Diablo 3 -- Insulting perhaps?

• Like most of you, I am an avid Blizzard fan stretching back to the days of the early Warcraft titles. So my sentimental feelings / nostalgia towards Blizzard products tends to blind me to even considering what a new title from them is really going to be like before I even buy it. Don't get me wrong... I watch the trailers, the sneak peeks, and even get into the beta if I can. I didn't get into the Diablo 3 beta though, so I was really expecting something different than what I got with Diablo 3.

But before I went to write this thread, I stopped myself. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I am just one of a small minority who finds Diablo 3 lacking. So I went on the Internet and Googled "diablo 3 player review". I was astonished that the majority of thousands of reviews I found were negative, scoring the game 3/10 or less. I can't say I blame them.

I see a game with greatly improved graphics that have been used to cover up a huge hole in the product: Playability, customization for all of us who played Diablo 2 all those years ago and wanted to keep going with a similar system to what we left off from. You might call this system of leveling up with no stat points, no skill points and a strange forced cookie-cutter skill build just 'new', but I call it simple.

Yes, simple. Getting gear is fun, but is it really fun when you're just getting the gear for a character which is essentially like everyone else's?

I'll make this too long if I go on, so I'll stop on this note: Blizzard must make a patch to rework this game and fix its glaringly poor character development system, and they must make it soon. Not only are you losing customers for potential future titles, but you're killing your ability to spread this game by popularity. People are already giving it terrible reviews 2 days after launch. Blizzard is quite capable of salvaging this game, and it should be salvaged, because it looks beautiful, but it plays and feels boring.
  • 05/17/2012 03:18 PMPosted by organicmetal
    You might call this system of leveling up with no stat points, no skill points and a strange forced cookie-cutter skill build just 'new', but I call it simple.

It's simple on its face, sure. Many of the best experiences are simple at first glance, but if you delve just a little deeper, I think you'll find that it's much richer and more complex than you first imagined.

The term 'forced cookie-cutter skill build' is flatly incorrect however. It's a common misconception amongst those have either haven't played the game, or have only played the first few levels. Builds are actually quite flexible. I'll give you an example:

I was just recently playing Act III as a monk, along with another monk and a witch doctor.

Except for Dashing Strike, I and the other monk were using completely different abilities. I don't mean rune variants of the same abilities, I mean completely different abilities (including passives), with very different play styles, as a direct result. Since even more rune variants unlock in the higher levels, that means that build flexibility will simply keep increasing.

Also, because Diablo III isn't as focused on optimal play as it is on viable play, a great many builds will be possible and viable. That will mean that you'll be able to find ways to play your hero of choice that might be radically different from the way others play it.