"Click to retry creating D3D device." error

• I am experiencing a " [Graphics Error] Click to retry creating D3D device." error when I click the Play button in the launcher. I have tried multiple "solutions" that were provided on this forum, but none of them seemed to fix my problem. There are loads of people who can't connect, but I can't even start Diablo. I'm sure my system is able to run it, but there might be a problem with my drivers. I have updated my GPU drivers and DirectX though. I hope someone can help me find a way to play Diablo! Thanks in advance!!

Edit: Please tell me if you require more information about my system or something else
  • Sinkeh,

Can you post some information about your computer? You can find this information in the Direct X Diagnostic Tool:

Click on Start
    Click on Run
    Type in: dxdiag (In Vista, type dxdiag in the search field)
    Hit Enter or OK

Click on the Save All Information button at the bottom, and create a dxdiag text file, and copy and paste it ALL here.

Could you also post your D3Prefs.txt file? It's located in the My Documents\Diablo III folder.

What kind of display device is this?

Algemeen niet-PnP-beeldscherm

I have no idea what that is.

Also, you have very odd values in the D3Prefs file, you should try deleting it altogether and let the game use the default settings when it starts again.

DisplayModeWidth "800"
    DisplayModeHeight "600"
    DisplayModeRefreshRate "240"

Adapters are known for causing issues sometimes if they don't allow the handshaking done at boot time when the video card checks to see what the display's capabilities are. I recommend not using one if at all possible.

Or try a different adapter. I'm not saying you need to buy a new monitor at all. Yours will probably work fine. You can even buy a DVI-VGA cable that should allow proper handshaking. They're pretty inexpensive if you look around.

I've no idea. Dxdiag should be picking up and displaying the monitor information if it's working correctly.

Monitor Name: Algemeen niet-PnP-beeldscherm
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id:
    Native Mode: unknown

What model Dell display do you have?

Sinkeh,

That's the best that display can do. Edit your D3prefs.txt file to have these lines:

DisplayModeWidth "1280"
    DisplayModeHeight "1024"
    DisplayModeRefreshRate "75" or 60 if you prefer

Set your desktop resolution to the same

Try using the latest AMD video drivers to see if they help or not first.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

I'd also recommend changing the Windows Power profile to High Performance instead of Balanced. This will help performance quite a bit when gaming.

If you still have the problem after installing the latest drivers, create a new thread instead of using this one, last accessed in Oct 2012. In it, post a fresh dxdiag along with your D3Prefs.txt file which is located in your My Documents\Diablo III folder.