Update: Summary is up, with the Q&A part of it. VOD also up!
Legendary Workshop Stream
The Legendary Workshop stream will begin in about 5 minutes at the official Diablo channel on Twitch! We will be following and putting together a summary of all that is discussed.
Ring Elemental Rotation
Band of Untold Secrets Removal
- Will it rotate between elements that are available for the class that's using it
- Current unsolved problem: how long should the elemental rotation be?
- Ideally low (5-10 second range) because of the interaction between resource generators and spenders
- Elemental rotation probably fixed (not random) to allow planning
Helltooth set Fix?
- Was morphed into the item that makes Ice Armor better
- There was two ways of doing it: putting another item or replacing a bad one with one that has a cool power
Buffing weak Sets a high priority?
- Barbarian, DH and Wizard are getting new sets on Patch 2.2
- So John Yang wants to start working on Witch Doctor asap
Rarest Legendaries new Drop Ratio
- A priority for classes that don't have a viable build
- Put more work on classes that have only 1 viable build. Put more work into that Set/Build.
- Buffing weak sets not their number one priority
Plans to Bring Wrath of the Berserker? 2nd Life Passive for Barbarians?
- Rarest Legendaries are roughly 2.5x more common.
- Because new items added to the pool, chances of getting specific items decrease
Do devs look at Leaderboards?
- Try not to use the same ideas on every class (aka 2 minute cooldown skill be the main set focus)
- The Barbarian fantasy is not to use "magic" to cheat death, he's a big strong guy.
Buff Pets in Higher Greater Rifts
- Leaderboards is less a reflection of overall class happiness than most players think
- It's an accessory to analyse end-game balance, but not the primary one
Ramaladni's version for Jewelry
- They don't think the pets are in a bad place right now
- Monster damage has been reduced and some bugs were fixed
- Will be buffed as necessary
- It's power creep on jewelry, so not currently
- Felt really bad not having a slot for your weapon
- Alternate way of getting a socket on a player's weapon
New Sets will be on the PTR?
- Not designed for 99% of the playerbase
- End-game luxury: giving something for streamers and hardcore players to hunt
Legendary Effect that promote rotating different Spenders? (similar to the Ring)
- They will be on a Patch 2.2 PTR in the future, not the 2.1.2 PTR
Affixes to Daggers? (since they have none)
- Will be discussed
D2's Quest to Name your Weapon
- Not necessarily; nothing has come up
- Circular problem: low damage on Daggers paired with no interesting affixes - requiring fixes on two systems
Allowing Players to target specific items?
- Worth looking at and seeing where it fits
Passive Buffs for the Wizard being worked on to be similar to DH's Companion and Monk's Mystic Ally.
- Currently not, they are happy with the amount of control Kadala gives
Balancing gems for Weapons
- They could balance them to be mathematically balanced, by say buffing Diamond's on weapons by 10 times
- At the end of the day it's just "more damage", there's no gameplay in it
- They would rather design weapon specific Gems, for instance
Roadblocks to overcome when doing the Panel
- The Legendary Workshop panel at Blizzcon was the first of a kind
- Most panels at Blizzcon are these "one way" means of pushing information
- Developers wanted to bring the audience into the item development process
- The internal brainstorming sessions are fun for the devs and they wanted to open that up for the public
- When designing things, the developers don't just "vote" for a good idea, they discuss them and try to reach a consensus
Rejected ideas and why they didn't work
- done in 45 minutes
- going to be televised
- engaging for the audience
Energy Twister ideas
- Ideas that promote just big numbers - "criticals increase critical damage"
- Players are just killing things a little bit faster instead of interacting differently
- Suggestions that change a skill or mechanic intended use - Offensive Potions for instance.
- Example: chance on hit to ressurect enemies, it creates confusion since players can't tell which enemy skills are friendly and which are dangerous.
Mirror Image ideas
- Ransor's Folly mechanic - pulls enemies that are closest to the player within its area of effect
- Improved over giving it knockback when cast - pulling enemies retains that soft crowd control
Wizard Source (Legendary Workshop) suggestion
- Cast all of your skills instead of only equipped ones
- Problems: performance budget and confusion - each image is already an "independent Wizard"
- Ball Lightning build had to be fixed because it broke the game's performance
Legendary Workshop experience
- Rotates elements allowing for multiple element focus
- Could be a Ring instead, so that other classes could use it
- Would work as a balance factor as well - Rings have a lot of power
- Only coming after Patch 2.1.2
- They are pretty much done with Patch 2.1.2 (John Yang)
- It worked well, but there's room for improvement
- They would like to try it in other types of events, where people can see the whole process