just another ... "Arcane"-Build

Hello fellow wizards! :)

A while ago I was fiddling around with the idea of some sort of "Arcane"-build, involving all the wizard-abilities familiar to the arcane or at least reminding me to it.
    Let me present you the result.

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the whole thing, so lets talk about viability, potential etc.
    Especially since I don't have beta access to try some things out myself (-.-) it would be great to get some feedback from testers.

Link: Arcane-build

Main-idea:
    The main idea is to kite, mobs or to keep them at least at distance as far as possible and to concentrate the casts on a small cone in front of the wizard. We still have AoE-potential, but we are suffering from some cooldowns.

Main-Styles:
    • Magic Missiles (Rune: Penetrating Plast): allows us to keep constant damage up (110%), without spending Arcane Power (AP), the choosen rune has a 70% chance to let the missile pass through the target to hit another one - which might be nice for packs.
    • Arcane Orb (Rune: Celestial Orb): allows us to damage packs of mobs in a similar way to the missiles, the rune allows the orb to pass through the enemies and hit others as well for 170%. The question here is if the Orb still does its 10 yard AoE-damage on first and second hits or just on the impact.
    Defensive:
    • Teleport (Rune: Wormhole): allows us to teleport for 15 AP (CD: 16 secs) over 35 yards, the rune allows another teleport in a 1 second delay. IMO a very strong way to maneuver in critical situations.
    AoE-Style:
    • Wave of Force (Rune: Impactful Wave): AoE-effect hits near enemies and projectiles(?) for 200% damage and knocks them back, slowing them for 60% and stuns (runed) them over 2 seconds. Cooldown: 15 secs, Cost: 15AP. To me this is a decent AoE-Damage source - even if it counts as physical-dmg - as well as a nice way to crowd-control larger groups of enemies.
    Self-buff:
    • Magic Weapon (Rune: Force Weapon): It increases the Weapon-damage by 15% (runed) and gives a 2% chance to knock back all enemies hit. I just choose this in case the weapon dmg is encreased BEFORE effecting castable spell, in sense of increasing the overall spell-dmg. If this won't take effect I'd rather go with one of the shields. Cost: 25 AP
    Cooldown:
    • Archon (Rune: Arcane Destruction): Transforms us into the Archon for 15 secs, and triggers an explosion on use, causing 450% dmg over 15 yards (runed). Might be used either to wipe out large packs of enemies, especially with the ability to extend the operation time by every killed enemy OR to have stronger styles while fighting boss-mobs or champions. Cost: 25 AP, Cooldown 120 secs.
    Passives:

• Powerhungry: Adds 30 AP everytime we pick up a healthglobe. Keeps us spamming! :D
    • Arcane Presence: Increases our maximum Arcane Power by 20 and gives us AP-regeneration for 2 pts every second.
    • Arcane Dynamo: Gives our Arcane Missiles the possibility to stack "Flash of Insight" 5 times, increasing the next non-signature spell by 75% dmg.
    Summary:
    In my opinion this build offers a very balanced way to handle every kind of situation we might face during our journey. We have a few defensive cooldowns to avoid critical situations, as well as to crowd-controll enemies to keep the upper hand.
    Cheap spammable range-spells, able to (probably) cause AoE-Damage on impact allow us to thin out the enemy lines without getting in trouble.
    The hard-hitting Wave of force and the strong Archon-CD help us to make short work of hordes of mobs surrounding us. The choosen passives supporting our damage as well as our AP-management.

Questions:
    • Will our AP-management, especially through the passives, be effective enough to avoid AP-shortage?
    • Are the Arcane missiles and Orbs strong enough to get comfortable through the acts, since they are the only styles we are able to spam?
    Let's discuss!!

I'd be glad to hear your opinions on the whole thing!

P.S.:
    I just overlooked the other arcane-build discussion topic some time ago... so... if this new one here is unwanted by any moderator, I'm willing to delete it or to put my thoughts over to the other thread!!
    I found about 500 Diablo3 Beta Keys u can use it for FREE

Keys are from Blizzard not from hacks.

Mirror 1 : http://adf.ly/72uR3
    Mirror 2 : http://adf.ly/72kEJ

Also Check my Blog-Today I add much free stuff :
    www.Cheats-For-U.blogspot.com
    We don't have a thread for certain types of builds. Its easier to discuss them on a per build basis.
    Do you want to get scammed? Perhaps a nice keylogger?
    "Just google "diablo 3 gold guide" and magical rainbow covered demons will assault your eyes."
    I can't imagine an ALL arcane build not wanting "Temporal Flux" as a passive. All your damage is Arcane based so why not add a slow effect unless you expect all the monsters to die in 1-3 hits.

I would switch Powerhungry for Temporal Flux.
    Quote from emyln

I can't imagine an ALL arcane build not wanting "Temporal Flux" as a passive. All your damage is Arcane based so why not add a slow effect unless you expect all the monsters to die in 1-3 hits.

I would switch Powerhungry for Temporal Flux.

Well, first of all, thank you for your comment. This build here was a first raw draft... but... there is a AoE Slow, a Knockback AND a Stun involved in Wave of Force.
    Anyway your advice is quite interesting, and I think it would work out pretty well to slow constantly with the missiles and orbs, but I didn't choose Temporal Flux with good reason...
    1. because I don't see the necessity to snare constantly, because we can free ourselves with the WoF and we also have teleport TWICE to keep distance
    2. I wanted to have more options to optain AP.
    If AP regen and management will be reasonable, I would most likely exchange Powerhungry, just as you stated!
    First off, I believe teleport can actually be spammed with the glyph... you aren't limited to 2 back-to-back casts. At least that is the case with the youtube video of the rune... it could always change.

Celestrial Orb will only be good in tunnels or narrow places. I'm pretty sure the rune will be far too situational to be useful until you reach a Maggot Lair type area. The orb won't explode, so unless the monsters are neatly lined up, it'll actually do less damage than unruned. I'd much rather either make it cheaper or a bigger blast radius.

I think wave of force also acts against your rune choices. Wave of force will knock creatures away in all directions making it so they are further apart.

I'm not a fan of arcane dynamo either. It's just... not very good. Even if the proc rate was 100% (which it doesn't appear to be), the increase would only be 12.5% (75/6 because you'll need 5 casts of arcane missiles + 1 cast of a non-signature spell). That doesn't even take into account that you're forced to cast a crappy spell like arcane missiles 5 times instead a better spell.
    One arcane build I will have to try is celestial orb and disintegrate, since the orb can be fired faster, then cast volatility, the damage output might be pretty nice, like hitting them with two or three disintegrates at the same time.... So maybe 2 orbs, then volatility, then two or three orbs then volatility,
    I have a simliar build to this one but I don't have any primary skills selected. I'm not sure if ap will be a problem or not but the build is a pure dps and no defense build. I didn't die much in the original Diablo games because I play carefull so I know its not the most popular choice to go without any defense skills but in theory I think it could work.
    First of all: I love the format you posted your build in. Very clean and easy layout. Props!

The build looks good. I would perhaps change Archon for Familiar. That way you'll get a 12% raw dmg boost as well as the familiar attacks.
    It is, however, very hard to judge from sheer numbers if Archon is strong enough to compensate for the otherwise ~15% dps increase.
    Quote from Ruppgu

First off, I believe teleport can actually be spammed with the glyph... you aren't limited to 2 back-to-back casts. At least that is the case with the youtube video of the rune... it could always change.

Celestrial Orb will only be good in tunnels or narrow places. I'm pretty sure the rune will be far too situational to be useful until you reach a Maggot Lair type area. The orb won't explode, so unless the monsters are neatly lined up, it'll actually do less damage than unruned. I'd much rather either make it cheaper or a bigger blast radius.

I think wave of force also acts against your rune choices. Wave of force will knock creatures away in all directions making it so they are further apart.

I'm not a fan of arcane dynamo either. It's just... not very good. Even if the proc rate was 100% (which it doesn't appear to be), the increase would only be 12.5% (75/6 because you'll need 5 casts of arcane missiles + 1 cast of a non-signature spell). That doesn't even take into account that you're forced to cast a crappy spell like arcane missiles 5 times instead a better spell.

1. We will see if Teleport will be spammable on release, but for me it just sounds like we have a 1 second window for another teleport before the CD will set in, if not, I'm pretty sure blizz will balance it. If not, we won't have the AP anyway.
    2. You are right. My rune choice isn't probably the best, I've watched a YT-vid and I think I'll go for higher dmg or explosion radius instead. It reminds me in general a lot of the Frozen Orb in D2 and this is what I wanted to have - the explosion on impact might work out.
    3. Wave of Force and the Rune I've chosen was mostly for situations we are overwhelmed by many enemies, I could imagine this might happen often esp. in the later acts. The ability to free ourselves, without the need of using teleport, and also doing damage, snare and stun to them sounds still good to me. Wider knock back means IMO more time to apply range-dmg.
    4. I read the passives pretty carefully, and I didn't found something more useful than arcane dynamo, it is a constant damage bonus we'll receive. Especially on boss fights this might take effect, yet it is very theoretically and you might be right, that taking another passive, or exchanging the signature spell with something better to rely more on AP use and stronger styles might be the better approach.

Quote from Travincall

I have a simliar build to this one but I don't have any primary skills selected. I'm not sure if ap will be a problem or not but the build is a pure dps and no defense build. I didn't die much in the original Diablo games because I play carefull so I know its not the most popular choice to go without any defense skills but in theory I think it could work.

Of course it is not necessary to use defensive skills, but if we take it for granted that the later difficulties are so hard that we WILL get into trouble (as blizz has stated) defensive skills might be beneficial to handle critical situations.

Quote from Sumsarr

First of all: I love the format you posted your build in. Very clean and easy layout. Props!

The build looks good. I would perhaps change Archon for Familiar. That way you'll get a 12% raw dmg boost as well as the familiar attacks.
    It is, however, very hard to judge from sheer numbers if Archon is strong enough to compensate for the otherwise ~15% dps increase.

Thanks for the kind words! :)
    The idea of the constant dps bonus of the familiar is pretty cool, but won't it just take effect on longer fights or single bosses/champions with large healthpools? If we say that meeting bosses and champions happens rarely, we will normally face smaller packs and trash, if the familiar does randomly damage to one of these mobs and will just do 20% dmg, will this be any healpful? If it does the damage to the target we aim at, it might be something else!
    Still I prefer to use the Archon. Initially I've chosen it as a stopgap for hairy situations, when higher defense and other skills are needed than the ones we primary use (e.g. Orb and missiles) IMO it's more versatile than the familiar - the 2 minutes CD is long, but I think it's still not SO long that we will recognize it on the longer run.
    Wormhole does allow you to teleport as many times as you want, provided you have the AP and you take less than 1 sec in between each cast. At least, it works that way on the emulator.

Familiar with Sparkflint is interesting, as Sumsarr said. It only costs 15 AP, lasts for 5 minutes, can't be killed, and boosts your damage output by 12% in addition to providing some limited extra firepower itself. I don't like Archon until we really see what it's potential is—it's too ambiguous right now.

I would definitely use Temporal Flux. There's no reason to not use the snare, especially since your familiar should be able to snare enemies that it shoots as well. Arcane Dynamo is very iffy to me. I don't like when the description says 'chance' without telling us exactly what that chance is. Definitely don't think Powerhungry is going to be worth it—it's very counter intuitive to Arcane Dynamo, which wants you to be launching lots of magic missiles to build up flashes.

Would also consider using Energy Armor, especially on high difficulties, I don't see any real reason not to use it. 65% Armor is a big bonus, Astral Presense negates the -20 AP, and if you're really concerned about it you can turn it into a +20 AP instead (for a total of +40). On Inferno, I feel like Force Armor will probably be invaluable. You can combine it with Galvanizing Ward as well if you'd like, and be able to regenerate HP relatively quickly.
    Quote from Nightmare13
    Wormhole does allow you to teleport as many times as you want, provided you have the AP and you take less than 1 sec in between each cast. At least, it works that way on the emulator. Familiar with Sparkflint is interesting, as Sumsarr said. It only costs 15 AP, lasts for 5 minutes, can't be killed, and boosts your damage output by 12% in addition to providing some limited extra firepower itself. I don't like Archon until we really see what it's potential is—it's too ambiguous right now. I would definitely use Temporal Flux. There's no reason to not use the snare, especially since your familiar should be able to snare enemies that it shoots as well. Arcane Dynamo is very iffy to me. I don't like when the description says 'chance' without telling us exactly what that chance is. Definitely don't think Powerhungry is going to be worth it—it's very counter intuitive to Arcane Dynamo, which wants you to be launching lots of magic missiles to build up flashes. Would also consider using Energy Armor, especially on high difficulties, I don't see any real reason not to use it. 65% Armor is a big bonus, Astral Presense negates the -20 AP, and if you're really concerned about it you can turn it into a +20 AP instead (for a total of +40). On Inferno, I feel like Force Armor will probably be invaluable. You can combine it with Galvanizing Ward as well if you'd like, and be able to regenerate HP relatively quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

What if I'd:
    • Exchange the Magic Weapon with the Familiar+Sparkflint - since it's not yet said that the MagicWeapon-effect applies in any form to the casted spells. So, I'll get in any case the damage casted of the familiar, as well as the 12% damage buff.
    • Keep Arcane Dynamo (I just dislike temporal flux :S), but exchange the ArcaneMissile rune with Split - to shoot 3 missiles at once. This is just a theory, but it might increase the rate in which we stack up Flash of Insight.
    • If this works, I could as well exchange Powerhungry with Prodigy. We would gain up to 12 AP everytime we cast ArcaneMissiles instead of 30AP on occasion by a dropping healthglobe.
    • Exchange the ArcaneOrb rune to Obliteration - since the Celestial Orb-rune is definitely not what I initially wanted. So we'll get back the initial explosion on impact as well as a higher base damage.
    I'll keep the archon at first and wait how it will work out in the game. The action-vid on the official page looks promising.
    Energy Armor is really cool, and I'd really like to use it, but I really didn't know what to discard for it - probably the Archon if it sucks. But wouldn't this be too defensive?
    I'm tending to say that teleport might be enough to rely on.
    Quote from Maschinentrauma

What if I'd:
    • Exchange the Magic Weapon with the Familiar+Sparkflint - since it's not yet said that the MagicWeapon-effect applies in any form to the casted spells. So, I'll get in any case the damage casted of the familiar, as well as the 12% damage buff.
    • Keep Arcane Dynamo (I just dislike temporal flux :S), but exchange the ArcaneMissile rune with Split - to shoot 3 missiles at once. This is just a theory, but it might increase the rate in which we stack up Flash of Insight.
    • If this works, I could as well exchange Powerhungry with Prodigy. We would gain up to 12 AP everytime we cast ArcaneMissiles instead of 30AP on occasion by a dropping healthglobe.
    • Exchange the ArcaneOrb rune to Obliteration - since the Celestial Orb-rune is definitely not what I initially wanted. So we'll get back the initial explosion on impact as well as a higher base damage

If you think Arcane Dynamo works like that, you would be better off picking Electrocute - Chain Lightning (hits 6 targets) but I guess it's not Arcane....

I'd pick Arcane Nova or Tap the Source for Arcane Orb over Obliteration any day. Reasoning? AP is a limited resource.

For example:

In the beta, Obliteration typically hits 3 monsters on average for me. That's 684 total damage for 35 AP which would be 19.5 damage per AP spent.

Arcane Nova typically hits 5 monsters on average for me. That's 875 total damage for 35 AP which would be 25 damage per AP spent.

Tap the Source will do 525 damage for 20 AP which would be 26.25 damage per AP.

Unless for some reason you really need the burst damage (PvP perhaps), Tap the Source is pretty much always the better choice compared with obliteration. Also, it hurts you less when you have a bad cast that only hits 0-1 monsters. Arcane Nova vs Tap the Source is more a style pick.

//edit: It would be completely overpowered if Prodigy/Arcane Dynamo did work like that so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Everyone will run a Prodigy/Chain Lightning build if it does. You can't pass up getting 24AP back per cast.
    I'd never even considered the potential of Chain Lightning + Prodigy. I agree with Ruppgu, I sure hope that's not the case.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes