought?
    I'm also a melee wizard, and while I haven't given this a try. I'm very skeptical on it's viability compared to meteor: star pact. Critical Mass uses the same coefficients as Life on Hit (see : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149154265 )

So Meteor has 50%, and the dots on the ground can stack and crit and have a 100% chance to proc critical mass (perhaps a bug).

Energy Twister has 10% per target.

I cannot see how Twister would be better than Meteor, but I will give it a shot.
    Quote from Litania84it

I'd be interested in knowing what you all think of it, especially fellow meelee mages.
    Try before you buy, but maybe arcane twister isn't as useless as we all thought?

what's that a new spell?
    try archon as melee wiz
    Quote from Rufiooooo
    try archon as melee wiz

well, your defenses would be higher, but with no diamond skin or frost nova I think you'll have some problems... how do you survive?

Quote from SolusCoda
    I cannot see how Twister would be better than Meteor, but I will give it a shot.

I was really surprised as well to see how well it worked. Not necessarily saying better than meteor, but incredibly viable. Does arcane twister only ticks once a second? It seems far more than that... bug?
    granted i am only in hell, but my build below seems to work pretty well. i imagine i will have to integrate fost nova in inferno.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WmXkhO!abg!baabYY
    What about Storm Chaser instead of Wicked Wind? Wind is awesome for the stationary and range use, but Storm chaser will give you more twisters and it also looks like the 2nd twister has a higher coefficient for critical mass.
    Quote from strax

granted this has absolutely nothing to do with inferno in any vague aspect or way whatsoever imaginable because inferno is a completely different game and every other difficulty you can literally do anything you want like run into each room with Blossom Of Death and do just fine but my build below seems to work pretty well. i imagine i will have to integrate fost nova in inferno.

http://us.battle.net...XkhO!abg!baabYY

I uh, fixed that for you.
    So here's what happens when you have 40% crit, 13 AP on crit, Critical Mass and Wicked Wind:

Nerf inc? :QQ:
    Quote from ProxyTooMuch

So here's what happens when you have 40% crit, 13 AP on crit, Critical Mass and Wicked Wind:

/youtubelink/

Nerf inc? :QQ:

quite impressive...im aiming for similar build...not quite there yet resist-wise, as im converting my old glasscannon build slowly, but steadily...

im just using a high int/crit/@ shield instead of source and im using force weapon to bump up my dps a bit more

just a matter of preferrence i guess
    Quote from blujay

Quote from strax

granted this has absolutely nothing to do with inferno in any vague aspect or way whatsoever imaginable because inferno is a completely different game and every other difficulty you can literally do anything you want like run into each room with Blossom Of Death and do just fine but my build below seems to work pretty well. i imagine i will have to integrate fost nova in inferno.

http://us.battle.net...XkhO!abg!baabYY

I uh, fixed that for you.

lawl, true
    That video is fascinating. It may be better for single target critical mass proccing than meteor. I'll have to give it a try.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes