Explain how my acc was "unrecognized login location"

• Just curious to figure out why this happened in the first place.

Right now, I am in the midst of recovering my account. It was simply locked because I supposedly logged in at a different address. I've seen these stories before, I also know what people will immediately say, among other things that I won't know:

"You downloaded something."
    "Your email password is the same as your game password."
    "This isn't the full story and he is probably lying."

ect...

None of this is true, regardless if you believe it or not, I really don't care. What I want to know is, how is it possible that someone could "use my account"? You can't get emails from this site, can you? I literally made the email address when I made this account. I have 14, yes I counted them, passwords written down in a notepad and none of my passwords are ever the same if I can help it. I do not have an authenticator for this account, as I didn't imagine actually "needing" one. I literally scan my computer 1-2 times daily with a fully registered and paid for anti-virus/malware.

Can someone please explain to me, apart from not having the authenticator, that someone could have gotten this information? The password I used for this account is literally the only account I've used with the password, ever. My computer is completely fresh, 2 weeks old.

Anyone with previously mentioned possible posts can keep it to themselves, I am only looking for helpful posts.

EDIT:
    I just fully recovered my account, just fyi.
  • Hello hello! Okay so this is one of the more common types of questions that we get, and the basic answer is that Battle.Net will be prompted to lock an account out if it looks like the account is being logged into from a previously unrecognized location. Now, a password reset is sufficient to override the lock, but an even better way to get around this is to prevent it entirely. When an authenticator is on the account it helps let our system know that it's secured, and in this way the lock system is not as strict.

If you'd like to look into getting one of the free mobile authenticators that we offer, you can check out the FAQ page that we offer. In addition to that, the SMS Protect helps make sure that if for whatever reason the authenticator has been reset (like if the phone was updated), you can still get in.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to let us know. We'll be happy to chat :)

Regards,
    Araxom

EDIT: Thanks to Rubex and Prology for also recommending the authenticators!