Summon/Corpse Spider/CC build!

Hey there! Have had this idea of Summon/Corpse Spider/Crowd Control build for ages now. I'm releasing it for comments now. http://us.battle.net...Ujbh!egf!cZYbYc

Active Skills:

Corpse Spiders - Leaping spiders (Obsidian)
    Grasp of the Dead - Groping Eels (Crimson)
    Spirit Walk - Jaunt (Indigo)
    Mass Confusion - Unstable Realm (Golden)
    Summon Zombie Dogs - Life Link (Indigo)
    The Gargantuan - Big Stinker (Obsidian)

Passive Skills:

Pierce of the Veil
    Vision Quest
    Fetish Sycophants

Core idea behind the build:

Basically, the build is based on spamming a ton of Corpse Spiders all around the place. We have 4 tanks up at almost all situations, so we can spam CS freely. We also have two crowd control abilities to control enemies movement/attacking as good as possible. Spirit Walk is mostly there because of the great escape mechanism it gives.

Notice how we have total of 5 skills with cooldown? This enables us to easily access the Vision Quest passive for 300% Mana Regeneration (equals almost free spiderspamming I hope). For activating Vision Quest we DON'T NEED to use Spirit Walk just for the cooldown so we can get away from even the stickiest of situations. Of course we have that 40% damage absorption from Zombie Dogs as well to rise our survivability to incredible heights.

How about our other passive skills? Fetish Sycophants just adds up to our summoning-oriented build. We will be spamming Corpse Spiders a LOT and every cast has 3% chance to produce a Fetish to fight for our side for 60 seconds. Seems pretty good to me.

Why did we choose Pierce of the Veil and not Vermin? Both add 20% to Corpse Spiders damage but Pierce of the Veil increases mana cost! Pierce of the Veil must be inferior then! No. Firstly, we like Pierce of the Veil because we can afford the manacost increase with Vision Quest. Secondly, Vermin increases the damage of only Corpse Spiders, while Pierce of the Veil increases damage from ALL abilities!

Other possible passives you might think for a summon build would be most likely Jungle Fortitude and Zombie Handler. Why not choose these as they enchant our pet's ability to tank better? Reason behind this is that we will be casting Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan on every cooldown anyway because of the Vision Quest, so the tanking ability increase isn't really needed.

So we have 3 Zombie Dogs, 1 Gargantuan, 1-8 Fetishes and 4-20 Corpse Spiders running around in the same time. Seems pretty fun if you ask me!

Skill Rune Selection:

Note: Numbers might be wrong with new patches coming up and changing them.

Corpse Spiders

There are two great skill runes to choose on Corpse Spiders in my opinion. They are Crimson (Fire Spiders) and Obsidian (Leaping Spiders). Fire Spiders give you greatest damage increase of all the runestones on this skill, 52% Weapon damage as fire per spider seems pretty good, it's 208% weapon damage if all spiders attack just once. Mostly they attack more than that, so it just increases. Another good thing includes that we can kill possible physical immune monsters with ease. Bad things about this rune is that spiders have no means of closing the distance. They are pretty slow so if the target dies after you've thrown them there, they most likely can't get to next enemy before disappearing.

Leaping spiders fixes this problem with their Leap skill. It's going to cost us quite a bit of damage though (42% Weapon damage per spider, 168% total), so I'm not certain which one is the better choice. I went with Leaping Spiders still for this build.

Grasp of the Dead

I think only reasonable choice here is the damage increasing Crimson rune. Other rune effects include things like 50% more health globes, -2 seconds from cooldown, 8% increased slow and some weak falling corpses from the sky. I don't think any of these would be better than the 40% damage -> 104% damage increase that Crimson gives.

Spirit Walk

I chose the Indigo rune to this skill to increase the time length of it to 3.2 seconds (from 2 seconds) to get as far as possible from dangerous enemies while they whack away on the physical form/pets. Another good option for this is Alabaster in my opinion. It regens you 22% of your maximum health while Spirit Walking. Other not-so-good options for this build include 22% mana regenerated and two damage-dealing instances of Spirit Walk. We don't need mana regeneration because of Vision Quest and we don't want to get in the middle of the enemies with damage dealing, we want to get AWAY from them to spam some more spiders!

Mass Confusion

I chose Golden rune on this one to lower the cooldown from 60 seconds to 40. Even though we want longish cooldowns to pop up Vision Quest, we want to use our skills often. There is one decent option for different runestone: Crimson with 30% increased damage on a targeted area. I felt this is pretty lacking option to be honest. Small area of effect and 60s cooldown to activate. Need I say more?

Zombie Dogs

This was an easy choice for me. I chose Indigo rune here which gives 40% damage taken absorbed by Zombie Dogs. Should increase my survivability a TON, although it might kill our little Zombie Doggies. Glad we have to summon them again every 45 seconds anyway for Vision Quest. I don't think any other runes can compete with Indigo on this build.

Gargantuan

I chose Obsidian rune here for a good reason. In my opinion it is the best rune for crowd-killing with 30% Weapon damage as poison every second. Other runestones are pretty bad to be honest, except for maybe Alabaster rune. It's pretty lackluster against bunch of units but should be pretty good versus bosses. Why not the cleaving attack? Well, which one is better, cleaving 44% weapon damage attack or single target 25% weapon damage attack PLUS 30% weapon damage poison cloud that hits anything around you?

Ending words:

Please state your opinion and comment on this build and give me thoughts I might have not even thought about!

Cheers!
    reflexii
    Unfortunately most of what you are basing this build off of is no longer current.
    It looks really good bro! Ill surely give this a try with the beta key ill win with this comment!
    Spiders are pretty bad. You end up with 5-6 attacks at 30% weapon damage with leaping spiders, far less with any other rune. AKA less damage than poison dart, but it costs twice as much mana.

With the mana regen buff you probably can keep spamming it, but you'd do more damage with any other ability.
    Ellixmaji: What do you mean? I don't think they changed the runes on most skills any way, they just put them out of the droppable items and made them levelbased instead?

MandyMemory: I don't see how corpse spiders would be worse than poison dart to be honest. Even unruned corpse spiders deal almost the same damage than crimson poison dart (I assume it's still around 211% weapon damage after patch 13). Unruned spiders deal 25% weapon damage * 4 (spiders) * 2 (attacks) minimum, which is 200% weapon damage total per cast. If you say they do 30% damage with leaping spiders, then it's 240% weapon damage per cast MINIMUM. Most of the time spiders hit more than two times per cast, so it's even more damage per cast.

Ellixmaji: What do you mean? I don't think they changed the runes on most skills any way, they just put them out of the droppable items and made them levelbased instead?

MandyMemory: I don't see how corpse spiders would be worse than poison dart to be honest. Even unruned corpse spiders deal almost the same damage than crimson poison dart (I assume it's still around 211% weapon damage after patch 13). Unruned spiders deal 25% weapon damage * 4 (spiders) * 2 (attacks) minimum, which is 200% weapon damage total per cast. If you say they do 30% damage with leaping spiders, then it's 240% weapon damage per cast MINIMUM. Most of the time spiders hit more than two times per cast, so it's even more damage per cast.

dont listen to them. spiders is the most OP spell in the beta ATM. they just dont know how to use them properly.
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson

dont listen to them. spiders is the most OP spell in the beta ATM. they just dont know how to use them properly.

Spiders is a support dps ability that is dropped on open to be followed up by 2 seconds of active ability usage. Using it any other way is a mismanagement of mana. And to the OP the runes have indeed been modified, some to lesser extents others quite radically, another post here on these boards details them.

Spiders is a support dps ability that is dropped on open to be followed up by 2 seconds of active ability usage. Using it any other way is a mismanagement of mana. And to the OP the runes have indeed been modified, some to lesser extents others quite radically, another post here on these boards details them.

maybe in higher difficulties you'll need to do that but in the beta u can use any 1 spell and beat the whole thing. i had the most fun beating the game with just leapers
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes