I'll be playing HC from the start as well if it is available. As for classes, most likely the unannounced class first, then monk, then melee wizard. I doubt I'll play WD or barb as those aren't my cup-o-tea.
Take a look at the conjuration tree at the bottom. If the end tree looks even remotely like this one you will both have the survivability(images stoneskin) and the melee damage(this is taking into account that weapon stats will affect spectral blade damage). Should be good times.
I'll be starting HC with the 5th unannounced class(that is if it is a ranged bow type, I enjoy the physical ranged archetype of rpgs). Melee Wizard or Monk is a tossup as it all depends on if they make the melee wizard viable in the final release. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be trying it out. Battlemage has always been my favorite archetype in an rpg going back to morrowind.
I'm gonna be the barbarian purely because of the loot. Have you seen that shit he wears? He's nearly as cool as Kratos from God of War. Also, I remember Blizzard posting that when you get sick gear it makes your character look bigger or more imposing...adding to the overall bad-assness that is the Barb.
1. Wizard (definitely female. Male version looks like some shitty, gothic pseudo-gay :o) - I simply love mages, always chose them first if they were available.
2. Barbarian - his gameplay seems fun and it's a nice change after playing ranged class.
3. Monk - 1) a nice change after Barbarian, he's on the opposite side of a melee warrior axis (speed and precision instead of brute force); 2) he's moves and general appearance are cool; 3) he's a Tibetan monk with Russian additions (DA BEARD!!!), what more do you want?!
4. Witch Doctor - dunno. He seems cool enough to play, but lacks that "certain something" that others classes have... hmm...
5. 5th class - if it's a bow user... meh. I was never into ranger characters. Might be fun to play from time to time, but certainly not my type.
The witch-doctor doesn't lack anything Whoever plays the witch-doctor will have to play smart and strategic He truly is not like the other classes who can go in the melee and just kill everything in sight, but that's his charm I guess
hmmmm based on the aesthetic appeal of his spells i think i like the witchdoctor the best
based on the resources systems ive seen so far i think i like the wizard the best
based on anticipation i think i like the fifth class the best
based on potentially being the most rewarding for the hardcore player i think i like the monk the best
and based on being a big lovable lug with wicked cool armor i think i like the barbarian the best
I'm not sure of the last one, as I want some sort of quick melee spellcaster. I don't really want to do "martial arts" like the monk, but something like a poison/bone melee necro, or shapeshifting druid.
This is, of course, dependent on how awesome the 5th class is. I'm personally hoping for something like a ninja, where stealth is actually useful, a high damage, low hp, short range class.