Soul Rippers.

• I don't think I need to tell everyone how dumb these mobs are. What are these mobs supposed to counter? Everything?

Unless you're a DH and can kill them pretty much before you even pull the pack, it's ridiculously hard to deal with these champion packs. White mobs, fine, you can kill them. I don't usually complain, but being tongue lashed from across the entire screen for 1/4 my hp (I play a monk with 1000+all resists, 7.5k+ armor) AND having that tongue grapple to me so they can smack me right after seems a bit absurd.

Who created these mobs anyway? Maybe make them slower. Maybe make them do half the damage. Do you see how fast they move? The absolute only reason I can solo these packs in Act 3 Inferno is because of Tyrael. That's pretty dumb. I try to avoid it at all costs, but when I run out of packs in Stonefort I usually end up heading to Keeps level 1 on my Siegebreaker runs. Sometimes these packs are CAMPING the waypoint. I won't even get started on that.

I don't have a problem with any one specific thing the Soul Ripper does, I have a problem with the fact that it's all combined into one. These mobs are like the Stygian Pygmys of Diablo 2 - You ran past them. You literally spammed Teleport on any class (yay Enigma), and skipped to Meph. Through progression of Act 3, without Tyrael, I pulled these champion packs into a corner, died, and continued on.

I know Blizzard has said they are fixing Inferno's 1 shot mechanics, so I truly hope that this includes an entire redesign of Soul Rippers. I wouldn't want them removed, because the challenge is fun, but dying instantaneously is, as Blizzard addressed, completely retarded. These mobs are single handedly the hardest in the game. At least the Herald of Pestilence's have a dodgeable projectile, and don't cast their aoe if you are in melee. The Soul Ripper tongue's are dodgeable, but pretty much only through luck.

I hope that Blizzard releases notes soon on what they are going to exactly be changing, because I think mob mechanics are pretty high up on that list. (Aka mobs that run away are insanely aggravating for melee to deal with). Until then I will continue to abuse doorways with my favorite blocker: Tyrael.
  • 06/07/2012 02:15 PMPosted by Misery
    Soul Rippers

Yea...
  • Are you competing for "Most Vague Post of 2012?"

You have my vote, good sir.

It's about as much as I can muster in a professional capacity when speaking about those dudes.
  • 06/11/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Commodore

Yea...

Don't you have anything useful to say?

All the time. Where have you been?
  • 06/11/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Muneraven

Yea...

Pretty much.

(Who knew that growing up with a monosyllabic Norwegian father would someday allow me to be completely satisfied with one-word blue responses on forums. Thanks Dad!)

Okay, that was awesome.

• All the time. Where have you been?

"Yea..." isn't very useful...

Oh, and I've been to Disney World, thanks for asking.

Sometimes we can't win simply because our text is blue. It's synonymous with "the man" or "big brother" or what have you.

Sometimes, if we try to join conversations as players and relate on the simple fact that we all have gaming in common, we're seen as unprofessional, useless, or even snarky.

It's okay. It's the nature of the beast. But if you're unhappy with our modus operandi, don't expect that calling us out on the forums will have a constructive impact. You should be emailing WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com. These forums are seeing enough traffic such that almost every thread an employee responds to is at risk of being derailed, simply because so many people follow the "Blizz" tag in with guns loaded.

Edit: I haven't been to Disney World since I was a kid, but I generally found it to be a very happy place.

• It's about as much as I can muster in a professional capacity when speaking about those dudes.

Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

http://i.imgur.com/ZXVE3.jpg

:o
  • 06/11/2012 05:55 PMPosted by lilbuddhaman
    You should be emailing WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com

Where it can seen by NO ONE and deleted FASTER.

People should make things up less on these forums. Too many people just say things because they're upset, frustrated, feeling disenfranchised, or are just trolling.

Stop saying things that aren't factual as though you know what you're talking about. You can be angry at us for any number of reasons. That doesn't mean you need to take everything to its (il)logical extreme:

"Blizzard moderates their forums and deletes threads because they like to have 'rules' or something; therefore, they want to silence all dissent while pretending to care."

No. :)

• Sometimes we can't win simply because our text is blue. It's synonymous with "the man" or "big brother" or what have you.

Sometimes, if we try to join conversations as players and relate on the simple fact that we all have gaming in common, we're seen as unprofessional, useless, or even snarky.

It's okay. It's the nature of the beast. But if you're unhappy with our modus operandi, don't expect that calling us out on the forums will have a constructive impact. You should be emailing WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com. These forums are seeing enough traffic such that almost every thread an employee responds to is at risk of being derailed, simply because so many people follow the "Blizz" tag in with guns loaded.

Edit: I haven't been to Disney World since I was a kid, but I generally found it to be a very happy place.

Its nice to see you guys have the time to make replies to real time sensitive issues like soul rippers being too hard, while stuff like quest exploiting, mat duping, ect. goes without a blue post.
    Yeah I am sure you are working on it, but it would be nice to have someone tell us that you are and your thoughts on the situation.

I don't think you actually think it's nice.

It's folly to think the types of topics you mentioned and this one are equally weighted in terms of time investment toward crafting a response. It's also a bit shortsighted to assume that an official response regarding questions about exploits, or the actions taken against people using said perceived exploits, is always the right thing.
  • There were some weird design decisions made with the game.

I like that some mobs have some skills that are affixes on rare/champion packs. Some mobs can teleport naturally, or have a pestilence naturally, or knockback naturally. Then you have the difficulty levels, where the higher the difficulty, the more affixes you deal with.

Then you combine these two ideas, and things just break down. :P

I'll say though, playing through the game a lot now, those mobs are probably among the worst in the game. The damage they do just in general is kind of absurd. They hit as hard as those mobs in act 1 that do the overhead smash you can dodge, but as a normal melee swing for them.

We talked about "hidden affixes" with the devs recently. In truth it should be no mystery what creatures are capable of. Part of learning the game and its mechanics entails understanding what different creatures do whenever you encounter them. By the time you even hit Nightmare you should have a pretty good understanding what a champion or rare pack will do just by seeing the monster type (knowing their core abilities) and the affixes listed under the nameplate.

Listing their default abilities as affixes along with the random affixes they're assigned just seems a bit awkward.

06/11/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Ceyl
    I think they are cute.

SoulRipper plushy toys at the Blizzard store.

$10

I'm callin' it.

lol