I don't have a name for this. Or any good ideas for one. I know the logo or name don't match at all and I was just using warfront and the explosion logo as an identity for the community who will take part in the development and testing for this project.
What do you guys think? Should we come up with a solid name and logo?
Lets do a challenge, any graphic artists make a logo you feel fit for this project, and good name thinkers post some good names Which ever gets the most popularity well take a vote and we can move forward from there.
If you want, do you have any direct communication you want to use.
Forum format is not going to be the best to keep discussions up-to-date.
If you are serious about doing this, I am in to help and get this project going .
I just setup a discord channel. For anyone who does not know about discord, its a free browser based chat system. It has live chat like IRC and you can also voice chat if you would like. I think this will be the best since this is super easy to use and anyone can instantly just go to the link and chat. https://discord.gg/0yZsGa892nUmQgO0
If you want to do a dark, climactic dungeon crawler, how about something like this:
General storyline concept:
Many years ago, the world has been ravaged by a plague of undeath. No one knows where it came from, but the humanity was completely helpless against it and though many have fought until their last breath, the war was lost. What little people remained, were forced to escape and hide within the confines of the cold earth, utilizing ancient ruins and dungeons as their last refuge. Ever since, the survivors have fought a desperate war for survival with the armies of the dead who pushed them further and further into the depths of the earth.
You are one of the Darkborn - a small number of survivors who were born and raised within the dungeon, without ever seeing the light of the day. Trained to become a warrior from your very birth, you are one of the last people capable of ensuring your community's survival against the hordes of the dead and ever dwindling resources.
Backwards dungeon crawler. Instead of making your way down, you venture to higher and higher levels of the dungeon - trying to find other pockets of surivors that your community can trade for resources it needs to survive. At first, it's all about survival - you're not a hero, just a regular warrior and a scavenger, who tries to aquire goods for your community and get in touch with other groups of survivors, but as you go, you slowly discover what really happened to the world and find the means to combat the undead and potentially allow the humanity to emerge into the devastated surface once again.
1. You most likely won't have enough resources, especially in terms of art, to create a sizeable, compelling open-world experience. I imagine creating an interesting, dungeon like sceneries will be a bit easier.
2. As far as I understand, the idea for the game is to be really dark and brooding - well, destroyed world, desperate fight for survival underground, being pushed into a claustrophobic situation where your whole community is stuck within the earth with nowhere to run to and forced to constanly battle waves of undead coming from the surface - it seems like a rather dark setting to me
3. It would flow lovely with the idea I had earlier about proving an easy to operate editor and allowing the players to create their own mini-mods end-game content as providing dungeon-building tools should be easier than creating enough assets and tools to create a vibrant open world adventures. Moreover, these areas could be explained within the game as new communities and hidden dungeon areas that you uncover.
4. The general setting reinforces the concept of being forced to fight for survival, i.e. the monsters themselves being much more scary and challenging.
5. Moreover, I think it's a fairly interesting and original take on the dungeon crawler experience, as instead of going down (as usual), you'd actually go up, closer and closer to the surface - which already, by itself provides a goal for the player; being able to exit the dungeon and see the outside world, which could actually be a great way to end the whole story (i.e. you leading your people to the surface and seeing the light of the day for the first time). It should, I hope, provide an immersive drive and progression feeling for the player - getting to level 1 and finally finding the exit to the open world.
So this is my general idea for what this game could be. I have a lot more of thoughts and concepts I think you could enjoy and if you like the two I've put out so far (i.e. the editor/mini-mod end-game and this one), I'd be happy to contribute
Also, while I don't really posses any programming skills, sadly, I have a lot of ideas for areas, quests, storylines, world designs and so on, so if you ever had the time to teach and tools I could comprehend (I'm a rather quick study, so it shouldn't be an issue), and needed someone to help you build the actual game-world, I'd be more than happy to try and help.
So, if you need someone with ideas and you find my concepts, based on the two examples above, worth listening to, or you ever need someone who could try to do work as a content designer, you can count me in