Solving FPS cycling/spiking

• Hello everyone!

From what I have tested on my Mac - MBP Early 2011 (Radeon HD 6490M) - this should fix our problem with fps spiking/cycling.

- Step 1 - Show all hidden files on your Mac - I used Onyx. To do so on Onyx, go to - Parameters -> Finder -> Show hidden files and folders.
    - Step 2 - Navigate to -> "yourusernamehere" -> Lybrary (grayed out one) -> Application Support -> Blizzard -> Diablo III -> D3Prefs.txt. Open it with TextEdit.
    - Step 3 - Inside the text file, search for "HardwareClass" and change its value. By default, mine was set to "2". That would cause those FPS spikes and make the game barely playable.

Here are my results after testing 1, 3 and 4 values. All testing was done with AA on, Low FX unchecked, native resolution (1440x900).

HardwareClass "1":
    - all settings set to high: ~30fps, 26-27fps during combat. Some spikes happened, but were rare.
    - all settings set to low/off: ~40fps, 37-38fps during combat. Spikes were rare, same as before.

HardwareClass "3":
    - all settings set to high: ~23fps, 21-22fps during combat. Almost no spikes at all, better than HardwareClass "1".
    - all settings set to low/off: ~26fps, same as above.

HardwareClass "4":
    - all settings set to high: ~10fps, unplayable.
    - all settings set to high, shadows off: ~23fps
    - all settings set to low: ~24fps

Remember that if you change your in-game video settings to "default", it will reset the HardwareClass to default as well. If you see any improvement, please post some feedback with your FPS results.

Hope this works for you guys!
  • 06/14/2012 02:55 AMPosted by Icy1007
    HardwareClass only changes the defaults. Placebo effect.

I'm researching this has it may seem to do more than that from feedback.
  • 06/14/2012 02:55 AMPosted by Icy1007
    HardwareClass only changes the defaults. Placebo effect.

I want to clarify that when I said this, I was wrong and that there's currently effects checking the hardwareclass. However, this is something that we will fix and those effects will depends only on the graphic options. Sorry for the confusion.