I've tried every set with a few distinct builds and a few LoN builds, so i think i have a general understanding of the Necromancer.
I don't have too much time so I'll talk only about a few things that i think should be redesigned or improved.
First of all, I expected a lot of the Rhatma set, because it represent the essence of the necromancer, this is the problems that i have with the set:
- Resource management: this problem was half solved with the hotfix, now we only need to have active 4 skeletons to have full effect of damage, so we don't need to keep spending all our essence the whole time in keeping them summoned, but there is still problems with the resources: summoning 4 skeleton mages it's 160 essence (i know it's x2 with the ring, so 80 essence) and 50 essence for commanding skeletons, that's more than all our basic essence (2/3 if we are using the ring) and i can hardly keep it up using a generator, so I'm forced to use Devour or Land of the Dead with Invigoration; that's 2 skill slots, because i need to use some kind of generator in single target scenarios too so either a generator, LotD with Inv or Devour with the Flesh Golem).
- Survivability: this set feels too damn squishy even taking into account that I'm using the Jesseth set which have a shield!! So i feel forced to use Bone armor for usual survivability and Blood Rush with Potency to evade any instakill scenario. If i want more survivability I'm forced to use Dayntee using as a generator Grim Scythe with Cursed Scythe and as a weapon in the cube Trag' Ou'l corroded fang... and talking about survivability, even when I'm using every kind of source i could to increase it and have about 400-600 millions toughness, and the pet's legendary gem, my skeletons keep dying to area of effects affixes... please resolve this problem.
Do you see where this is going? We are forced to use too much skill slots in general when the set already force us to have 2 skills, 3 if we take into account Army of the Dead, which i understand that the devs wanted to incorporate so we have a way to clean big groups, but it isn't as important as other mentioned skills.
- Passives: It feels absurd that exists a passive that double defense without minions but not a single one that do the opposite which should be the common sense for a necromancer something like a Strength in numbers... so no defensive option except for Final service as a cheat death skill and Rathm's shield which is an invulnerability skill that in some scenarios could be abused (this passive needs a redo)... about damage passives there is only 2 options, Spreading Malediction, which is abused by some builds and force us to use at least a curse skill or Grim Scythe with Cursed Scythe, or Serration, which is a no for our build because we only have increased damage to minions; this kind of feels weird when most classes have a 30% increased damage in a few passives for different scenarios, and in some cases could be combined. About the others passives Extended servitude is obviously a must and there a some skills of utility like Dark reaping or Blood is Power.
- Complementary Items: Jesseth set is a must and his effect feels perfect but i think that it need to add some survivability because i can't hardly feel an increase of toughness by the shield compared the loss of damage with a phylacterie. Nailuj is a must for this build as much as Krysbin is for all necro builds. Bloodsong Mail should be the perfect armor legendary effect if it wasn't because it makes our pets explode whenever we use the command skeleton skill during LotD... as the weapons go we have 3 options: Trag'Oul's Corroded Fang, Reilena's Shadowhook, Scythe of the Cycle, (and maybe Nayr's Black Death).
A few ideas:
-Please make the Skeletal Mage summon animation faster, even if they took a little more to get out of the floor, so we could summon them faster and make the time that they are active start counting only after they rise and are active, not when the skill is used.
-Change to Rhatma's effects:
Your minions have a chance to reduce the cooldown of Army of the Dead, Land of the Dead or Simulacrum by 1 second each time they deal damage.
* This way we could chose the AoE of Army of the Dead and the utility of Land of the Dead (and it's combination with Bloodsong Mail) or Simulacrum.
You gain 1% damage reduction for 15 seconds each time one of your minions deal damage. Max 70 stacks.
* Increase the survivability.
Each active Skeletal Mage increases the damage of your minions and Army of the Dead 750% with a total cap of 3000% and the resource cost reduction 10% with a total cap of 50%.
* The needed RCR so we only need to use a generator, Devour or Land of the Dead with Invigoration. Other option to the RCR could be "Your minions generate 1-2 essence each time they deal damage"
-Change to Jesseth Arms's effects:
When the target of your Command Skeletons dies, your skeletons are automatically commanded to attack a nearby target.
While your skeletons are commanded to attack a target, all of your minions deal 400% increased damage and your defense is increased by 7.5% by each minion active.
-Change to Bloodsong Mail:
While in the Land of the Dead, Command Skeletons gains the effect of all runes except Kill Command and deals 100–125% additional damage.
* Between this or makes that the skeletons don't die when explode in conjunction with LotD or change the rune effect so they taunt nearby enemies instead of exploding.
-We need more options for belts and bracers...
-Change to Simulacrum:
Create a Simulacrum made of blood that will duplicate your Secondary skills for 15 seconds, increase your damage 20% and makes you invulnerable to crowd control effects.
*The way it's now it's only useful with the Spreading Malediction which should be nerfed.
-Change to Spreading Malediction:
Receive a 1% damage bonus for each enemy afflicted by one of your curses. Max 30-40% bonus.
*this needs a nerf...
-Redo of Rathma's Shield:
After using Land of the Dead, Army of the Dead, or Simulacrum, reduce the cooldown of the other skills 5 seconds and gain a 10% damage reduction, 5% damage increase and 5% resource cost reduction buff during 15 seconds up to 50%, 25% and 25% respectively.
*This way it can't be abused to make glass canon builds invulnerable and can be used as a combo buff that combine well with the changed 2p effect in the Rathma set.
If the post keeps being constructive I'll post my thoughts about other sets.