[GUIDE] How to become a sucessful and exceptional barbarian on inferno difficulty

Glad that someone took the time to write a guide.

One viewpoint that deserves more attention is the fact that offense is actually a defense as well. Once you're past the point where you get instantly killed by champs/rares more damage is more survivability.

Battle rage with marauder's rage is a 30% damage buff, so in total about 25% damage increase with full maniac stacks (they're addative, not multiplicative, so a 30% increase on 120% is 25%). Therefore everything takes 25% extra damage and dies 20% quicker (1/1,25 = 0,80). Therefore you take 20% less damage on average as the monsters have less time to attack you. Therefore it's on paper about as effective as threatening shout -- with the exception that you kill monsters quicker, and get more drops per hour.

The same goes for some of the most potent damage enhancing passives (such as weapons masters with swords, which in fact IS multiplicative bonus damage).
    Very nice guide! Big thanks to you! and also to all other posters for their opinions. Really helped me alot!
    Great guide.

What do you think about Overpower - Revel rune.

I did finish act2 with it(rest is the same) and until now I found myself of big need of the extra heal/AoE the skill give.

+ it is less then 15s cd because of some crits.
    Charge with Dreadnaught is far superior to Overpower with Revel. It heals for the same, does more damage, has a shorter CD, generates Fury and provides additional mobility, something that really helps with all those shitty Act 3 ranged mobs.

Glad a couple of people have referenced Ground Stomp with Wretching rune. That skill is really, REALLY useful in group play. While elites are only stunned for 2 seconds and don't get pulled in, its godlike for all those loose normal mobs that tend to run around like retards killing your DH/Wizard at the back. I always use that skill now for group play, swapping it for WotB for solo play.
    I see that a lot of people like to use Charge with Dreadnought rune - I will have to give it a try because obviously it is viable to say the least.

Will add some stuff to the guide later this day.
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Personally I feel like 15% attack speed on both rings, amulet and gloves is must for good amount of dps. But I try not to sacrifice too much other stats, and I feel spending most gold on those pieces especially.

What's your opinion?

Otherwise your skill setup is pretty much same as I'm using, but I will look into Relentless now for sure. And my last skill changes a lot, but I will give Seismic Slam another try.

(I'm at Inferno Act 2 Belial)

+1
    Really nice guide, but I think +1,2k res for act IV is a bit too much. I've already cleared whole act 4 (except some really annoying champion packs) with about 800-900 resistances and I had no problems with dying.
    Wow awesome guide! Will definetely return to it, when I get the chance to level my barb :)

In the meantime please do a similar guide for Demon Hunter ;P
    What guide do you need for a DH...?

Stack Dex/Att Speed, faceroll through game, profit.
    Have yet to even touch this content due to time restraints, but I'm looking forward to testing out some of these things! Warguyver, are you sword and boarding it still? I'd imagine that your gear is allowing you to use pure dos weaps, but I'd still like to know.

Also refreshing to see that difference of opinions can be directed into a constructive discussion. I'm blown away that this hasn't turned into a flame war of "I'm better, now stfu!"

Thanks for the refreshing discussion compared to the wow forums :)

Cheers guys!
    Quote from devlolz666

I see that a lot of people like to use Charge with Dreadnought rune - I will have to give it a try because obviously it is viable to say the least.

Will add some stuff to the guide later this day.

Honestly, I only used it very little until last night, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I replaced my Ground Stomp with it and I didn't really miss it, the duration is lowered so much on elites that I found charge more useful. GS+WS is still great for white mobs, but that's not what this is all about.
    Just killed Azmodan seconds ago... was hell of a fight that required some kiting around with leap but in the end I buried my axe in his skull. Time to progress through Act IV now I guess... Diablo awaits me on infero.

The stats I had while killing him: ~60k hp, 9.4k armor, 600-700 resists, 14k damage, 15% block chance.

Also, I tested Furious Charge ability with Dreadnought rune on Maiden of Lust encounter - and I just do not know how I managed to miss that skill. It is so freakin awesome, definitely viable and maybe even worth taking instead of something else I currently use! 8% of your health for each target you hit is INSANE (and it is even better if you stack vitality). It should be like 1%, not 8 lol. Nerf inc imo.
    HARDCORE T4 rift farm with a crusader, top 1 STR in the world, 6 Akkhan pieces! :o
    Quote from Crisp

Have yet to even touch this content due to time restraints, but I'm looking forward to testing out some of these things! Warguyver, are you sword and boarding it still? I'd imagine that your gear is allowing you to use pure dos weaps, but I'd still like to know.

Also refreshing to see that difference of opinions can be directed into a constructive discussion. I'm blown away that this hasn't turned into a flame war of "I'm better, now stfu!"

Thanks for the refreshing discussion compared to the wow forums :)

Cheers guys!

