It must first be recognized that loot drops are not determined by any computer generated models or Random Number Generators but rather by Blizzard’s developer of all things worthless, the Marquis de Sade. The following rules and suggestions will help to make your futile attempts to find something of value perhaps a bit more efficient. However, my experience in these forums is that this advice will fall on deaf ears.
1. The value of drops is in inverse proportion to the effort required to attain them. Therefore Ghom, Siegebreaker and Azmodan will never drop legendaries.
2. Since shrines of any type are never placed where they can be of any benefit, you will not find anything of value within five minutes of activating a Shrine of Fortune.
3. Resplendent chests contain far more junk then normal chests. If your backpack is near to full, ignore resplendent chests.
4. Never achieve 300 (375 buffed) MF. That is considered arrogant by the Marquis and you will be penalized for it.
5. Keep in mind that more valuable gear seems to drop after you have reduced your MF thru gear upgrades, perpetuating the theory behind #4. Therefore, always carry additional gear to artificially reduce your MF during runs of ACT3 should you inadvertently level up.
6. In the rare case that you do find a legendary item, never identify it during the run. It is far better to proceed in the misplaced belief that you have something of value rather than in a depressed state realizing you do not.
7. Your follower may be stealing your legendary drops and selling them behind your back.
8. Never assist that stupid blacksmith in the Depths. If he had anything of value, do you think he’d sell it to you?
9. Hold onto those crossbows with strength, those mighty belts with intellect, those wands of dexterity. Blizzard is planning a new character class; I think it’s a Koala.
There is a possibility that lower than 300% mf (before NV) does increase the chance for legendaries for me personally, as I have never had one drop when i was wearing my 300% set, but they seem to drop when i have around 250% after NV.
#11 On the rare event that you do get a legendary NEVER, under any circumstance, identify it without looking at the item in all the available AHs. So you can decide upon selling it for some golds unid (try to that is) or if you should straight up salvage it to save yourself a little more frustration by having to read the rolls after identifying it.