sweeping winds & reflect damage

Sorry if this is old news, but I finally realized why I keep dying to reflect damage packs even after switching to a lifesteal weapon:

The life-steal-percentage of sweeping winds is locked on cast. So when I fight reflect damage packs, I not only need to switch my weapon, but also wait for sweeping winds to fall off.

I tried for a while to briefly switch to my (significantly lower damage) lifesteal weapon for some extra healing before casting sweeping winds every time, but wasn't really worth the damage loss for me. The healing was very noticable, but I only really need it on reflect mobs. Might be an option for some, though.
    Quote from Slandor

Sorry if this is old news, but I finally realized why I keep dying to reflect damage packs even after switching to a lifesteal weapon:

The life-steal-percentage of sweeping winds is locked on cast. So when I fight reflect damage packs, I not only need to switch my weapon, but also wait for sweeping winds to fall off.

I tried for a while to briefly switch to my (significantly lower damage) lifesteal weapon for some extra healing before casting sweeping winds every time, but wasn't really worth the damage loss for me. The healing was very noticable, but I only really need it on reflect mobs. Might be an option for some, though.

Sweeping wind probably bugged, cuz if you cast after blindig flash -30%- and healing dps -15%- buff you will get these bonus on sweeping wind until fall down.
    I knew the damage is locked on cast, what I didn't realize till a few days ago is the lifesteal-precentage is as well. :)
    I haven't actually tested this, but I believe, because your off-hand LS is shared with your mainhand LS, your SW SHOULD lock in your off-hand LS even when you cast SW with your main-hand as your current wep.

This means you should not be seeing a difference in SW LS when you cast it duel-wielding no matter which wep you cast the SW with.

It bears further testing though!
    The way Sweeping Wind works, as I understand it, is that the moment you cast it a "snapshot" of your current stats is taken and stays with that cast of Sweeping Wind until it falls off. What I wonder though is what happens if you refresh SweepIng Wind by casting it a second time? Does it still count as the initial cast, or is it a new one overriding the old?
    Quote from aldrek

The way Sweeping Wind works, as I understand it, is that the moment you cast it a "snapshot" of your current stats is taken and stays with that cast of Sweeping Wind until it falls off. What I wonder though is what happens if you refresh SweepIng Wind by casting it a second time? Does it still count as the initial cast, or is it a new one overriding the old?

This I have tested very thoroughly.

SW does snapshot your stats when it is initially cast and then keeps that snapshot until it falls off.
    If you manually refresh it by casting the skill again before the buff ends, it will keep its initial snapshot.
    This is the only reason I can see for using 4 piece Inna's.

-Druin, the happy monk
    Swapping in a different weapon does not affect the damage from the SW snapshot, however, swapping in a weapon with LS or LoH you did not have prior still grants you these bonuses.

I snapshot SW with a skorn with no LS, Blind, and Breath. I then swap weapons to my two LS weapons. I'm most definitely getting my Life steal after the SW is cast and maintained.
    Quote from Shatterbox

Swapping in a different weapon does not affect the damage from the SW snapshot, however, swapping in a weapon with LS or LoH you did not have prior still grants you these bonuses.

I snapshot SW with a skorn with no LS, Blind, and Breath. I then swap weapons to my two LS weapons. I'm most definitely getting my Life steal after the SW is cast and maintained.

Edit: I have not tested your method of equipping a zero LS wep then switching to LS weps, so I will do that when I get a chance.

However, it certainly does NOT function the other way. If you have a LS Skorn equipped, then cast SW, then switch to no weps at all, your SW will certainly heal you based on the LS of the Skorn.

Due to this, I assume if your Skorn does not have LS, you will never gain hp from SW and you are simply seeing the HP gain from your FoT, not your SW.
    There is a delay in LS no matter what is the mechanics behind.

LOH, life regen and life after kill are better in taking down reflec damage monsters.

Nevertheless, those are tough and dangerous monsters, and I have to kill them in 2 or 3 stages.

We both down in health, but I can regain my health by picking up life globes, hit and kill some minions or walking around.

Blizzard is going to mark them with auras, else we'd die within seconds of the engagement.
    so whats a temp solution right now? I was thinking of getting a low dps 2H for swap, but it has to have like 1800+ loh and 5+ ls just so our dps is lower, and the sustain is higher?
    Try not to AoE them (hit more than 1 at same time), and switch to a High LoH weapon/gear when u find reflect dmg mobs. I have a Shenlong's with 800 LoH which I carry in my bag and swap out for my MH Echoing Fury which doesn't have any LoH, my offhand has about 700 LoH, and with 1500 LoH suddenly reflect dmg becomes piece of cake.
    Okay, I tested every possible combination of LS + non-LS with wep swaps + SW.

