I'm voting yes for new expansion, been expecting one since finishing RoS.
- Pretty sure they've already said no to Diablo 4, and other games in sanctuary, so new xpac for D3 is most likely to keep it going - regardless of historical xpacs in the franchise
- The necromancer has already appeared in game several times, with links through lore that tie well into the game, especially after RoS. If a new class was to be announced, this has always been top of my expectations. (Druid would be nice, but I so far see no hints toward one - I concede, there wasn't to the Crusader literally, but most expected Pally or variant due to D3v's lack of shield user and a second Str user). Keeping this balance of resource users does point to a two class reveal though.
- Which makes me think these two new classes would use either a new stat, or even vitality. Threads long gone dusty here suggest warlock style classes that use life as a resource instead. This fits a Necromancer well, and could even be twisted to work for a druid if required.
- And keeping it going with balance - it's what the Necromancer and Rathma was all about, something that's sadly lacking in Sanctuary of late. The end cutscene of RoS hints at the Nephalem becoming too powerful and who could stand in their way, which to me brings to mind that our next xpac boss could be a Nephalem (with Nephalem minions and apprentices), with the Necromancers reason to return being to restore the balance they're upsetting between the usual eternal conflict.
- Possible thought if they're going for the fan favourite approach - we're all still expecting Cain to come back, somehow, some way. Even if it's in spirit as one of the Angiris council (who still have a vacancy). Who better to help than a class and order that deal with raising the dead?
- Anyone else remember the kick ass artwork for Ureh that appeared pre-D3v release? Google it. Then check the old info around what it is and why it never appeared. More than just concept art was done, hinting that it's likely to appear in future. Also, the jungles surrounding it are inhabited by Necromancers. Definite location, if not the main place for Act VI.
- The evils are all now released from the soulstone again, the Angiris council are still on the mend, and we have a new Horadrim order. That's a lot of story to still deal with to NOT get another xpac, and certainly more than enough that us Nephalem could need to bounce back and forth between heaven and hell via Ureh in the future.
The information for the Necromancer returning has been strong for a while, as has the likelihood of a new xpac to continue story threads (that aren't enough to warrant a new game, and too big for a simple patch update).
I've no idea if I'm even remotely close here, I've not been on this forum for a long while and just logged in to shout my theories quickly after spotting the Necro image on Facebook a few minutes ago. I'll certainly be looking forward to the BlizzCon news soon, and can't wait to geek out about what does get revealed.