Patch 13 Monk Changes

I have to say I am a little disappointed with the patch 13 monk changes with the monk getting weaker. Especially if you compare with the massive damage that the barbarian can inflict. This reduction makes the early gaming with the monk more difficult. Don't know about higher level gaming though..

Reading over Jays post again it looks like they wont scale... at least not with lvl. But there is still this rumor about affixes that affect your Skills. And I hope its true... Exploding Palm Ingdigo going down from 5 to 2 Targets is pretty hard. Even if I can agree that 5 Targets was a little much... going straight down to 2 is a little hard.

Yea I thought the same thing, I could understand 4 or even 3 but straight to 2... Ouch. Thats why I thought maybe it scales so it might come up a couple during levels. Hopefully the affixes will bring it up. I was really looking forward to Exploding Palm with Indigo.

Some of the hidden nerfs are devastating to me :P

Mainly Wave of Light being nerfed so it only does 33% of the weapon damage it did before... It went down to 150% weapon damage on casting and 150% in a line down from 450% and 450% :(

That one did look pretty harsh, but most ppl will be using Dashing Strike in that one anyway.. I know I will. Kinda screwed how they've categorised our skills though. Dont really like that we cant neglect mantras anymore..
    Not sure what to think of the mantra of evasion nerf. I don't know how powerful it was but this is quite a nerf. On the other hand when I think about it so much dodge might have been a bit too powerful.

[...]

That one did look pretty harsh, but most ppl will be using Dashing Strike in that one anyway.. I know I will. Kinda screwed how they've categorised our skills though. Dont really like that we cant neglect mantras anymore..

You still can not choose a mantra if you choose to diable the skill categories. The Skillsystem has an elective mode.
    They have been messing around a lot with the Breath of Heaven skill, and i like it how they did it this patch. Breath of Heaven is not supposed to be a spammable ability that you can just work into a rotation. Nobody likes potion spamming, and a Breath of Heaven without cooldown is starting to look a lot like the potion spamming in Diablo 2.
    The monk's strong suit is his ability to have an option in an emergency situation, and the new Breath of Heaven ties into that.

You do realize you can go in the options menu and put on elective mode, which allows you to use any skill in any slot. So you don't need a mantra, and you don't have to make a choice between Wave of Light and Dashing Strike, you can have both.
    Hey All,

Just wondering a couple things about theBeta as I haven't had the opportunity to try it but have been following info when I can. Since patch 13 and the introduction of Runestones. Are you able to use Runestones with the Mantras available now? If so, what kind of affects did it have? The Runestones seem really interesting when applying to all the Skills and Mantras. I'd love to try out the Monk and it will definitely be my main. Any bits of information I can get before release would be awesome! Also any fav skills and runestones for anyone so far?

Thanks!

You do realize you can go in the options menu and put on elective mode, which allows you to use any skill in any slot. So you don't need a mantra, and you don't have to make a choice between Wave of Light and Dashing Strike, you can have both.

I thought that just meant you could put whichever category into whichever hotkey but looks like at least for now you can swap and change. Thats good, but they really ruined Wave of Light so I doubt ill be going for that one anyway. Does open it up to replace a mantra with Lashing Tail Kick though.
    for me , the heavy nerfs are in the rune system . using the same build after these changes realy hurts the monk's utility and damage .

examples :

mystic ally health bonus is now 10% down from 50%

crippling wave concussion now gives a 20% damage reduction debuff instead of 40%

conviction mantra with intimidation now gives a 10% damage reduction down from 30% (which makes mantra of healing more viable)

wave of light and pillar of the ancient damage - severly decresed from 450%+450% to 240%+240% (which I've replaced with 7-sided with sudden assult for single target )

cyclone strike's conflag no longer deals additional damage but this is close to be our only viable AoE so I kept it with the 20% to dodge .

in short , even though patch 13 nerfed monk's pretty bad in terms of damage and damage reduction it is still very capable and has great survivablity . imao , still the best class for HC and soloing .

this is my current build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#VgUhkR!aUV!ZaaccY

p.s.

^^ constructive long post . gimme a beta key please :-)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes