Seemingly random very low fps

• Kuu
    This morning I am experiencing an issue where the game seems to be loading visually very slow and my character movement has extremely high lag. This happened a few days ago too (before patch) and it went away seemingly randomly as well, after numerous restarts and rejoining games.

I was playing last night and most of this week with slight playable lag that wasn't out of the ordinary, but now the game is beyond unplayable and I can't reason the cause. I haven't changed any setting since I played last night with no lag (and have far fewer background programs running now). I already play on fairly low settings and I have tried toggling most of them as well, and haven't found a solution. I've tried restarting my computer, restarting the game client, rejoining games, etc. The AH doesn't seem to lag that much, my audio isn't lagging, just character movement and initial loading of the environment.

I'm not great with computers so I don't know what to try updating, but because I have been playing without lag most of the time, would it even make sense to look at software/hardware? Is this a server issue?

I play on a 15" Mid-2010 MacBook pro, at least minimum system requirements, most meet recommended or above.

Sitting at 200-250ms which is about what I get when I don't have fps issues.
  • This is something we're investigating at the moment. I'm seeing what we can find out about this.

I'll send your feedback up and see what we can find out.
  • It seems to have increased FPS to 20ish. If nothing else it sounds like my fans are running a bit slower, so not sure if that may have been an issue. I don't think they weren't running fast before though.

Either way, it's not the same quality I had when playing just 12 hours ago, but it's noticeably better than I have had this morning.

Thanks, looking forward to any other suggestions.

Have you tried a PRAM reset?

Try a PRAM/NVRAM reset:
    1. Shut the computer down.
    2. Start up holding Command (Apple)+Option+P+R.
    3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time, or if your computer is muted, you will see 2 flashes.
    4. Release the keys and allow the system to boot normally.
  • 05/30/2012 01:26 PMPosted by alpjor
    resetting the PRAM worked for me! thanks support!

Thanks for that. I'll take a look more into the PRAM solution and see what is causing the FPS to drop and why PRAM reset may be a likely solution.
  • Seems to have boosted it up to around where I was, but i have a bit more stuttering. But it seems reasonable that with low fps I may not see the stuttering and with higher it could be more noticeable? Not sure.

I know that there is current issues with stuttering due to disk loading stutters. This is affect PC and Macs. This is being worked on and some of the prefetching will be changed in an upcoming patch.

05/30/2012 03:55 PMPosted by iMperious
    I have the same problem mine was at around 35 40 and now it drops to 5 10 fps im using a pc any suggestions?

You will need to post in the PC forums for any Windows solutions. As far as I know, there is not a PRAM equivalent on Windows.
  • Thank you very much for your help. I'm not sure if you're interested, but I figured I'd mention the SMC fix seemed to help more than the PRAM/NVRAM. Either way, the game is very much playable again.

Thanks. Here is what I've got so far for what seems to be resolving these low FPS reports after patching:
    SMC Reset (This resets the voltage going to your graphics cards and fans)PRAM reset (Clears your Disk Cache, RAM Disks and Virtual Memory)Rebuilding your D3 Cache files (This uses textures and what not that are pre-stored for quicker access)