White Screen Crash?

• Every time i go to join or create a game i always get a white screen. It usually crashes or it will take a good 5 mins. before it will finally put me in the game. Any suggestions?
  • GodWings1,

Please post your DXDIAG file so we can get more information about your computer.

Here's a support article that will show you how to get the DXDIAG:

Obtaining System Files

Once you have the DXDIAG file, open it and copy/paste the entire file into your next reply.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

Let's try a different video driver to see if that helps. Uninstall the current driver by using a program called Driver Fusion. This program will ensure that all previous driver files are completely removed.

Here's a link to the Driver Fusion download.

Once there, click on the "Download From Treexy" button to download the free trial.

***Don't download the Premium version.***

1. Run Driver Fusion.
    2. Click on "Display" and select "Nvidia".
    3. Click on "Delete".
    4. You will be asked if you are sure if you want to delete the entries, click on "Yes".
    5. Driver Fusion will do it's job, but you may see a message saying that some entries could not be deleted, and it will then ask if you would like to take a look at premium benefits, click on "No".
    6. Restart when asked do so.
    7. Repeat the same steps for "PhysX" instead of "Display".

Once those two are completely removed, go ahead and install the suggested driver.

Here's a link for the new driver download: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73218/en-us

When you are going to install the driver I would like for you to select Custom Install > Graphic Driver only.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

Are you running the game in Windowed mode, Windowed Full Screen mode, or Full screen mode? Do you still get the white screens if you use a different mode from the one you normally use?

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

1. Another program may be interfering. Try running a selective startup to get around this. Please be aware that running while in this mode can potentially disable any security programs you may have running.

Here's a support article with steps on how run the selective startup: Closing Background Applications

2. If that doesn't help, try running the game in Windowed mode and let me know what happens.

3. Also, please post the contents of the D3Debug.txt file located in your Diablo III folder.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

Try this, go into the Game menu > click on Options > check the Vsync option so that it's enabled > uncheck the Max foreground and Max background options > click accept.

Then test out the game and let me know what happens.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

Let's download FurMark GPU Stress Test. This is a tool that is specifically designed to stress the video card to it's max capacity to see if there may be a problem with the video card itself.

Here's the link where FurMark can be downloaded: http://www.geeks3d.com/20120416/furmark-1-10-0-download-gpu-stress-test-burn-in-opengl-benchmark-nvidia-geforce-gtx680-amd-radeon/

Once downloaded you will want to run FurMark and then click on the "BURN-IN Test" button. Be sure to read the caution pop-up.

Let the test run for about 10 minutes or until you notice any odd video issues. Keep an eye on the temperature to note how high it gets.

***Do not leave the system unattended while running this test.***

Let me know what happens.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

92 degrees is a little on the high end. I have a similar video card here at work and the highest I get is around 70-71 degrees when in-game. If you know how, you should make sure that the fan on the video card is working properly. You should also try blowing out the fan and heatsink with a can of compressed air to get any built up dust out of there. That should help bring the temperatures back down to normal.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

i can re clean and check my fans again I cleaned it not to long ago but i could do it again.

It's not just the fans though, you also want to make sure that the heatsink doesn't have a lot of dust built up in it.

Would possibly a new video card help with my problem?

Possibly, but we can't say for sure since we still haven't really narrowed down the cause of the issue. Right now it looks like it might be heat related, but we won't know until we can get the heat down.

One thing you could try though, maybe a friend or family member has a video card they can loan you that they know for sure doesn't have this issue. You can then test it in your system to see what happens. If the white screens go away, then you'll know it's related to the video card.

Got some feedback?
  • GodWings1,

Cool, have you checked if the temps are lower now that the heatsink has been cleaned?

Got some feedback?