[Witch Doctor] Gear and spec progression through torments - atm solo Torment IV

Fixed link (Projax, fix on 1st page too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSxH6teklck&list=UUJWyMsGmibm4OzftxSBwKdw
    Last edited by OSIK.bp: 3/31/2014 1:06:23 AM
    One more "bug" in guide:

"Spirit barage(rune optional)- combo rush essence (strong single target dps with insane mana regen mechanic)"

But in your linked build "Rush of Essence" is not selected.
    Ill correct every mistake soon enought since i am in austria skiing i dont have much time for it
    With the changes to haunt, is it now viable to swap out spirit barrage?

im not really into theory crafting or number crunching but with the increase in damage and its 40 mana cheaper it could be ok.
    Hey Projax,

I tried the build you posted, you said it had low DPs then you reworked it to be stronger and it is really strong. But all elite packs champions walk out of the piranha tornado like nothing, so its not too effective in that sense with elites because I have to run around a lot. Granted I still can take them out quite fast, it just gets frustrating to have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off. What would you suggest to fix this? I know that some to most have a resist to stun, but it seems every elite/champion I encounter has stun resist. Everything else is fine and amazing with the build. I'm just looking for more solidity with the piranha effect on elites and champions. Thanks, Tiranik
    Quote from Tiranik92

Hey Projax,

I tried the build you posted, you said it had low DPs then you reworked it to be stronger and it is really strong. But all elite packs champions walk out of the piranha tornado like nothing, so its not too effective in that sense with elites because I have to run around a lot. Granted I still can take them out quite fast, it just gets frustrating to have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off. What would you suggest to fix this? I know that some to most have a resist to stun, but it seems every elite/champion I encounter has stun resist. Everything else is fine and amazing with the build. I'm just looking for more solidity with the piranha effect on elites and champions. Thanks, Tiranik

same for me, best option is cast zombies before tornado (~3-4 times), and then tornado to pull them. try also zombie dogs or wall of zombies with aggro rune (replace soul harvest) - both easy hold melee fighting packs in one place.
    yep chargers then piranhado, anyway with the new changes to the loot system it seems that fire bats are going to be endgame superios to the zombie charger.. but still zombie charger might be the best solo build.
    Hi pro, since you have the only stickied thread around. Would you put in a mechanics section. EG like I had to go through pains to be told by people that dots decide if they will crit only the first time applied, so either all crit or all don't (still haven't gone home to test). Before this week pets had a cap on +crit damage. You also have no advice or gearing - eg before +critdamage change many WD recommended red gems in weapon. If you are to have a complete guide it needs these things.
    very well
    PS: meanwhile I'll post this separately to get more suggestions

Some suggestions for you:

1. Include mechanics like how crit works for Dots (and how it still shows as white numbers when you get a crit cast). Bonus poison damage will buff something like gargantuans auras, but not his melee (though that's in tooltip sort of). Pets scale with sheet dps - but they don't actually attack faster with your bonus attack speed.

2. talent breakdowns: EG the 30% mana per second increase talent when damaging with a filler spell vs. blood ritual etc.
    IMO since mana regen typically gets rolled off gear the 30% mana per second one is crap, at 50 base mana it's just 15 more mps.
    Blood ritual with a fast weapon casting zombie bears or other spell is easily 22+ mps savings, and heals you to boot (though it is less mp5 when not casting).
    3. TBH if you put some math to it, the filler spells are generally bad still -- if you really want mana regen you can just slot Haunt and Rush of essence. 1 haunt cast will net you 50 mana this way, especially if you use draining spirit you'll be getting another 12.5 mana per second back. The spirit itself will be doing 333% weapon damage per second for 12s, so it's active even while you're channeling your mana using spells -- unlike the filler spells that are just 300%ish when cast (so 0% when casting other spells). It seems like Haunt + Rush of essence is the most mana back you generally will get - especially by dot-ing several monsters before you begin spamming main mana spell.

Yes you'll feel silly spamming haunt on a single monster when facing a single elite, but reassure yourself that it's doing 333% damage a second.. better than if you were spamming darts or spiders. Plus you're getting back that net 50 mana per cast. If there are multiple monsters well then it's just freaking awesome.

The mana back filler spells are often less in all ways, besides doing 0 damage in downtime: Darts gives you 50 mana, but might miss. Spiders are like 36 mana for 1 cast (I think :?). Etc.

4. General recommendations for passives

Circle of life isn't amazing but it'll get you 3 dog tanks, or help you with a dog sacrifice build.

Jungle Fortitude vs Bad Medicine - bad medicine will proc from pets (like Garg-Stinker's aura, but his aura is just melee range). Does Bad Medicine also nerf things like Arcane Sentry, or mainly monster melee?

Pierce the veil: honestly I find this talent a trap most of the time, your mana is useful to do damage.. and you lose another talent to have this making it in effect +20% damage for 40% more costly spells (since you could have gotten eg blood ritual, which would also heal you). But if you have a lot of passive damage from pets and perma-dots... then maybe.

Fetish Sycophants: many people love this as it has a chance to proc with every tick of Bats channel or with rain of frogs.

Creeping Death: pretty self explanatory, effectively something like a 10% damage gain on elites if you use Pirhanado which normally has low uptime. Note DoTs expire if you drop combat with the monster (if you get too far away and it stops chasing you).

5. May be worth mentioning that zombie dogs with leeching beasts and some Life on Hit (from paragon points or otherwise) can be pretty insane healing and significantly contribute to survivability in mid torment ranges. Even just 4000 life on hit with x4 dogs is 16k health per second, plus you yourself will be casting and healing. You can be easily healing 25-30k+ per second at that range.

6. Best items to look out for when gambling with Kadala.
    For example:
    Hats are OP for WD. Whether it's +75-100% pet damage, horrific mimics that cast damaging spells and distract monsters, or the hat that doubles locust/haunt damage per second.

Tasker and Theo gloves give a huge chunk of bonus attack speed to pets.
    Last edited by goldentuf: 4/15/2014 1:34:42 AM
    new build guide is comming out today, ill try to make it as right as I can

thx for suggestons
    Last edited by Projax: 4/17/2014 2:12:50 AM
    new video comming tomorow gear progression episode 2 solo torment IV
    I would like to say that if you switch out any passive for Circle of Life, then killing a few mobs till you get 3 Zombie dogs (30% chance to spawn a zombie dog for each enemy killed), then switch out Circle of Life for whatever the passive you replaced it with. The zombie dogs will stay with you until they die, so its pretty good to be able to get free zombie dogs imo.
    homonculus do the same job for you. There are so many good passives that makes circle of life unusable
    (Hi everybody I just registered...)
    I don't quite understand why zombie bears are not popular anymore - to me, they seems to do much more damage than firebats. Using the right combination of items and abilities mana is not really a problem (reaper's wraps and things of the deep do the job), and with the zuni set, if you are lucky enough to get it of course, you can do a zombie-fetish build. Basically the rational behind the build is the same, but with zombie you can do much more dps by yourself.

I have been lucky with the drops but not with their stats, so currently my gear is far from being optimal, but still I'm liking zombie/fetishes more than firebat/fetishes. What you miss is gargantua, but while it can deal great damage, it get also easily stuck/bugged hitting random stuff.

I'm running this equip/build:http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hdr-2694/hero/35950945

So, since you switched from zombie to firebat, any comment on this? It is just my impressions? Currently I'm (fast) soloing T3 and group T4.
    Last edited by had0r: 4/21/2014 2:09:59 AM
    Not every build uses homunculus and not everyone has it. So that is a good trick to get some extra meat shield and it only takes a group of trash and you can change the passive again after that, the dogs will stay. I observed that aswell and all helps to add to your army.
    Quote from had0r

(Hi everybody I just registered...)
    I don't quite understand why zombie bears are not popular anymore - to me, they seems to do much more damage than firebats. Using the right combination of items and abilities mana is not really a problem (reaper's wraps and things of the deep do the job), and with the zuni set, if you are lucky enough to get it of course, you can do a zombie-fetish build. Basically the rational behind the build is the same, but with zombie you can do much more dps by yourself.

"Popular" is the wrong expression for me for the state of the game. It really depends on your setup and play style. If you feel zombie bears do more for you, you are probably right. Firebats spawn fetishes faster, but as you pointed out once you get zunis there will be no need to spawn them fast really. I played with pile on for a while as it is physical and used %phys dmg on my gear for pets and that rune, it worked great aswell. This is part of what I like about RoS the most, you can basically just do what you want and feel comfortable with and still farm at a good pace.
    Episode 2 - gear improvement (mask of jeram = done) next step - those freaking gloves

solo Torment IV - T3 is atm at stage of speed clearing without much issues

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=oaXRxoqu3fs
    Quote from Projax

Episode 2 - gear improvement (mask of jeram = done) next step - those freaking gloves

solo Torment IV - T3 is atm at stage of speed clearing without much issues

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=oaXRxoqu3fs

Video link takes me to my uploads page. I did find it on your channel though, excellent stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXRxoqu3fs
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes