exploding palm question

Hello guys!
    I'm new to the monk class and I have a question about exploding palm.
    Why does people prefer essence burn rune over the flesh is weak?
    I've seen many monks using that rune... what's to it?
    “Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter”
    99% of people use the flesh is weak. 50% enemy health as damage ( as a base before buffs like overawe, soj) is much higher than 60% damage over 3 seconds from essence burn.
    Then how come others use essence burn? Is there any real reason to use that rune? I don't see one that's why I'm asking... maybe I'm missing the obvious here with essence burn :)
    The only advantage of essence burn is that it can chain endlessly from one initial explosion. So say you kill one, it explodes and now 2 targets next to it are burning, you kill those targets, they in turn explode, and burn additional targets if nearby. But the damage is so small (60% weapon damage over 3 seconds) compared to 50% enemy health (which is huge) that can be buffed to over 100% enemy health on explosion with overawe+soj+flesh is weak.

Invis goes over the mechanics of EP explosion here:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/90173-inviss-monk-end-game-speed-palm-build-for-high-mp/
    The main point to Essence Burn is if there are large numbers of low-HP enemies, and your weapon damage is high. In this case, Essence Burn can set off a chain reaction, allowing you to farm entire spawns of Fallen, Skeletons or Imps with one cast. This is fairly niche, however.
    Alright, I think I grasped the concept, thanks a lot guys!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes