Help with gearing up your DH

Hi guys, I couldn't find similar topic so.....

I am quite fresh to Inferno difficulty so I decided to get a brand new gear.
    My gold limit is aprox. 10-15kk. What would you recommend? It would be helpful if you could post gear
    (what pieces, what stats on what, prices for items etc.) and how much would such gear cost.
    It would really be great if u could post gear in which I could take on entire Act IV. If its not possible, please post some set of gear in which that could be done, and how much it would cost.
    Thanks for help.
    Assuming glass cannon -

Get a weapon with a socket, dex, and high weapon damage. Extra crit dmg bumps the price up alot more than dex, and at low gear lvls, dex will be almost as effective. Expect to throw 33% of the cash you spend on your wep.
    Boots with +12 movement speed, and Dex. Perhaps forego the dex and get a natalya's chest/boots/helm for cheap, for the 7% crit chance and 130 dex it'll provide - when you have enough money, you can get the ring to finish the set, and have your disc bonus. Untill then, 7% crit and 130 dex should make up for the "lost" dex from having a better chest/helm/boots. Alltogether it'll probably cost you 4-5M.
    That leaves 5M for rings, shoulder, amulet, quiver, belt, bracers and legs. Shoulder/belt just get the highest dex possible, no other interesting stats there. Bracers, get the highest combination of crit chance and dex you can - atleast 3% crit 150 dex (path of glory bracers should have that easily for like, 500K or so?).
    Gloves, get the highest crit dmg+crit chance with dex on as possible. Can find quite cheap ones, as people craft shittons of 6 prop gloves.
    Quiver, get any quiver with 8.5% crit and some dex. Disc bonus added on top will cost ALOT, without, you can get one for like, 100-200K.
    Rings, get Dex/crit dmg or Dex/Crit chance. You won't have enough to go for double affix.
    Same goes for amulet. Assuming you went for the natalya's 3 set, then you should have 7%+3%(bracers)+8.5%(quiver)+7%(gloves)+5%(Natural)=30.5% atleast, making a quite good base. So whether you get crit dmg or crit chance on rings/amu is up to you.

IAS is a good stat, but crit/critdmg will benefit you more till you get money.
    I wouldn't recommend to gear for glass cannon, since the nerf of NT and over all mobs' damage in act 2-4 inferno.

check out TryHard's video guide on how to gearing up a DH for inferno

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/64454-tryhard-demon-hunter-inferno-guide/
    Quote from Ameko

I wouldn't recommend to gear for glass cannon, since the nerf of NT and over all mobs' damage in act 2-4 inferno.

check out TryHard's video guide on how to gearing up a DH for inferno

http://www.diablofan...-inferno-guide/

NT has/had nothing to do with glass cannon. And DH's, unlike every other class in the entire game, has no passive abilities that lets them mitigate damage, only one on-use that you can't keep up due to huge disc cost without 4set nats, and their extremely small ranged 15% reduc from our turret. Glass cannon is king.
    NT has/had nothing to do with glass cannon. And DH's, unlike every other class in the entire game, has no passive abilities that lets them mitigate damage, only one on-use that you can't keep up due to huge disc cost without 4set nats, and their extremely small ranged 15% reduc from our turret. Glass cannon is king.

Glass cannon was way more viable prior to the NT and IAS nerf due to the fact that most people achieved 2.5+ attack speed / second, that multiplies SS resets after 1sec, as well as NT being able to hit more than one time. All these adds up to a HUGE opening burst for a properly geared DH. But right now with both nerfs to IAS and NT, you can probably only counting on Impale and Cluster Arrow that heavily rely on crit chance (or SS).

Plus the fact that playing a 0 all resist glass cannon requres a very high attention at all time, and that can be extremly frustrating when everything can one shot you. Keep in mind that you used to need 400+ AR to survive a spearman's range attack before the mob damage nerf, but now it only hits 13k with 200 AR (before Gloom)

I would be able to achieve 250k dps with SS for the same amount of investment on gears I made, but I find it's way more effective when you can tank everything on your face and not to worry about a trash mob, or damage reflect afflix.

At last, you don't need Nat 4 set to make Shadow Power viable. With disc on both quiver and cloak, an easily achieved 300 all resist and 30k hp, you can pretty much tank all elite packs with ease.

Edit: I wouldn't be recommending a gear set with moderate AR to OP unless he has atleast 10mil gold. In this case he does.
    Not getting any survivability is stupid as fuck the cost is of getting 300allres is not all the high + 30k health pool but that benefits are out of this world. that + 35-40k dmg (no ss) can be done within the price range of 1mill. at least I did it twice now and only used 1hour total on the AH

thats also with 45+ disc
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nugiyen-1382/

Looking for EU people to team up with - ( Only top of the line players from EU )
    Quote from Ameko

Glass cannon was way more viable prior to the NT and IAS nerf due to the fact that most people achieved 2.5+ attack speed / second, that multiplies SS resets after 1sec, as well as NT being able to hit more than one time. All these adds up to a HUGE opening burst for a properly geared DH.

Plus the fact that playing a 0 all resist glass cannon requres a very high attention at all time, and that can be extremly frustrating when everything can one shot you. Keep in mind that you used to need 400+ AR to survive a spearman's range attack before the mob damage nerf, but now it only hits 13k with 200 AR (before Gloom)

I would be able to achieve 250k dps with SS for the same amount of investment on gears I made, but I find it's way more effective when you can tank everything on your face and not to worry about a trash mob, or damage reflect afflix.

At last, you don't need Nat 4 set to make Shadow Power viable. With disc on both quiver and cloak, an easily achieved 300 all resist and 30k hp, you can pretty much tank all elite packs with ease.

No one that has any idea how math works uses Sharpshooter anymore as Glass cannon - you no longer rely on big bursts of damage as glass cannon, you rely on the ability to sustain incredibly high DPS to optimize the speed at which you clear the acts in order to make your farming more effective. If your idea of a glass cannon is still someone that can take down mobs in a few seconds, then I'm sorry to say you're outdated - right now, a Glass Cannon DH will:

Have 4 set Nat's, along with Vault and Tactical Advantage in order to increase speed - a 100% uptime on a 72% movement speed-boost is incredibly valueable for speed-farming. Along with this, it allows us to use Smokescreen every 3.5 seconds, rather than every 14 seconds (for an uptime of 43% Rather than an uptime of 11%).
    Have a decent chunk of magic find on their items, meaning you will need to either not switch to MF at all (saving time and avoiding possibly getting gibbed by the elite you're trying to kill), or switch very little gear (I switch 4 items, 3 of my Natalya's pieces and my trifecter gloves - the rest of my items have max or close to max MF).

In any case, even assuming that you have 50 Disc (which means you got a 10 disc quiver and chest), shadow power - gloom costs 14 disc per, and lasts for 3 seconds, which means:

You will get 4 Glooms, for a total of 12 seconds, in a row. This regens 12 focus, allowing for a fifth gloom (due to the 2 excess disc from before).
    Which means you will have 15 seconds of being protected, and after that, 3 seconds of being able to take any major damage every 14 seconds (or a 21% uptime). Assuming you use prep and it doesn't proc, you'll be protected for half a minute.

Shadow Power for a glass cannon with 30 disc will be useable twice (for 28 disc), and then an additional third time due to the regen (4 seconds*3disc = 12 disc + the 2 leftover). This gives you 4.5 seconds out of 6 being protected, and then an additional 1.5 seconds every 3.5 seconds (or, as mentioned, 43% uptime).
    Regardless, Smoke screen with Nat's 4 set as a glass cannon has a much better uptime than Shadow Power: Gloom does - and you can't get killed through Smoke Screen.

The most optimal way to go would be using Shadow Power *and* nat's 4 set, but Shadow Power still requires you to have an approx 300 all resistance, and 30K hp to be effective at all - and you'd already be sacrifising stats through the 4 set pieces you're using, so the rest of your gear has to be THAT much beetter.

My point here is - Demon hunters were NOT designed with tanking in mind. Their skill sets makes this painfully obvious - there is no other class that has even close to the same amount of stuns, snares, and speed boosting abilities as a Demon Hunter does. Likewise, no classes have as few defensive boost abilities or passives as a demon hunter does.

I'm not saying that a Tank DH is not a viable choise, or possible to make - it obviously is. I'm saying that for it to compete with a Wizard, or, god forbid, one of the two melee classes that are designed to take hits, it'll require far more effort, and you won't be even close to as effective as they are because you simply do not have the same tools that they are given. A monk has a passive 30% dmg reduction, and a passive skill that makes everything they hit do 25% less damage (which is EVERYTHING around them with sweeping winds) - which means that with one passive skill, they have a natural 55% dmg reduction, or 10% less than a DH does with Gloom up. If you want a tank, go for an actual tank. If you want a ranged tank, go for a wizard that's designed to do that. There's a reason stacking Int gives you all resistance, and stacking dex gives you dodge.
    Thanks for all posts, but I don't quite need help with setting out my skills and passives, I can handle that myself. The tryhard guide is also helpful, but what I wanted to see are specific prices for gear, for example my gear is (i only show my main stats):

helm 90 dex, 30 all res, 40 vit - cost around 30-50k, 80k max
    neck 80 dex, 30 all res, 50 vit - cost around 50-80k
    boots 120 dex, 40 all res, 12% mov speed - around 100k
    bracers 100dex, 30 all res, 25 vit - cost around 50k
    chest 120dex, 40 all res, 50 vit - cost 100k max
    gloves 170dex, 40 all res, 40 vit - cost around 80-100k
    pants 110 dex, 30 all res, 50 vit - cost 40-80k
    2x rings 50 dex, 15 all res, 40 vit (stats for each ring) cost around 100-200k for both
    shoulders 90dex, 30 all res, 40 vit cost 50 - 100k
    belt 80 dex, 30 all res, 50 vit - cost 20-50k
    quiver 110dex, 50 vit , 5% chc(critical hit chance)100- 150k
    2h Crossbow around 1100DPS, 100 dex - around 500k- 1kk

This set is quite enough for act 1 and 2 but what I need is something to finish the game with, what would be cool to see from u guys is to write down some good sets in similar format I just did. But not like gear for 100kk but, something for, lets say 30-40kk MAX, this is gold I can manage to get. So thank you for your answers, and please keep up with posting.

Ps. sorry for bad english, its not mine native laungage
    I just typed out a wall of text and my firefox shut down. Bah

I guess I should have used the term "survivability" more in my first two posts, which I believe is vastly different than the term "tanking"; or, spam grenade with 30k dps and 800 AR.

So now I have a TL;DR version
    • I never supported the pure tanking set up.
    • You didn't factor in the 0.5 sec vulnerable period between 2 smoke screen casts with 2secs CD. You need to be either dodging the incoming projectile from range mobs or constantly vault away from melee range. On the other hand shadow power has no CD.
    • You didn't consider the disc gain from Night Stalker in your shadow power math.
    • Nat set is not necessary for shadow power to become viable, and you will be able to find much cheaper regular chest, leg, head and ring with moderate AR.
    • I would LOVE to be able to running around with +70% movement speed and one shot everything, but that's just way too optimal for most people.
    Quote from its_lulz_time

Thanks for all posts, but I don't quite need help with setting out my skills and passives, I can handle that myself. The tryhard guide is also helpful, but what I wanted to see are specific prices for gear, for example my gear is (i only show my main stats):

helm 90 dex, 30 all res, 40 vit - cost around 30-50k, 80k max
    neck 80 dex, 30 all res, 50 vit - cost around 50-80k
    boots 120 dex, 40 all res, 12% mov speed - around 100k
    bracers 100dex, 30 all res, 25 vit - cost around 50k
    chest 120dex, 40 all res, 50 vit - cost 100k max
    gloves 170dex, 40 all res, 40 vit - cost around 80-100k
    pants 110 dex, 30 all res, 50 vit - cost 40-80k
    2x rings 50 dex, 15 all res, 40 vit (stats for each ring) cost around 100-200k for both
    shoulders 90dex, 30 all res, 40 vit cost 50 - 100k
    belt 80 dex, 30 all res, 50 vit - cost 20-50k
    quiver 110dex, 50 vit , 5% chc(critical hit chance)100- 150k
    2h Crossbow around 1100DPS, 100 dex - around 500k- 1kk

This set is quite enough for act 1 and 2 but what I need is something to finish the game with, what would be cool to see from u guys is to write down some good sets in similar format I just did. But not like gear for 100kk but, something for, lets say 30-40kk MAX, this is gold I can manage to get. So thank you for your answers, and please keep up with posting.

Ps. sorry for bad english, its not mine native laungage

The gear you are looking for will be based on your passive, and it's hard for other people to come up with a budget for each gear piece since the gear stats and price in AH have a huge variance.

But just by looking at your current set up, you will be needing damage stats (atk speed, crit chance, crit damage) on your neck, rings, glove, bracer, quiver and weapon. Should you choose SS as your passive, stack atk speed and crit damage; otherwise go for crit chance and crit damage.
    Quote from Ameko

I just typed out a wall of text and my firefoxed shut down. Bah

I guess I should have used the term "survivability" more in my first two posts, which I believe is vastly different than the term "tanking"; or, spam grenade with 30k dps and 800 AR.

So now I have a TL;DR version
    • I never supported the pure tanking set up.
    • You didn't factor in the 0.5 sec vulnerable period between 2 smoke screen casts with 2secs CD. You need to be either dodging the incoming projectile from range mobs or constantly vault away from melee range. On the other hand shadow power has no CD.
    • You didn't consider the disc gain from Night Stalker in your shadow power math.
    • Nat set is not necessary for shadow power to become viable, and you will be able to find much cheaper regular chest, leg, head and ring with moderate AR.
    • I would LOVE to be able to running around with +70% movement speed and one shot everything, but that's just way too optimal for most people.

I did factor in the 0.5 downtime. Thats why I said 4.5 uptime for 6 seconds (1.5+0.5, 1.5+0.5, 1.5+0.5).
    Do you have any math regarding Night stalkers chance to regain disc? I'd be very interested in seeing it. I can't work with something which I don't know.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes