Just returned, need some advice

I just got back to the game since June last year. Previously did inferno on a DH and WD back in release and never remained active. So I'm back playing a barb and really enjoying it, however I need some advice on where to begin once I hit inferno and after. Got 2m to spend and need to invest wisely.

Is 2h viable for inferno, or 1h shield?

Also where do I progress after inferno, do I farm that for gear or move up to this (is it called mp?) Also what builds are viable at inferno, I'm obviously due to test skills as I level but a head start would be valuable and time efficient.

Sorry for the noob questions, it's been a year! Also if there are any threads that I obviously missed point me there instead and close this.
    So much has changed since you left. Got no idea where to start :P

After reaching lvl 60, you'll start gaining Paragon levels. They add 3% MF/GF and extra stats/lvl. Essentially you want a high paragon level because the higher MF wields more Legendaries and (good) Rares. After you reach/clear Inferno (pretty easy nowadays with the baseline gear from the AH), you can also move up in Monster Powers (with MP 10 being quite brutal on your EHP). These essentially give you a big bonus to EXP/MF/GF and a chance at an "extra" item. Practically speaking, higher Monster Powers + high MF = more legendaries, more chances at winning the lottery with a GFG item.

2-handed is viable nowadays, specially with some reasonable Crit Chance and a Skorn (it has very good base dmg and can get you massive Crit Dmg). With a Barb in particular you can opt to not have a Lifesteal Skorn, because you can get Lifesteal from your Mighty Belt (Immortal King's Tribal Bindings) and the passive Bloodthisrty. You can opt for a very high STR or VIT roll on your Skorn instead.

No matter what build/class you use, the more popular ones will always involve some sort of "infinite resource" trait to it.

The Barbarian most popular build is the WW build. It's essentially using Sprint (with Run like the Wind) in combination with Battle Cry (Into the Fray) for infinite fury regeneration - you probably want to dual wield 1-handers for this one, since the increased attackspeed has better sinergy with Sprint. Some have been using a HotA(Smash) + Rend with 2-handers (or dual wielding too, your call). You can either use cooldown-based Fury Generators or Battle Cry (Into the Fray) - with the latter being infinitely superior if you have a decent Crit Chance (and not use a basic-attack Fury generator).

You can definitely use subpar skills like Seismic Slam, Furious Charge or Weapon Throw (as a ranged Barbarian), and subpar item setups (Schaeffer's Hammer, Sword and Shield).

I've personally done MP 4-6 with these hipster and weaker builds (and with average gear) on all classes. They are more powerful than people give them credit for, they're just not "optimal" (yay for dumb competition in a single-player/coop based game), and infinitely cheaper to gear up too (got an immortal King's Boulder Breaker with 1600 DPS, 170%~ Crit Dmg and 7% more crit chance on Seismic Slam for 150k gold once).

It's just that you can't match the all-in-one characteristic (mobility, infinite resources, AoE and single target dps) of the more popular (op?) builds. The problem being Battle Cry's Into the Fray rune.

Other classes:
    Wizards have two popular builds. Critical Mass + Wicked Wind ones focus on being slightly tankier, and perma-disabling their enemies at close ranges, while using either high-resource skills (Meteor) or cooldown based ones (Explosive Blast) to deal the bulk of their damage. Archon builds focus on increasing damage as much as possible and one-shotting trash mobs so that when they reach elites, the duration of that form can last enough to kill the elites. Monks have a slightly better build variety, with the consensus being that they definitely need attackspeed to function properly. Some of the more popular (and OP) skills are: Thunderclap, Overawe, Cyclone (the SW rune), Cyclone Strike (specially in groups), Serenity, Breath of Heaven (http://www.diablopro....com/top_skills). But they definitely have quite some room for variety. DHs have some trouble currently in the sense that they don't have a proper "infinite resource" OP build (like Wizs and Barbs), and their best skills use up quite some Hatred. That means that are quite a few viable skills (Rapid Fire being quite strong with the latest buffs). Same goes for WDs, but these make up for it with lots of mana-regen from items (way more than DHs can get) and insanely high %weapon-dmg skills (Bears and CoD dealing up to 600% weapon dmg/sec) and utility.
    Thanks for the time on that post Zero(pS) i'll definitely be coming back to this when i'm 60.

I'm currently running http://us.battle.net...YSUk!bcV!ZaZZZa to level at the moment as I like all the skills involved, especially rend.

On a side note, Skorn looks appealing. i guess just go for as much DPS on it as you can afford and get LS on a Belt?
    No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.

Quote from giga

On a side note, Skorn looks appealing. i guess just go for as much DPS on it as you can afford and get LS on a Belt?

Sounds great. Skorn is amazing because of the potential to get 300% crit damage from it alone. Other 2-handed weapons (like IK's Boulder Breaker or The Grandfather) can't.

But those are viable in their own manner. IK's Boulder Breaker can roll up to 200 more DPS than a Skorn (and buffs one of your skills), and The Grandfather can rolll 100 more DPS (and gives an insane amount of HP/EHP). So if you get some Crit Dmg (remember you need a decent Crit Chance, 30-40%+) on those, they can be very powerful too.
    Quote from giga

The best way to farm Legendary atm is based on a build where you use a Skorn and an IK belt (for LS), so that would be a pretty good choice.

Quote from Zero(pS)

But those are viable in their own manner. IK's Boulder Breaker can roll up to 200 more DPS than a Skorn (and buffs one of your skills), and The Grandfather can rolll 100 more DPS (and gives an insane amount of HP/EHP). So if you get some Crit Dmg (remember you need a decent Crit Chance, 30-40%+) on those, they can be very powerful too.

The problem with those items for example the IK Weapon is, that it always comes with an IAS roll, so even if the DPS is much higher the AVG Dmg (which is the important stat for the DMG of your skills) is the same as a Skorns, but a Skorn always comes wtih a Socket and CritDMG plus it can have a double Str roll, the IK Weapon can only have 1 of these 3 rolls. So the high DPS on those weapons is a little bit misleading.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes