Where Blizzard Went Wrong

• So I've gone through Hell with 4 of my buddies (each playing a different class) and here's my take on where Blizz went wrong.

1) Melee Classes: Quite simply Blizzard failed to acknowledge the massive damage gap between classes that can avoid damage entirely (range) and classes that are forced to take damage (melee). Unfortunately, they are just another member of a long list of companies that failed to achieve this balance.
    Simple Solution: Almost all melee activated abilities should have a passive defensive included in the core ability. That is, while the wizard is forced to use an entire skill slot for Diamond Skin, the Barbarian (for example) should have diamond skin built into one of its abilities say... Revenge.

2) Elites/Champions: The biggest problem here is not how hard they hit, but the fact that Blizz did not institute a way to avoid the damage like they did with the Act bosses. For example. Why can the "Jailer" automatically encase everyone without missing but Diablo seems to suffer from Down's syndrome when trying to trap people?
    Simple Solution: Elites/Champions that are using abilities should have a visual cast-timer (whether it be dark spots on the ground like Diablo’s Cage, or hopping three times before casting) to help players avoid their core abilities.

3) Act Bosses: Seriously, the act bosses should not be easier than the elites/champions. The fact that this is currently the case is inexcusable.
    Simple Solution: Act bosses should also gain a randomly generated Elite/Champion ability as well. At which point, they would be "just as hard" as the Elite/Champion packs and should drop loot commensurate with this difficulty change.

None of these suggestions are directed at making the game “more forgiving.” (I agree that failing a mechanic should cost you your life, but as of now there are no “mechanics” to fail you just die). It’s designed to make the game more fun.

Here's hoping to a game that's more fun.
  • Simple Solution: Almost all melee activated abilities should have a passive defensive included in the core ability. That is, while the wizard is forced to use an entire skill slot for Diamond Skin, the Barbarian (for example) should have diamond skin built into one of its abilities say... Revenge.

Monk and barbarian take 30% less damage base, than demon hunter, witch doctor or wizard. The melee classes also have passives and abilities which provide significant defensive bonuses.

2) Elites/Champions: The biggest problem here is not how hard they hit, but the fact that Blizz did not institute a way to avoid the damage like they did with the Act bosses. For example. Why can the "Jailer" automatically encase everyone without missing but Diablo seems to suffer from Down's syndrome when trying to trap people?

Because those fights are where you'll generally score the best loot, they are also intended to be some of the most challenging experiences in the game.

We didn't want 'boss farming' to become the goal of Diablo III the way it was in DII. We like that getting the best items is more of a treasure hunt, where finding and slaying those champion packs is what drives players to adventure through the levels. It's also a good thing that those are thrilling and difficult fights once you find them. Sometimes they're brutal, but this is Diablo III on a difficulty titled 'Hell'. Sometimes brutal is okay.

3) Act Bosses: Seriously, the act bosses should not be easier than the elites/champions. The fact that this is currently the case is inexcusable.

Answered above.
  • 05/21/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Pwnfessor
    You do realize he just explained WHY they want you farming elites. A boss is a guaranteed spot everytime. Elite packs are everywhere, Caves, in the open, in dungeons, etc. This is their solution to getting you to participate in more content.

This is the heart of the design decision, yes. It's more engaging to get into a level, explore the randomly spawned caves, and go poking around in the nooks and crannies.

If you've ever done boss speed runs in DII for hours on end, then you might get a glimpse of why this was preferable.

This design choice goes hand-in-hand with D3's loot system, where like we're seeing random champions become more powerful than main bosses we're seeing Rares and Magics outshine Legendaries

The stats and affixes on all items are randomly generated, which means that some items will have more ideal stats than others. That said, an ideal rare is always going to be better than an ideal item of lower quality at the same item level. I think that players are seeing magic items that have higher ideal stats than a random rare (or a rare of lower level), but having more affix slots means that those rares have higher potential.

A good example: you might have a normal item with a couple of very high base attribute affixes, which is great. An ideal rare might have those same high base attributes, but also have magic find, plus crit, chance to blind, +% damage to a class ability, etc.
  • 05/21/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Jesseria
    I've found the challenge modes to be a blast, and getting pwn'd by an elite pack means that you don't know how to fight it yet. I had to change my build, using skills I never thought were useful to figure some of them out. Now, I'm running with a build most people would insult me for, but I haven't died once since changing to it. However, I'm sure Blizzard will throw something at me to make me change my build again . . . damn you Blizzard!