Let's say that Blizzard decides to make you call the shots for D3 development. You're provided with a modest amount of funding (not infinite) and a large amount of developers (enough to create an expansion, but not enough to develop an entirely new game).
What would you change, implement, tweak, fix about Diablo 3?
Just to give some ideas;
1. Would you add a new class?
2. How would you change/fix the endgame?
3. Would you implement any new features and/or revamp current ones?
4. Would you tweak with drop rates and/or legendary affixes?
5. Would you change current set items or implement some new ones?
Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."
"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
1. every year new class for me 12 total to choose would be perfect.
2. I would expand paragon system, skill tree, max level.
3. add new features each season (similar like now but much more game changing).
4. drop rates tweak hell yeah! I still getting other class items... Itemization kinda broken too many unuseful items all legendary should have different affixes (gameplay changing) we salvage too many!
5. change current no! Implement new each season yes! please
So having in mind that new team for classic games involved and D3 kinda is in that category we could hope getting something new not only small changes each season but more new content just maybe this year blizzcon will give more love for Diablo!
1. i would remove set items or nerf them a lot. They are to powerful.
2. i would nerf legendary gear drop rate. 1 pice every 20-30 minutes of average game play would be good enough. There is nothing special about legendary gear if there does drop 5 of them every minute.
3. i would remove half of the torment levels. There is no point to have so many Torment levels, people skip half of them anyway. playing torment 6 then finding a set item and skipping right into torment 12 is just stupid game design.
Reuse the Campaign in some way it's a huge amount of unused content, maybe let it scale like GRs do with similar rewards? I loved a lot of the boss battles and what not and wish there was a challenging, rewarding version of it.
Just right off the top of my head, other than generally improving the story writing, Get rid of sets, or make them just 2 or 3 piece and be less powerful. Make crafting and random chance important again, gambling for a suitable griffin eye or finding the perfect ethereal weapon while collecting the necessary runestones made the items feel that much more important and special when you finally had them. Nowadays you're salvaging 90% of what you find. They aren't even cool anymore.