Locust Swarm problem : can't crit

So, I did some testing to see whether Locust Swarm can crit or not, just to be sure, because it never shows any real numbers. I used the Scoundrel with Hysteria to see if my damage rose when critting. With Locust, it never moved, but every time I hit a crit with Acid Cloud, my dmg went up. I tried all the runes, none of them can crit.

I think this confirms that Locust can't crit.

I think all of us WD would love to have this skill actually crit. It's a good skill that is usable on the lower MP tiers, but the higher we go, the more useless it becomes.

What are your thoughts?
    And does anyone know if this was done on purpose or is it some sort of bug?
    Thank you for testing it and it sucks to hear that it won't be able to crit. I always though locust felt weak and I guess that proves it.

Have you tried if the crit is depending on the cast? and not when it jumps onto a monster?
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    I tried it for over 5 mins, just casting and casting. I was hoping there would be a chance it could possibly crit on cast, but sadly, not even that happened.

It sucks, indeed. I wonder if it was a conscious choice to have it not crit or if it actually is a bug.
    I love this skill so much. I have a Locust Swarm build and it works absolutely fantastic on mp0, 1 and with some minor struggling even mp2, but higher than that and it's absolutely useless.

So, I did some testing to see whether Locust Swarm can crit or not, just to be sure, because it never shows any real numbers. I used the Scoundrel with Hysteria to see if my damage rose when critting. With Locust, it never moved, but every time I hit a crit with Acid Cloud, my dmg went up. I tried all the runes, none of them can crit.

I think all of us WD would love to have this skill actually crit. It's a good skill that is usable on the lower MP tiers, but the higher we go, the more useless it becomes.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.reddit.co...108_ptr/c9e117w

It seems DoTs are supposed to crit. Maybe there is a bug (with Locust and/or Hysteria) and it is worth mentioning it on the official forum !
    Quote from Vulmio

What are your thoughts?

http://www.reddit.co...108_ptr/c9e117w

It seems DoTs are supposed to crit. Maybe there is a bug (with Locust and/or Hysteria) and it is worth mentioning it on the official forum !

Okay, so DoTs are supposed to crit ... which makes sense. So, why doesn't Locust? Or maybe it's a bug with Hysteria (which I do seriously doubt).

I posted a topic on the Battle.net forum section of the PTR, seeing as there it would be noticed more than anywhere else, I felt.
    If people could post in there as well - we might be able to get Blizz's attention, be it in the form of some clarification or even a fix!

- [Witch Doctor] - Locust Swarm : can't crit @ battle.net
    I posted in the reddit topic you linked.
    I hope it gets picked up. I just tested again with damage numbers engaged and they never seem to pop out. I can safely say it doesn't crit - AT ALL.
    Locust swarms crit happens when it JUMPS to a new enemy. Much like Haunt...it either crits when it lands, and does more damage, or it does normal damage the entire range.

Okay, so DoTs are supposed to crit ... which makes sense. So, why doesn't Locust? Or maybe it's a bug with Hysteria (which I do seriously doubt).

You have the answer in the quote already, DoTs do crit, but show no critial hit number i.e. the yellow ones, probably why hysteria doesn't work
    Obviously your tests are in vain if you have not enabled the normal damage numbers.
    Locus Swarm deals critical hit damage perfectly fine.

That's 319% crit damage, absolutely correct. The only "problem" left is hysteria.

e:
    Quote from DonBukka

Locust swarms crit happens when it JUMPS to a new enemy. Much like Haunt not in the middle of it doing damage.

Eh, you sure about that? I'm fairly certain it's on CAST. Either way, it's correct that single ticks can't crit.
    yeah, I'm 100% sure that the the crit for any independant enemy is based on the chance for each individual jump. Much like how Life on hit from Locust swarm doesn't proc per tick, but rather each time it jumps to a new enemy.

I hope it gets picked up. I just tested again with damage numbers engaged and they never seem to pop out. I can safely say it doesn't crit - AT ALL.

Pop out? Like yellow numbers?

DoTs can crit, you never get crit text, though. You just get regular old white text with bigger values. It's likely that Hysteria procs on the yellow numbers and that's why DoTs aren't proccing it.

There are lots of examples that suggest that DoTs can, and do, crit at the appropriate rate and using the crit damage modifier properly. What exact data do you have to disprove this?
    p427 :: 89.1k EK :: 2.47m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Temsen

You have the answer in the quote already, DoTs do crit, but show no critial hit number i.e. the yellow ones, probably why hysteria doesn't work
    Obviously your tests are in vain if you have not enabled the normal damage numbers.
    Locus Swarm deals critical hit damage perfectly fine.

That's 319% crit damage, absolutely correct. The only "problem" left is hysteria.

e:
    Quote from DonBukka

Locust swarms crit happens when it JUMPS to a new enemy. Much like Haunt not in the middle of it doing damage.

Eh, you sure about that? I'm fairly certain it's on CAST. Either way, it's correct that single ticks can't crit.

Ah! I see ... that's just my bad then. I did see smaller numbers, but I thought those were a variation between the minimum and maximum damage, as opposed to crits. Don't know why I came to that conclusion.

Regarding the Scoundrel's Hysteria,
    I found out that Hysteria doesn't proc on DoT's at all, not even initial casts, which is a shame, but that debunks that myth as well.
    Thanks for thinking out loud with me! You learn something new every day.
    Quote from shaggy

Pop out? Like yellow numbers?

DoTs can crit, you never get crit text, though. You just get regular old white text with bigger values. It's likely that Hysteria procs on the yellow numbers and that's why DoTs aren't proccing it.

There are lots of examples that suggest that DoTs can, and do, crit at the appropriate rate and using the crit damage modifier properly. What exact data do you have to disprove this?

I wasn't looking for yellow numbers, since I was aware of those not popping up. It was simply a matter of confusing the smaller numbers and the bigger numbers with minimum and maximum damage. My bad!

Problem solved! Theory debunked!

Thanks guys! <3
    blizz already addressed this and explained why crits dont show up as big yellow numbers
    Quote from wowaccounttom

blizz already addressed this and explained why crits dont show up as big yellow numbers

To clear this up: it wasn't about yellow numbers or showing numbers, it was me confusing the non-activation of the Scoundrel's hysteria and mixing up the lower numbers and higher numbers for minimal and maximum damage.

I know that if Locust Swarm or whichever DoT spell showed numbers, the entire screen would be filled with numbers, which would be a drain on resources, but also a visual assault on the brain. ;)
    Very nice that this got cleared up then!
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Locust crits. Can be seen by monitoring the white numbers closely. :3
    Quote from Elendiro

Very nice that this got cleared up then!

Yeah, I love it that we have a good community that helps each other out! (besides the trolls here and there)
    Quote from DonBukka

yeah, I'm 100% sure that the the crit for any independant enemy is based on the chance for each individual jump. Much like how Life on hit from Locust swarm doesn't proc per tick, but rather each time it jumps to a new enemy.

From experience it should crit per cast. Meaning all jumps from the same cast either crits or not crits. Try using it on scorpion pack and you see their healths drop with the same speed, where if it's crit-by-jump, you should see some mobs drop faster than the other in the same pack.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes