Hopefully this gets viewed by someone who can do something about it. Just wondering how/if we can stop the gold spammers in general chat. Its insanely annoying to be talking in party or in a private conversation and then have your all of your replies and responses moved way up the list by the 40 lines of text that the gold spamming websites use. You then have to scroll up and find what your friend just said back to you then scroll back down and type your response and hope the same thing doesn't happen to them.
1) Make a level cap on being able to talk in general/trade/looking for group or any other channel that will display to everyone. Make it to where you have to be, lets say, level 10 to start talking in those channels. Gold spammers do not take the time to level a character. They just make the account and start spamming knowing that it will soon be dealt with and removed. Also, if your not level 10, you really shouldn't be talking in general anyways as you probably don't have anything worth reading. Could make it to where as long as long as any toon you have is level 10 or higher you can talk in those channels, not just the toon your on. I think this is the best option.
2) Make it to where if you list more then "X" amount of lines of conversation in the channel in "X" amount of time, you are instantly flagged for spamming and possibly booted and those last . For example, say 8 lines of text within 15 secs gets you kicked off and flagged for spamming. I know there are some people out there who are very active and talk alot in these channels so this could get complicated. Also, the gold spammers would just slow down their assault so this wouldn't exactly stop it.
3) This is a simple one. Any new character created without any vowels in the name cannot talk in public channels. Most gold spammers just use a name like "qwfttqwttq" or "dsfgshsfg".
4) Make it to where you have to complete quest "X" to start talking in general chat channels. This could be set at whatever quest you choose and could be like a quest reward when you complete the quest. Could make this a reward for killing the skeleton king even. Or, go even further and make it to where you must complete the game in Normal mode, or Nightmare to start talking in general chat channels.
5) This is really an add on to the chat interface overall. Not how to stop the gold spammers. Make it to where when you get a private message, it opens a little tab at the top of the chat window that you switch to to start talking to that person. That way, you won't be scrolling way up to find their response because of the mass amount of text in the general chat has clogged it all up. Should make party chat and private messages a completely seperate chat tab.
These are just a few suggestions. Hopefully if it will not stop the gold spammers it will atleast slow them down.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
The gold spammers are why I avoid chat channels. It is such a pain in the ass with the chat windows being such crap and unable to customize. I'm sure they can throttle messages, but who cares, the bots will keep spamming until the throttle wears off.
or how about blizzard implement d3 voice chat as an option or just use skype. one way or the other gold spammers will be talking to themeselves lol. just throwing that out there. but i think skype would be your best option considering everyone talking at once would create alot of clutter but im sure blizzard could work something out in the future
Repeated phrases over and over again. Gold spammers never say it once in the same chat message, it's always 5+ times.
".com" in the chat message (with or without spaces)
It's absolutely stunning that blizzard doesn't have some very basic filters in place. It's kids stuff.
There's an easy work around for the first one, and a significant problem with the second one.
For the repeated messages: instead of a macro that spams the same line, make a macro that spams 5 different lines. Filter avoided.
For the filter for anything with .com in the line: why punish the regular players? I like to share links to funny/cool stuff with my friends while playing D3. Why should I be punished because of gold sellers?
That's why Blizzard haven't implemented your apparently simple fixes. All your proposed fixes do is fight the symptoms, not the cause. I'd much rather put up with the spam for a bit while Blizzard fix the underlying issue, rather than have Blizzard always be 1 step behind the spammers in an endless and pointless war that ends up punishing the regular players more than the spammers themselves.
I can remember in WOW, blizz did not do anything when we cried on forums, they did not give a sh*t. And why would they do anything now if the goldfarmers make money for them? Couse I'm sure they have a hidden 'contract' behind
Take the tinfoil hat off. They're uncomfortable, for one thing.
No, Blizzard don't make money from gold sellers. That's a frankly ludicrous idea. Blizzard are working to fix the spam issue, and that is actually proven by your own example. WoW. I remember when we used to get endless whispers of gold spamming; invited to raids where we were spammed; hell, we used to see level 1 character bodies spell out website names in the capital cities!
Now what do we get? I actually can't remember the last time I saw any spam in WoW. Sure, we had to put up with the spam for a while, but Blizzard were apparently working behind the scenes to fix the issue. They have (or at the very least, have severely reduced the amount of spam we used to see), so there's no reason to expect anything different in D3.
But honestly. Blizzard making money from 'hidden contracts' with gold sellers... Bloody hell. Conspiracy theorists are hilarious.