Thought on Critical Mass removal.

• Before raging or saying things or insulting me or Blizzard, just remember:

1) datamined informations are not set in stone.

2) there will be plenty of ways to reduce the cooldown on skills without having to use critical mass.

3) please keep this as civil as possible.

From the latest diablofans datamined informations, it seems that Blizzard is experimenting with the removal of the Critical Mass wizard passive.

In all sincerity I hated the CMWW wizard build, mainly because it felt like cheating and exploiting a bad game mechanic, but I would never expected a total removal of the passive.

I have mixed feelings about that. Yes, that was the passive that gave birth to the game breaking permafreeze wizards, but I would expected a rework on the skill.
    May be a crowd control immunity on mobs after they defreeze or something like that.
    It would have kept the builds open to the use of the critical mass passive, but...
    It might actually work out in the end.

In RoS (and most probably in the pre-expansion patch) we will have plenty of ways to reduce the cooldown on skills.
    - Diamonds on helms (10% on marquise).
    http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/54/696/screenshot031.jpg
    - Paragon 2.0 points (up to 10%)
    http://www.diablowiki.net/File:Paragon-points-attack-tab.jpg
    - Rolls on items (for now we have seen a 8% cooldown reduction on weapons).
    - Evocation passive (20% brought up from 15%)

So... We can kiss goodbye to permacrowdcontrol wizards and that is a good thing in terms of gameplay (in my opinion, as it is just lame and stupid to kill monsters that are permafreezed)... (oh, I'm a wizard user by the way).
    But since Critical Mass was very critical hit + proc coefficient dependant, it will not be much missed if we take into account the other cooldown reduction choices we have.
    Let's be honest, in the end it only worked well with the Wicked Wind rune.

Now we do not know if the effect will be additive or multiplicative, let's look at both cases.

Additive case:
    Cooldown reductions:
    20% evocation
    10% paragon 2.0
    8% weapon
    10% diamond in helm.

Total:
    48% cooldown reduction.

Multiplicative case:
    Same cooldown reductions as before

Formula for the cooldown = (((((100(100 - 20)%)*(100-10)%)*(100-8)%)*(100-10)%)
    Around 59,6% of the original cooldown.

Total:
    40.1% cooldown reduction.

Having the possibility to practically cut in half cooldowns on skills makes the wizards much more dynamic, without having to be lucky enough to have the procs on critical hits.
    We will not be able to permafreeze opponents, but I think it is for the best.

What are your thoughs on the matter?

EDIT: changed the diamond colldown reduction to 10% in marquise, as shown at diablofans.
    EDIT2: calculations on the multiplicative case.
  • 1) datamined informations are not set in stone.

2) there will be plenty of ways to reduce the cooldown on skills without having to use critical mass.

3) please keep this as civil as possible.

Just emphasising these points. Also, anyone who has the Battle.net Desktop App and of course a Diablo III license will be able to join our PTR for Patch 2.0.1, which amongst other things include balancing and tuning for all five Diablo III classes. This means that you will be able to test out these changes yourself and see how they feel, in fact we will appreciate if you would do so and leave feedback on your findings :-)