Yes, I'm still sword and board. It's funny because I'm at 1192 physical, 1009 all resist with 10kish armor, and it's just a lot faster and safer to run with a shield. I wouldn't touch 2handers with a 10 foot pole at the moment, but I have been experimenting with dual wield ~1kish 1handers with 800+ life on hit. I'll let you guys know how that turns out.
    Added few things here and there on top of updating pretty much the whole thing, enjoy. More contents coming soon.
    Thanks a lot for the work on this guide. I was about to give up when I found this. Really turned the tide for me!
    Great guide. I just had my first taste of Inferno last night, and was able to clear all of Act 1 with a monk friend. I'm curious though, why does no one seem to consider Brawler as a passive? I saw many posts talking about using Weapons Master or Berserker Rage for 15 and 25% damage, but it seems to me that Brawler would give you a 30% damage boost just about all the time.
    I will test Rend in place of Furious Charge, and if i will spend fury will i try Relentless in place of Berserker Rage... for sure i will go done a lot less damage, but maybe i will survive more time with a skill i can use all time to regen life.

Until now i play with full fury, using only revenge and Furious to AEO and more life.
    Right now I am running w/ 50% block 950 phys resists and 800ish every other resist, 2 DPS passives 45k hp 25k dps (in town) and 1100 LoH. I have full cleared inferno solo on my barbarian and although this guide is filled with alot of great infortmation I disagree with some of the recommendations made here.

First of all I think leap is CORE for just about every build. Leap is a 4 second ignore pain on a 10 second cooldown that adds mobility and escape mechanisms to the class. Combine leap with charge (juggernauted) and you have an amazing amount of survivability and mobility. The only reason I could see to use ignore pain over leap is when you are trying to zerg something down because leap has a cast time and slightly less short term up time.

The second thing I disagree with is picking up 3 defensive passives, or even 2 in most situations. The passives are great for surviving but unless you can tank the champs/rares for a long period of time with LoH you are better off picking up offensive damage so you can pick off a few minions or an elite right off the bat creating a domino effect which makes the rest of the fight trivial. There are also a large number of packs which barbs simply cannot kill without damage, things like vortex firechains, with this extra damage you can pick off 1-2 of the elites before your wrath of the berseker wears off.

I would also like to add I do not use any rage consuming abilities at all, infact I find them less useful than the other abilities on almost all situations I instead run with leap/charge/warcry and wrath of the berseker and having my rage constantly capped is a 25% boost ontop of my 20% damage glyphed frenzy I very often see 85k+ revenge crits.

I also disagree with the idea that 2h barbs are not viable right now. They are extremely viable and they kill elite packs 2x as fast as I do. Their problem boils down to the fact they can't pick up revenge while maintaining their ability to zerg elites which means that white mobs take forever to kill. For this reason I think sword board is better for the moment, but for the moment only. I have a friend who 2h plows through a3 siegebreaker 5 stack runs, skips all white mobs and ends up doing 15-20min runs. Elite packs for him last about the same time as wrath takes to expire.
    Quote from SaracenS

Right now I am running w/ 50% block 950 phys resists and 800ish every other resist, 2 DPS passives 45k hp 25k dps (in town) and 1100 LoH. I have full cleared inferno solo on my barbarian and although this guide is filled with alot of great infortmation I disagree with some of the recommendations made here.

First of all I think leap is CORE for just about every build. Leap is a 4 second ignore pain on a 10 second cooldown that adds mobility and escape mechanisms to the class. Combine leap with charge (juggernauted) and you have an amazing amount of survivability and mobility. The only reason I could see to use ignore pain over leap is when you are trying to zerg something down because leap has a cast time and slightly less short term up time.

The second thing I disagree with is picking up 3 defensive passives, or even 2 in most situations. The passives are great for surviving but unless you can tank the champs/rares for a long period of time with LoH you are better off picking up offensive damage so you can pick off a few minions or an elite right off the bat creating a domino effect which makes the rest of the fight trivial. There are also a large number of packs which barbs simply cannot kill without damage, things like vortex firechains, with this extra damage you can pick off 1-2 of the elites before your wrath of the berseker wears off.

I would also like to add I do not use any rage consuming abilities at all, infact I find them less useful than the other abilities on almost all situations I instead run with leap/charge/warcry and wrath of the berseker and having my rage constantly capped is a 25% boost ontop of my 20% damage glyphed frenzy I very often see 85k+ revenge crits.

I also disagree with the idea that 2h barbs are not viable right now. They are extremely viable and they kill elite packs 2x as fast as I do. Their problem boils down to the fact they can't pick up revenge while maintaining their ability to zerg elites which means that white mobs take forever to kill. For this reason I think sword board is better for the moment, but for the moment only. I have a friend who 2h plows through a3 siegebreaker 5 stack runs, skips all white mobs and ends up doing 15-20min runs. Elite packs for him last about the same time as wrath takes to expire.

Interesting points. Which passives did you pick up?

Additionally, I can't find myself justifying WotB. If you're going to run WotB and zerg down elite packs piece by piece, then why not go all in with Earthquake + Ignore Pain? Leap + Furious Charge + Threatening shout is a semi kite spec that revolves around grinding down elite packs slowly but safely.

I can see the advantages/disadvantages of both approaches, but a Leap + Furious Charge + WotB build confuses me greatly.
    Quote from Warguyver

Quote from SaracenS

Interesting points. Which passives did you pick up?

Weapon master, berserker rage and tough as nails (since my vit is low and my +% life is high this gives me 500 more armour). If I had anything but a sword though, or possibly a spear with extremely high Loh I would seriously consider dropping weapons master for another passive.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes