Blizzard didn't test the Witch Doctor!... or did they?

Cmon guys there are BILLIONS of viable builds. I mean, Blizzard and so many here have stressed that point before the game came out. They can't be wrong, they are Blizzard!

Yes, there are. Learn to play.

Cmon guys there are BILLIONS of viable builds. I mean, Blizzard and so many here have stressed that point before the game came out. They can't be wrong, they are Blizzard!

Yes, there are. Learn to play.

Oh no, im in act 3 Inferno with a monk that I spent ~ 2 million on tops. I better learn to play!
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/49800-sharing-my-summon-inferno-build/

My build. You can do Act II with it, i don't know abot Act III as i'm not there yet.
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    Seriously, fuck off everyone who is whiting about WD in any way. The best class in this game at the moment by far, even easilly exceeding the Nether tentacle DH. WD even has most viable skills and runes with mage.

primary attacks - FIRE BATS, dart, bears
    secondary skills - hex(shaman), totem, soul harvest, spirit walk, zombie wall(learn to use it), fetish army(they fucking actually tank).

WD with his all his control abilities and totem + option to spent all his mana in an instant to kill any elite monsters(in solo) makes him the best solo and he has such an awesome group presence with totem and ridicilous control that you just can't miss him!
    Everything is of course for Inferno Acts 1-10.
    and 2/5 or 20% of the runes that the skills unlocks are also somewhat good.

I leveled a WD and played it into act III inferno. Then I did the same thing with a monk. I don't see myself going back before patch 1.1.

Oh, and 2/5 is 40%.

and 2/5 or 20% of the runes that the skills unlocks are also somewhat good.

I leveled a WD and played it into act III inferno. Then I did the same thing with a monk. I don't see myself going back before patch 1.1.

Oh, and 2/5 is 40%.

Why would you do that? Is monk simply more fun or are you perhaps implying that monk is better in inferno?

Short story (or not):

Mana is broken, compared to other classes we have to wait about 30-35 seconds to get all of our mana back if we haven't invested in Max Mana gear, while other classes like the Wizard have to wait a maximum of 15 sec to get all the arcane power back, which just makes mana a terrible resource system compared to others.

The pets of a Witch doctor are really bad
    Zombie dogs and gargantuan is supposed to be our best defense, but they get one shotted by everything in inferno its like:

Normal: Oh wow im so OP with these pets

Nightmare: Hmm... 6-7 shotted that is good enough i just need more vitality cause that's where my pets gets their life from right? (sarcasm)

Hell: OMG! I spy with my little eye something that begins with DEATH PETS EVERYWHERE! Oh why god, why...

Inferno: This is just ridicilous, i guess i have to wait weeks before they fix my dear pets... sad face

The skills that the witch doctor posses is just downright horrible!
    One fourth or 1/4 or 25% of our skills are actually somewhat good, and 2/5 or 20% of the runes that the skills unlocks are also somewhat good.

So with all that being said and im sorry for saying this, but the blizzard testers must have been blind the whole time while they tested this class. I know that most of the other classes have problems aswell but it just makes me sad that the core aspect of the witch doctor is broken (pets).... it's like a library without books.

I personally have my witch doctor stores on the shelves for (hopefully) patch 1.0.3

You think the same as me? Or something completely else? Well you are welcome to leave a comment.

Pets were not intended to be the BESt and only defense. They do need to scale though.

Mana does need some work, Mostly likely by nerfing spirit vessel+big bad voodoo infi mana combo and raising the damage of most mana using spells. This will make using mana for very powerful spells worth the lack of quick regen.

There are a lot of underpowered skills and passives for a lot of classes. So saying just the witch doctor has some good but mostly useless skill/passive list is highly inaccurate.

Yes i main WD inferno.
    Truthfully, I really like my WD. It may simply boil down to the fact that I'm progressing through the game at my own pace instead of trying to race to the finish though. I haven't looked at a single build online to "guarantee" success, changing skills only when I feel its appropriate, and 95% of the time actually picking what I like instead of the norm. I also haven't bought a single thing on the AH since A1 Hell (probably almost 100 ingame hours ago on that char).

I'm not gonna lie, its not easy, especially since the last real upgrade I found was in A3 Hell, but I love farming Inferno regardless. It's probably just preference in play-style, but I get the feeling that so many people are hellbent on actually beating Inferno as quick as possible that they lose sight of the game's appeal. The game doesn't even have any competitive PvE progression, so if you truly feel like you're not having fun because the WD feels so weak, go ahead and roll a different class - there is no downside to it.

I'll stick with what I'm doing in the meantime, I'll probably have all five classes in Inferno by the end of this week, 99.9% self-found and actually using the skills I want because I like them, and not because the D3 community as a whole decides how I should be having fun. I even use pets in Inferno every once in a while when I feel like it :P
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    pets are very durable up to inferno if you keep your gear up to date. armor, resists, and life regen get the job done.

my wd in inferno has all the relevant stats stacked and it's a hit and miss kind of situation. pets are tough against a fair amount of white mobs and even to a point against elites. problem is there's a lot of stuff that can one shot them that players are meant to avoid. same problem with followers. you know, the big dudes slow hammer attack. fire/poison on the ground.

i think my regen at one point was a couple thousand per second. if something didn't kill them in a few seconds with big hits then they would recover fine. so if they let pets scale with health like the CM hinted at, then we may be okay with pets.

i would like to see more damage reduction for pets and followers against things that they intend for players to avoid
    We are farming act 3 in 4 persons (my WD, 2 DH, WZ). Death rate for my doctor is lowest. Overall damage is great + the best control in game (i take hex+fear+slow+zombie wall). With leaping spiders tou can attack from the corners, ramp or just far away from the edge of screen.
    Stop whining, men!

Do u want viable pets? TAKE SPIDERS! :D
    These whine threads exist for every single class. It's Inferno that is incredibly difficult, which makes you feel like you're broken: pretty much every problem you have will be fixed once Inferno is re-balanced.

Also, FYI: claiming stuff like 'Blizzard didn't test this class!' or 'Blizzard don't know their own game!' or anything similar makes you look like a complete tool. If you want your post to be taken seriously, be more constructive and respectful.

Seriously, fuck off everyone who is whiting about WD in any way. The best class in this game at the moment by far, even easilly exceeding the Nether tentacle DH. WD even has most viable skills and runes with mage.

primary attacks - FIRE BATS, dart, bears
    secondary skills - hex(shaman), totem, soul harvest, spirit walk, zombie wall(learn to use it), fetish army(they fucking actually tank).

WD with his all his control abilities and totem + option to spent all his mana in an instant to kill any elite monsters(in solo) makes him the best solo and he has such an awesome group presence with totem and ridicilous control that you just can't miss him!
    Everything is of course for Inferno Acts 1-10.

Fetish army actually dies pretty fast. On champions, his control is severely reduced to a second or less.

acts 1-10? whaa?

Dh have much better damage.

And wizards have much more consistent damage.

The only amazing thing WD has is a high single target damage primary in darts splinters, Decent cc on white mobs, and that group attack speed and damage for 20 seconds. Other than that, they aren't that amazing. the other ranged classes bring much better aoe that is more consistent because of limited mana (besides infi mana for 20 seconds and bears, but bears is broken anyway)
    well i tried to switch it up abit, by going a addling toad build, just for the luls and i must say it works realy good, In act 1 atleast.

http://eu.battle.net...jUXT!ZcV!aYaZYY

Atm i got 25k hp 500 resist 4600 armor ( 5300 with enchantress), 14k damage and 1,5 aps (aps migth be a bit low 2 should be better)

with Horrify Frightenig spirits, I get a whopping 10k armor,

This setup works out great aslong as the gargantua is up and alive ususlay survives all champion packs in act 1, if not CD should be off. He is mostly there to make sure bad medecine is up all the time on the mobs around me.

its a fun build to play i must say, but the pathing of the toads is just horrible some times.

Fetish army actually dies pretty fast.

Die? What?
    The skills that the witch doctor posses is just downright horrible!
    One fourth or 1/4 or 25% of our skills are actually somewhat good, and 2/5 or 40% of the runes that the skills unlocks are also somewhat good.

Applies to all classes, you're not a special little snowflake.

These whine threads exist for every single class. It's Inferno that is incredibly difficult, which makes you feel like you're broken: pretty much every problem you have will be fixed once Inferno is re-balanced.

Also, FYI: claiming stuff like 'Blizzard didn't test this class!' or 'Blizzard don't know their own game!' or anything similar makes you look like a complete tool. If you want your post to be taken seriously, be more constructive and respectful.

Well said and couldn't agree more.

I find the WD to be pretty solid in Inferno. The one thing I'll agree with the op on is pets. It would be nice to have them out at some point in Inferno.
    Hi there,

i want to share my opinion about this topic. First of all, the Witch Doctor is not "broken". Blizzard is a big company with a huge amount of expirience and never do things without knowing there consequences. They only mislead us with there intentional false statement about "we dont balanced Inferno yet". The source of the Problem is entirely diffrent. Lets start with the Skills.

The main diffrence between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 was the Skill Tree. Blizzard claimed that they removed the Skill Tree because it limits the variety of "Builds" and the use of some skills only as "crossing skills". In Diablo 3 all Skills are indipendent from other skills. But this never solved the problem, because one skill deals more damage as another Skill or it has a better effect as another one. This eliminates a lot of combination and the fact that some combination are useless (i.e 6 ccs or 6 high mana cost attacks). The Skillssystem in D3 is more "static" as it was in D2. You could easily put a skillpoint in a skill to increase their effectivness and make it now better as another one. In D3 the only way to modify a skill is to use the Attributes on Gear (+5% Dmg o Fire Bats, 2 CD reduce for ZD). As a result the builds in D3 are highly dependent on Gear. You could "build" a Skillpath for the Tree in D2 and then you ask yourself which gear you need to support this. In D3 its the other way around. The Gear dictates how choose the skills, more then it was ever in D2. But lots of ppl dont realize it and posts plenty of "builds" like in the days of D2 without the understanding that regardless how you choose the skills it doesnt change there static Attributes.

Lets make an example: The skill Circle of Life will always produce ZD with a chance of 5% in a range of 12 yards when an enemy dies. If you take the Zombie Handler or the Skill "Summon Dogs" it will dont become more effective. Its always limited with the factor of 5% and thats completly useless. But with a imaginary item like "+20% to Circle of Life" every 4. Enemy will spawn a ZD and it gets viable.

I talked a lot but it was necessary to understand this point. The viable "Builds" are depentent on Gears. Blizzard is aware of that. But they cant say:" you cant play this kind of build because of the lack of items". As i said before they claimed to be "unbalanced" and take time to slowly integrate new items and solve the problems. And this will look like a progress in "balancing". And the important point is that the droprates, the highly dependant and the new items in future will regulate the inflation of Items and creates a constant moneysource. That was the main idea behind to relocate the Skilltree into the items.

Blizzard doesnt know Inferno, that's the issue, they didnt test it at all from ac3 and onwards (perhaps not even first 2 acts) after they doubled creature stats, they stated it themselves, cba finding a source though.

I do however agree with you that with the patch some issues will be resolved, we just have to wait and see how many have been solved and how many are still out there.
    IDK i agree somewhat with the weakness of pets (even in inferno) since its the essence of the class. I remember a video at blizzcon of Jay Wilson saying "You can EVEN play a PETLESS Witch Doctor build!" and then showed the video, refering to the endless builds you could make. Think what OP is getting at is that the class cant even use pets (why a lot of people chose WD) in Inferno. Yeah other than that disagree with everything else he said.

There are plenty of viable builds for inferno, just none that use pets. unless of course you want a wasted slot. The class was designed around having and using pet support, as for now, deal with it; itll get fixed....eventually. Then all guys that wanna use pets in inferno can get youre rocks off.
    I got mine to 32 other day, and i hate it;

It doesnt fit imo, and the mechanics of it are fun with the pets - but it doesnt seem to work at all

my opinion though
    xox LoLa xox
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes