Question about DPS number on Stats Sheet?

So I'm completely new to this style of game, never played the diablo franchise at all. A friend of mine told me that the DPS listed on my stats sheet wasn't that important for me as a caster. He says the only thing I should worry about when increasing my damage is the damage increase from Intellect. Can someone maybe clear this up for me?
    I can clear up that your friend is wrong
    There is almost nothing more important for a Wizard than the damage output. After all, that is what they do.

What you want to be focusing on is (in my opinion) a good weapon with decent damage (and also pay extra attention to the +XX-XX damage listed in the stats), a good Source offhand (not a shield, I was mistaken in that the first time, the shield doesnt give extra +Damage as where alot of Source offhands do) because that will increase your damage dramatically.

The main stats will be:
    Intelligence on anything you can get it on, in as high amounts as you can find
    Attack Speed % on your Rings + Hands
    Damage on your Main Hand + Source Offhand

Try and get some Vitality with that if you can, it will increase your survivability when you get to higher difficulties.
    thank you Faithful, thats very helpful ;)

but i have dilema
    sabre with 80 dmg + offheand 8-17 dmg ...
    or stuff with 260 dmg
    ???
    Quote from lignja8

thank you Faithful, thats very helpful ;)

but i have dilema
    sabre with 80 dmg + offheand 8-17 dmg ...
    or stuff with 260 dmg
    ???

The name is Fomorian, haha :) Faithful is the forum member title ;-)

What you have to pay attention to is:
    A 1-handed weapon has the big number (example 80) and right under that a number like 60-85 damage

But some weapons have an additional (elemental) damage stat (placed together with where Intelligence / Vitality would be), if you have a weapon with high base damage, and that additional stat, that will increase your damage alot.

For example: I had a lvl 44 weapon with 83 damage, 118 intelligence.
    When I found a lvl 50 weapon with 102 damage, 150 intelligence BUT with that additional +12-18 Arcane Damage, my total damage stat went up by 750.

Long story short:
    You will most likely get most damage out of a main hand with high DPS and additional Elemental Damage and intelligence combined with that offhand you have now (the 8-17 damage, ideally with extra intelligence)
    sorry for name :hehe:

i have some questions more :)

lvl 50 weapon with 102 damage, 150 intelligence BUT with that additional +12-18 Arcane Damage, my total damage stat went up by 750.

+12-18 arcane dmg is that damage count if i use cold spells ,ie. blizzard, or only arcene
    Quote from Fomorian

What you have to pay attention to is:
    A 1-handed weapon has the big number (example 80) and right under that a number like 60-85 damage

But some weapons have an additional (elemental) damage stat (placed together with where Intelligence / Vitality would be), if you have a weapon with high base damage, and that additional stat, that will increase your damage alot.

For example: I had a lvl 44 weapon with 83 damage, 118 intelligence.
    When I found a lvl 50 weapon with 102 damage, 150 intelligence BUT with that additional +12-18 Arcane Damage, my total damage stat went up by 750.

Long story short:
    You will most likely get most damage out of a main hand with high DPS and additional Elemental Damage and intelligence combined with that offhand you have now (the 8-17 damage, ideally with extra intelligence)

the additional damage is already counted in the big number, also when you socket a red gem in your weapon, the big number is adjusted
    Quote from drvic10k

the additional damage is already counted in the big number, also when you socket a red gem in your weapon, the big number is adjusted

Ah right, I wasn't aware of that. Sorry.
    Quote from Fomorian

Seems like you know alot about this stuff, i have a follow up question for you (or anyone who would care to help. :)
    Does it matter what kind of elemental damage there is on it? I.E. I have been rejecting weapons with + holy damage etc. because i was thinking that it would only increase the holy damage i deal, which is 0 :P
    Quote from shaggy

Arcane + Horde was like trying to play laser tag against 5000 midgets hopped up on caffiene and diet pills.
    i would like yto know how it works, too
    for example, when i have a weapon with +fire damage, is my poison dart dealing fire damage in addition to it's base poison damage?

but to answer Razzi: all +dmg is good, it doesn't mean, that when you don't have holy spells, that you don't benefit from it, it's relevant for resistances, some monsters have special elemental dmg resists (palgue - poison, arcane enchanted - arcane, molten - fire)
    Quote from Razzi

Quote from Fomorian

Seems like you know alot about this stuff, i have a follow up question for you (or anyone who would care to help. :)
    Does it matter what kind of elemental damage there is on it? I.E. I have been rejecting weapons with + holy damage etc. because i was thinking that it would only increase the holy damage i deal, which is 0 :P

The system is actually really simple. Anything that adds damage will add damage to your spells, no matter the type.

If you want to see if it's better to use that 1h + offhand or the 2h staff, just equip both of them and look at the DPS number on your sheet. This number is fully accurate and includes all modifiers, including skill passives. Just pick whatever gives a higher number on your char sheet (unless you really like the other modifiers that are on the weapons e.g. life leach).

Quote from drvic10k

i would like yto know how it works, too
    for example, when i have a weapon with +fire damage, is my poison dart dealing fire damage in addition to it's base poison damage?

but to answer Razzi: all +dmg is good, it doesn't mean, that when you don't have holy spells, that you don't benefit from it, it's relevant for resistances, some monsters have special elemental dmg resists (palgue - poison, arcane enchanted - arcane, molten - fire)

As far as I know, all your damage is converted to the damage type of the skill. Only if no damage type is mentioned in the skill itself (Hungering Arrow) will the +elemental damage be used. But this is just what I assume from looking at the death animations of mobs.
    Thank you for the clarification.
    This widens the range of weapons that are useful by alot :D
    Quote from shaggy

Arcane + Horde was like trying to play laser tag against 5000 midgets hopped up on caffiene and diet pills.
    What would seem logical to me is:

Say for example you have a weapon that adds +Fire Damage.
    Whenever you use an ability that actually says it's using Arcane Damage, it will just deal Arcane damage.
    Whenever you use an ability that doesn't specify any element, it will deal the extra damage in Fire Damage.

But to be fair, I only think the extra elemental damage is applicable to the classes that deal direct damage with their weapon.
    Quote from Fomorian

But to be fair, I only think the extra elemental damage is applicable to the classes that deal direct damage with their weapon.

If you are saying, that the additional elemental damage won't be added to the calculation for the damage of the spell, you are wrong. The weapon damage to calculate the damage of any spells uses all damage modifiers found on your equipment, including any additional elemental damage, regardless of the type of element.

@ OP:

Actually, your friend is not entirely wrong about the DPS number in your stat screen being misleading: The damage for most skills is only dependand on actual damage, including base damage, percentage damage increase and added physical or elemental damage. The DPS number factors in attackspeed as well. Your spells however won't do more damage, if you only increase attackspeed, even though the DPS number got increased. It only affects your casting rate, so spells with cooldowns or with high mana costs will not (or hardly) benefit from attackspeed increase.
    Rules of thumb:

If it increases DPS without significant hit to vitality, equip it.

If it increases crit or crit damage, chill; our main spells cannot crit in this stage of the game.

If it has a lot of +xp from monstah, life from globes, etc, look for better.

Tooltip weapon DPS is one of the main components of our damage output. This includes any +elemental damage (which seemingly just gets converted to the element of your chosen spell).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes