There's been a couple threads lately talking about possible new expansion classes, and I've seen more interest in the Druid as one of them then I thought I would. So I figured I'd finally post what I've had written down for awhile now about my take on the Druid class.
I have numbers but I think I'll forgo those just because they'd probably vastly change anyway upon testing. Instead I'll list what skills / passives I've come up with so far, and how I envision they will act. Thanks to Elendiro for the idea of class specific shoulders + resource name =)
Thanks to Ulydssian for the idea of the shapeshift runes changing the color / fur of the animal!
Role: Melee + Long range caster
Main Spell Schools: Lightning / Cold / Fire / Physical
Resource: Natural Energy (green in color). Only regenerating attacks regenerate this resource, it does not deplete over time and no target is required to benefit from regenerating attacks. A large pool (think 125-150 or so) with large regenerating attacks (such as 10-15) and big spenders (such as 20-25).
Main stat: Strength
Class specific armor: Animal pelt / feather shoulders. (Thanks again to Elendiro).
Class specific weapon(s): The Glaive, and the Two Handed Glaive.
Thunder strike. Lightning damage, long range, small aoe around target. Instant cast. The bolt comes down where targeted.
1. Calls 3 lightning damage stars to hit random targets, and also does AOE damage off of each target hit.
2. Add's a 25% chance to stun for 2 seconds.
3. Instead of an AOE upon hit, 6 lightning spears shoot out at a farther distance, piercing.
4. Damage increased, AOE removed.
5. Leaves behind a lightning field that does 45% weapon damage over 2 seconds to anything inside.
Ice Spike. Cold damage, long range, single target. Has a chance to pierce. It's a fast moving projectile that slows targets.
1. Killing a target with Ice Spike creates an explosion of ice that does %WD to enemies behind the target.
2. Grants Ice Spike a 15% chance to freeze any target it hits.
3. Turns Ice Spike into an Ice Trap, that arms after 2 seconds, dealing massive damage.
4. Ice Spike leaves behind a frozen trail, slowing enemies.
5. Ice Spike creates an Ice Wall that blocks enemies.
Lava Surge. A medium range channeled spell that does fire damage. Similar to disintegrate it pierces, but it has a wider swath as it attacks.
1. If channeled for at least 3 seconds, burns the armor on targets making them take 15% addition damage.
2. pools of lava burst from the ground underneath the beam for 3 seconds dealing damage. The Druid can run faster on top of these pools.
3. Turns Lava Surge into a shield that lasts for 120 seconds and does constant fire AOE.
4. Removes the pierce and instead adds a % of damage aoe off of target
5. Creates a volcano at the target location that will hit enemies with fiery brimstone (lol) for 15 seconds.
Wind Blast. Instant projectile, long range and does physical damage. Has a built in chance to knock back.
1. Replaces the attack with a wall of wind that surrounds the druid, slowing projectiles for 10 seconds.
2. Reduces targets attack speed by 20%.
3. Adds a chance for Wind Blast to pierce.
4. Each cast increases attack speed by 3% for 5s, stacks up to 3 times. (the IAS affects every skill)
5. Split Wind Blast into 3 projectiles, shooting off in a cone shape.
Elemental fury. A 2 minute cool down. Randomly picks one of three attacks when used. 1) Armageddon - Rain fire on all enemies. 2) Hurricane - Ravage all enemies caught, while slowing them. 3) Temporal Thunder - Strike random enemies with lightning, adds a chance to displace and stun enemies. Lasts 15 seconds.
1. Decrease the Cool Down to 80 seconds.
2. Enemies killed with Elemental Fury explode for %WD.
3. If Armageddon is chosen, it spawns 3 fiery golems to fight for the Druid for 2 minutes.
4. If Hurricane is chosen, receive a damaging AOE buff for 2 minutes. (D2 hurricane)
5. If Temporal Thunder is chosen, receive a displacement shield for 2 minutes.
Puncture. Does instant damage, plus adds a heavy Bleed on the target. Increases target damage taken by 12% from all sources.
1. Cuts the bleed damage in half, but increases the damage taken by the target to 15%.
2. Receive 9% of the damage done as life.
3. Infect the wound to create a slowing AOE off the target, reducing enemy movement by 20%.
4. Affects all targets directly in front of the Druid.
5. Removes the instant damage and the increased damage debuff, but triples the bleed damage.
Pound. Medium range AOE around the player. 5 second cool down. Has a chance to stun for 1 second.
1. Removes the cool down, and the chance to stun.
2. Increases damage, turns the damage into fire.
3. Gain 5 Natural Energy and 5% life per target hit.
4. Increase the Druids armor by 25% for 3 seconds after use.
5. Freely cast Pound anywhere targeted.
Rabies. A callback from the D2 druid, it's a fast spreading Poison damage Dot. Internal chance to make enemies randomly attack the player or other enemies.
1. Change the chance to confuse enemies to a chance to fear enemies.
2. Increases Rabies damage, reduces the amount of targets able to be effects from all to 5.
3. Slow all enemies effected.
4. Life on Hit and Life Steal return double their normal amount when used on enemies with Rabies. (Druid only)
5. Enemies with Rabies leave behind poison clouds dealing damage over the course of the DoT.
Gnash. Single target physical attack with high damage. Adds a short range charge when used.
1. Increase the range of the charge to long range.
2. Knock back enemies you hit while charging to your target.
3. Replace the charge with a small radius AOE off the target.
4. Using Gnash increases your total damage by 3%. Stacks up to 5 times.
5. Adds a damage effect to the charge itself, and changes the damage type to fire.
Wolf pack. 1 minute cool down. Summons 5 wolfs to fight for the Druid. The wolfs persist until killed. (Imagine them being about = to 3 zombie dogs).
1. Big bad wolf. Summon 1 wolf for 20 seconds that mirrors the Druid's damage, critical hit chance and critical hit damage. Uses a single target physical attack.
2. The Spirit Clan. Summon a magma, a wind and a nature wolf to fight for the Druid. Each wolf has a unique attack in addition to their melee attack. The Magma wolf randomly raises small volcanoes for persistent AOE damage on the ground. The Wind wolf uses gusts of hurricane force winds to slow and damage enemies, and the Nature wolf strikes out with chain lightning.
3. Blood Brothers. Summon two health-linked wolfs that return 9% of the damage done as life to their master.
4. Lurking wolfs. Increases the Wolf Pack's damage and reduced the cool down to 45 seconds.
5. Seeing Red. When attacking a champion or elite pack, if the enemies health drops below 25% the wolfs become immune to all CC and have damage increased for a short duration.
Ancient Ward. A 1 minute cool down that summons an Ancient Ward at the target location for 30 seconds. An ancestral bear spirit is tied to this ward and will fight for the Druid for the duration.
1. The Ancient Ward summons constant ravens to attack everything within reach.
2. Everything inside the Ancient Ward's radius takes an additional 10% damage.
3. Every party member inside the Ancient Ward's radius receives 900 Life per second.
4. The Ancient ward now lasts for a full minute and is carried with the Druid. Summons an Oak Spirit to accompany the Druid and increase their max life by 10%. This spirit cannot attack, but can be attacked.
5. The ancestral bear spirit now has a high chance to stun when attacking, and will taunt enemies to attack it.
Resource Regenerating Attacks;
Crush. Single target attack that increases it's own damage per stack, up to three stacks.
1. Also increases Crush's attack speed by 5% when used, up to 15%.
2. Adds a chance to knock back the target.
3. Makes affected enemies take X% more physical damage.
4. Creates a shockwave behind the target for X%.
5. Has a chance for an AOE knockback.
Pulse. Lightning damage in cone in front of the Druid.
1. Shoots 6 streaks of lightning randomly.
2. Has a chance to pull in up to 5 enemies.
3. Makes affected enemies take X% more fire damage.
4. A chance to stun enemies that are hit.
5. Create the pulse at long range.
Frost Axe. Attack all enemies in front and on both sides of the Druid for cold damage. (think of an ethereal pair of frozen axes that the druid swings upwards crossing arms, then back downwards ending with both arms as far back as they can go).
1. Gain 3 Natural Energy per enemy hit.
2. Makes affected enemies take X% more lightning damage.
3. Gives a chance for targets to be frozen.
4. Throw the Frost Axe instead.
5. Slam the axe into the ground, erupting frozen energy to do AOE damage over 2 seconds. This effect can stack.
Fire Ball. A projectile that explodes upon hitting the target.
1. Adds a 33% chance to attack with a giant fireball that does double the damage.
2. Turn the fire ball into a ball of lightning. (Not the DH skill >.<)
3. Leave behind a %WD dot on affected enemies.
4. Makes affected enemies take X% more cold damage.
5. Ricochet the Fire Ball up to 3 enemies.
Shape-Shifting; ( every time a shape shift is cast, it randomly chooses one of a couple different skins per form ). All would probably have about a 30 second cool down, except chimera form.
Werewolf Form. A long lasting buff on the player that increases attack and movement speed, and grants +5% strength.
1. Extends the attack speed buff to the whole party.
2. Also creates two wolf cub allies that attack and tank like pets.
3. Upon use, howl and fear every nearby enemy
4. Extends the movement speed buff to the whole party.
5. Gain +25% movement impair reduction.
Lion Form (or bear form). The animal can be debated, but the purpose would be the tanky-type. Increasing dodge / armor / vitality.
1. Increases party members vitality by 10%.
2. Melee attacks have a 15% chance of doing double damage.
3. Reduce all damage taken by 10%.
4. Grants the druid 650 life per second.
5. Adds a 1.5% life steal to all attacks.
Eagle / Raven Form. This would give the Druid the appearance of an Eagle / Raven, while still standing on two legs (think the animals head + wings on the back). It would increase resource regeneration per resource regenerating attack and increase elemental damage.
1. Increases the elemental damage bonus and extends to party members.
2. When reduced to below 20% health, the druid flies up and becomes immune to all damage for 3 seconds. This cannot occur more than once per 90 seconds.
3. Grants three ravens who damage enemies.
4. Reduce physical damage taken by 10%.
5. Attacks have a 10% chance to charm an enemy. Only one enemy may be charmed at a time.
Chimera Form. A 2 minute cool down, 15 second buff. Health globes grant 5 seconds extra, up to 15 seconds, for a total of 30 seconds maximum in Chimera Form. Turns the Druid into an Eagle + Lion and gives him a new set of attacks. Such as;
A hard hitting, piercing lightning bolt.
A channeled frontal cone AOE fire breath.
A huge radius ground-pound AOE.
A massive single target damage attack such as Ravage.
A charge ability that flies the player to the target location, breaking CC, with a 7 second cool down.
The last skill slot would be filled by the rune selection;
1. Summon multiple snakes to attack and poison enemies with a dot.
2. Fixated shield. A shield that can be used once during Chimera form, that blocked all incoming damage for three second. Party members can step inside this shield and also use it.
3. A stone form buff that makes the druid slower, but immune to all CC for the duration.
4. Extend a massive attack speed buff once to the Druid and the entire party for 7 seconds.
5. Creates an AOE stun for two seconds, with a 7 second cooldown.
'Utility' Type Attacks;
Elemental Shield. Decreases elemental damage taken by 10%.
1. Increase the Druids resist-all by 15%.
2. 10% chance on critical hit to gain 15 Natural Energy.
3. Grants + 3 Natural Energy per second.
4. Gives the druid free use of the next attack used against them for 10 seconds, 30 second cool down. Some attacks not eligible (such as boss attacks).
5. Enemies attempting to run in the opposite direction of the Druid will have their movement speed reduced by 35%.
Force Tap. Uses half of the current remaining Resource to heal the player ( each point of resource could heal for 100 health at max level or so). The point of this mechanic is to make it so this skill doesn't need a cool down. Instead once used more than twice in a row without generating your resource, it's really not that useful. The + HP from health globes and potions increases the life gained from this skill.
1. Switch to use 15% of remaining health for 20% of max Natural Energy.
2. Creates a -30% damage taken shield on the druid for 3 seconds after use. Incurs a 15 second cool down.
3. Uses all of the Druids resource to grant themselves plus all party members 1600 life per second for 5 seconds. Only usable when >= 75% Natural Energy. Has a 10 second cool down.
4. Damage surrounding enemies for 200% of the amount healed.
5. Increases armor by 15% for 3 seconds after use.
Iron Roots. A single target root immobilizes the enemy and does damage over three seconds. Has a 5 second cool down.
1. Summon two creeping vines for 3 seconds that seek out enemies, damaging and slowing them.
2. Create a surge of roots that immobilize every enemy within 8 yards of the target for 3 seconds. Has a 10 second cool down.
3. Increases the damage and the effect of the roots to 4 seconds.
4. Creates a giant AOE explosion after the effect of the roots is over.
5. Attacks made on the rooted target deal an extra 20% damage as AOE to surrounding targets.
Drain. Decreases the target's damage done by 20%, and puts a 1.5% Life steal debuff on the target for the whole party to benefit from. Can only effect one target at a time, and lasts 15 seconds.
1. Changes the life steal debuff to a 400 Life on hit Debuff.
2. Gain 5 Natural Energy every time the Druid strikes the target.
3. The target's attack speed is also reduced by 20%.
4. The Druid's strength is increased by 10% while a target is effected.
5. Vines slowly wrap around the target, dealing damage over time.
Swap. Change places with any targets within the small casting area, dealing arcane damage. Has a 5 second cool down, and doesn't require a target.
1. Increase the arcane damage and causes it to be an explosive AOE, but adds a 2 second delay.
2. Each target swapped with will grant the Druid 5% health.
3. Only effects one target, and instead of swapping brings the target to the Druid.
4. After 3 seconds, the Druid is pulled back to the original swap location.
5. On arrival, the Druid unleashes an arcane nova.
I've only come up with a couple passives so far, so feel free to suggest more.
Blood Rush. Every health globe picked up increases your shapeshift duration by 3 seconds.
Hungering. Recover (insert life after kill number here) each time an enemy is slain.
Power Surge. While not in a shape-shift form, picking up a health globe grants you an additional 3 Natural Energy when using Natural Energy generating abilities.
Razor Scales. Gives the Druid a chance to reflect 10% weapon damage back to melee attackers, and increases armor by 10%. Reflected damage causes the enemy to bleed for 45% damage over 3 seconds.
Natural Order. Spells have a chance to recover 5 Natural Energy upon critically hitting a target.
Lake of wisdom. Increases the Druid's maximum Natural Energy by 75.
Diseased. Enemies under 50% health gave their damage reduced by 10% and take and an additional 10% more damage.
Dead beast's hand. Receiving fatal damage causes the Druid to enter Beast Mode, gaining 30% health and 100% Natural Energy back, and all skills are set to cooldown. This effect can only occur once every 3 minutes.
Infected wounds. Attacking an enemy that is poisoned returns 1.5% of the damage done as life.
As you can see, I've really imagined this iteration of the Druid to be a full on caster, that can also shape shift and work great as a melee class. There might not be any apparent synergy between a lot of skills, but that's because all the rune variations are missing.
I would love to hear feedback on this, positive or negative =D Let me get one thing out of the way early though; I'm very aware a lot of these ideas have been gleaned from Diablo 2, and WoW, and I'll admit I got a lot of inspiration from both.
Thanks everyone for reading!