If you have LS when you cast SW, SW will have that LS.
    If you do not have LS when you cast SW, SW will have no LS.

Your "current" set of gear is irreverent as far as LS is concerned.

This means you really want a LS Skorn :P

Quote from KdLoL

so whats a temp solution right now? I was thinking of getting a low dps 2H for swap, but it has to have like 1800+ loh and 5+ ls just so our dps is lower, and the sustain is higher?

LoH on your 2h swap would be silly because SW doesn't proc LoH.
    Quote from Druin

SW is ridiculously broken. Even neglecting gear prices this is mad, but if you take into account the amount of gold you can save even if you just swap weapons and not all gear... it's crazy.

I assume that Blizzard is aware of this, however I don't know to which extent they understand it. I wonder if and how they will fix this.

Btw, to make things even more ridiculous, have you ever tried to snapshot skills? It should be possible to cast SW with the foresight (and combination strike) buffs active, and then change back to serenity and fleet footed for example.
    so to sum it up:

swapping to a "healing weapon" with loh/LL after you get your sweeping wind up, will not give any healing from sweeping wind? i thought, lifeleech is just calculated from your the damage you do right now .... is this tested well enough to be sure?
    you'd lose far above 50% heal from LL, since sweeping wind does a lot of your damage, especially in aoe situations...

btw: if you just activate it with your healing weapon, you will still lose the stats from your "normal offhand", so you could just always use the healing weapon... swapping in a skorn just for getting sweeping wind up, seems rediculous too.

did i get this right or is it not proven? this would mean, swapping is not that beneficial (though i'd still do it on tight situations or ubers) and you just have to get LL for your "standart weapons".
    Quote from Druin

Have you tested if SW takes LS bonus from offhand? My guess would be yes, but have never though ls woth be snapshotted in the first place...
    I think SW is an exception, as it works with Snapshots. DPS, LoH, LS is all snapshotted from current equipped gear when you cast it.

The question though I always wondered was, when you have 3 stacks of SW, then you hit SW button to keep it up between packs, does it snapshot again or does it keep the old snapshot when it was first cast at 0 stacks?
    Quote from Zuchi

I think SW is an exception, as it works with Snapshots. DPS, LoH, LS is all snapshotted from current equipped gear when you cast it.

The question though I always wondered was, when you have 3 stacks of SW, then you hit SW button to keep it up between packs, does it snapshot again or does it keep the old snapshot when it was first cast at 0 stacks?

That question has been answered a lot of times. When you refresh the skill while running it keeps the snapshot.
    I have never played monk so I don't have any insight as far as how this skill is working. However, I do know that you can right click on a buff icon to cancel it. Maybe that would help to get a recast up sooner to bring your life steal weapon into play?
    Quote from Bananaramaaah

so to sum it up:

swapping to a "healing weapon" with loh/LL after you get your sweeping wind up, will not give any healing from sweeping wind? i thought, lifeleech is just calculated from your the damage you do right now .... is this tested well enough to be sure?
    you'd lose far above 50% heal from LL, since sweeping wind does a lot of your damage, especially in aoe situations...

btw: if you just activate it with your healing weapon, you will still lose the stats from your "normal offhand", so you could just always use the healing weapon... swapping in a skorn just for getting sweeping wind up, seems rediculous too.

did i get this right or is it not proven? this would mean, swapping is not that beneficial (though i'd still do it on tight situations or ubers) and you just have to get LL for your "standart weapons".

I have tested it 100%. If you cast SW and you do not have LS at the time, your SW will not gain LS from further weapon changes until you let the buff drop completely and then re-cast it.

Furthermore, PLEASE DO NOT SNAPSHOT LOH!!!! SW does NOT have a Proc Coefficient and therefore will gain NOTHING from an LoH wep.

I will test the "does offhand LS effect mainhand snapshot SW" problem later when I get off work.

-Druin, the happy monk
    Quote from Bearbarian

I have never played monk so I don't have any insight as far as how this skill is working. However, I do know that you can right click on a buff icon to cancel it. Maybe that would help to get a recast up sooner to bring your life steal weapon into play?

Thanks :) Now I feel really stupid for not thinking of this.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes