Tell me if you agree, add to or help revise my list. I wanna put this in the Blizzard forums when it is more robust.
Impale – Rune effects are very cool but no one uses because hatred cost is too high. Reduce hatred cost to 15
Grenades – Awful because you can just never hit what you are aiming at. If you just changed the mechanic to hit the first target they came across it would be a cool skill. Instead very few use it because you will never hit what you are aiming at
Fan of Knives – Remove the cooldown . That is all.
Marked for death – Go back to the original planned 20% buff.
Multishot – The only rune anyone uses is Fire at Will. Why? Because 4-5 shots drains your hatred on any other rune. My hate regen is enough to get a few shots off even at low hatred because 15 hatred is a pretty reasonable cost. Make Multishot cost 15 hatred across the board, 10 hatred for fire at will.
Sentry – Great updrages to it already, can it please crit? I can dream…
Cluster Arrow – 50 Hatred, are you flurging kidding me?
Rain of Vengeance – I dunno, remove the cool down and make it cost hatred or something, no one uses this.
If you really want build diversity you have to make the skills nobody uses more attractive or less penalizing. The reason everyone uses the same skills is because they are cheap and effective. Get it?"
1 - Impale) I agree to some extent. I'm running over 500% crit damage so see some huge numbers here, but the sustained dps of other abilities outshines this for high health mobs.
2 - Grenades) I personally think these are fine especially considering you can get massive hatred regen amounts with this ability. They take some getting used to for sure, but I do like the idea of them exploding upon impact. Right now stutter kiting is more of a wrist workout than it needs to be with these. This also touches on #7. It is, however, very annoying how this ability will sometimes not hit enemies with smaller hit boxes when they are right in your face.
3 - Fan of Knives) If they removed the cooldown they'd have to nerf the damage to oblivion. It's fine and it's amazing.
4 - Marked For Death) Seems alright where it is to me in a group setup where there are multiple damage debuffs rolling.
5 - Multishot) I occasionally swap to suppression fire if I feel like dropping prep while farming. I don't think the cost should be changed, but perhaps the numbers should be changed.
6 - Sentry) I agree 100%. While this is "free" passive damage..it has a decent amount of setup time due to the cooldown and is limited due to range.
7 - Cluster Arrow) This is where build diversity comes in. Cluster Arrow does massive damage and with the right Passive/Skill setup you can get massive amounts of hatred regeneration. I'm currently running around tossing grenades about for massive discipline regen and spamming this constantly for ludicrous damage.
8 - Rain of Vengeance) Quite a few people use this ability, however, the only runes I find useful are Dark Cloud and Stampede. The others are just extremely disappointing since half of the mobs/affixes you come across run around like idiots.
1) should have base cost 15 BUT, overpenetration should cost 20-25.
2) grenades definitely need to blown up on hit.
3) fan of knives.. never used this one, maybe they could halve the cooldown to 5 seconds ?
4) marked for death seems already good.. i don't have enough disc to use it tho.
5) multishot has the biggest letdown of being costly and underpowered compared to the other skills
6) sentry: its only problem is that i can't "summon" it like the hydra, it's half useless in real combat cause i can only create it on myself, so if i need to run i can never use it, if it's a boss battle it's useful tho. but we can never change skills cause we lose NV, and since most of the time we're against elites, moving a lot, so it's useless.
7) cluster arrow is unbalanced, either the cost is too high or the damage isn't on par, cause even if it's a splash damage, with just 3 you're out of hatred, add the story about not being able to change the skills on the fly, add the fact that the DamagePerHatred is honestly lower than ball lightning, rapid fire, and more, not many people will ever use it, unless you're gonna kill anything with a signature skill and keep it just as "finisher" or "secret weapon" (not making any sense, i'd say)
8) Rain of vengenace is one of those skills rarely used, that blizzard definitely has killed with the recent changes, as it should knockback/stun (runes), but with the whole cap and immunity thing, and the 30 seconds cooldown, it's so useless that it can be saved only if it does 5000% weapon damage, or if you lower the cooldwon at 5-10 seconds and make its knockback/stun NOT add with yours, as in, if it says it knocks back, it should, always, do it, without any kind of reduction other than the base 25% of inferno, that's what i think.
also i would change some other skills to not be so castrated by reductions, all the CCs have been changed to be used "correctly" in inferno, but everything has changed now, when a rare monster isn't getting effect of anything that last under 0.8 seconds, and your base CC are somewhere near 1.5 seconds each (-25% = 1.1, so after any CC it never does anything), i feel that they should be better (raised) or not reducted at all, another example is the life steal of nether tentacles, 3%, becomes 0.6%, hits one monster at a time (so it deals at least half the damage compared to other runes), it heals 600 with 100.000 damage, i think i prefer doing double the damage at all the times than this.
Sentries are amazing, with my gear sentry hits for 80-100k shot, shoots very fast, can put up to 3 at a time with custom engineering passive. Im using sentries when im farming on mp7 and ubers on mp10.
Cluster is fine as it is, some runes are bad but the spell is fine.
Other points i 'kinda agree' but well, to be fair DH needs complete rework for better skill synergy across the board.