How do you deal with reflect damage?

Hey.

I am at 100k unbuffed dps with 30k life, 500 res, 5k armor, also 400 LoH, pickup radius and extra health globe heal. Standard cookie-cutter build without SSS. I usually do mp4-5 keyruns (could probably manage higher mp, but I prefer doing a couple more runs instead of spending a lot more time on one run), also I play with friends a lot.

I know my survivability might be a little low, but I can handle almost everything on these monster powers with ease, except reflect mobs. If I play alone, I can usually kill a couple in one serenity, or at least make some globes drop, but I kill myself so fast, its hard to just rely on the globes. Also coupled with other nasty stuff (electrified, molten, extra health!) or on hard enemy type with huge damage or much hp, or when playing in a team it becomes a pain, and I am forced to wait for serenity all the time.

I cannot affort a decent weapon with lifesteal at the moment, so I recently picked up a weak dps weapon with 3% lifesteal, 900 LoH and socket for additional LoH. I swap my weapon for reflect mobs, which makes me facetank most of them (and the occasional nasty molten/electrified/firechains/plagued combinations ;)).
    It drops my dps by about 40% for the encounter, which is not a big deal, but its really annoying to do, and I would like to avoid doing that all the time. However, its stupidly effective right now, I basically never die anymore as opposed to the occasional 2-3 deaths per run to reflects; and it ups the killspeed a TON vs these mobs. Also, it would be ineffective to run that much recovery on my main weapon setup, knowing I don't need it 90% of the time, not to mention costing a fortune if you want it on a weapon with decent dps.

So, how do you deal with reflect damage? Do you have a better suggestion for me?
    - look out for life on hit on jewelry, with everyone only eyeing with trifecta stats it's quite affordable.
    - up your resistance and hitpoints, greatly increasing your effective health points.

Besides that there's not much more to do besides saving up for a lifesteal weapon. But buying one with mediocre dps (900ish), socket, dex and lifesteal but without crit damage isn't to expensive actually. You'll probably drop some dps in the process but don't have to swap weapons any longer.
    Quote from ballon

- look out for life on hit on jewelry, with everyone only eyeing with trifecta stats it's quite affordable.
    - up your resistance and hitpoints, greatly increasing your effective health points.

Besides that there's not much more to do besides saving up for a lifesteal weapon. But buying one with mediocre dps (900ish), socket, dex and lifesteal but without crit damage isn't to expensive actually. You'll probably drop some dps in the process but don't have to swap weapons any longer.

I made a switch to dual lifesteal and never looked back. It's a huge dps compromise but it's fairly effective to ignore most affixes, including reflect damage.

Three ways to combat it:

1. more mitigation
    2. more regeneration
    3. immunity spec, (beacon sss blind serenity)
    Lifesteal makes a huge difference, combined with a tactical change.

Im have 110k dps, 2.9% lifesteal, cookie cutter.
    When I get a reflect group, I run past them & grab a bunch more mobs into the fight.

Once I have a nice big crowd (or 2nd elite pack),
    I go back & concentrate on the reflect-ers, lifesteal from aoe on the adds usually easily outheals the damage.
    If health gets a bit low, I turn & beat on the adds for a few secs to regain health
    Another thing to consider, if your crit chance is high enough, is to try using a rune on your basic attack that gives you extra spirit on crit (I forget the name of it but I use it instead of Thunderclap), and combine this with weapons and/or a helm that grants life per spirit spent.This is actually how I survived early on while I was gearing my monk, but now I still use it because of how much survivability it grants and I'm so used to gaining life that way. If your crit is high enough, you basically gain so much spirit that you can use your mantra every second or two, which will hopefully counteract the reflect damage.

I don't know how much gold you have, but you should be able to find a pretty inexpensive Shenlong's Fist of Legend, and they always have some amount of life per spirit spent.
    Quote from N3lson

Lifesteal makes a huge difference, combined with a tactical change.

Im have 110k dps, 2.9% lifesteal, cookie cutter.
    When I get a reflect group, I run past them & grab a bunch more mobs into the fight.

Once I have a nice big crowd (or 2nd elite pack),
    I go back & concentrate on the reflect-ers, lifesteal from aoe on the adds usually easily outheals the damage.
    If health gets a bit low, I turn & beat on the adds for a few secs to regain health

This is also my favorite method to deal with reflect packs... always try to keep other mobs around, and when my health gets low, I start hitting the other stuff :)
    Serenity + Blind Flash + Seven Sided Strike. Works pretty fine for me.
    I'm also a weapon switcher. But to be more precise:
    For normal mobs/elites w/o RD I'm using LoK 2600 on one weapon for total life input.
    For RD I switch to 2,2+2,9 life steal daggers, with IAS. The trick I use is the 1,4k Skorn with perfect stats that sets my Sweeping Wind damage. Then with higher AS with those daggers I'm not as affected by the 30% drop in dps when switching for life steal. And they also generate more cyclones.
    Also sync blinding flash with serenity makes it eaiser
    as mentioned in another post, more armor + loh is working just fine.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes