An unexpected error occurred while updating

  • I finally got the game to download by using safe mode. so i switch back to regular and every time i try to launch the game an error pops up saying "An unexpected error occurred while updating required files. Please try again."
    This happens every time. It loads the launcher and says "initializing" then the error pops up and when i click ok on the error the launcher closes.

    What can i do?
  • 05/24/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Diabolic2012
    this just happened to me today. ive been able to play since i got the game but it gave me an update warning first then it just wont even let me in at all. theres nothing blocking the game from connecting to blizzard. what do i do here?

    There was a tools patch update today. What happens when you attempt to open the launcher and accept the update? Does this error occur?

    Have you tried some of the suggestions here such as rebooting your Mac, power cycling your network devices, or bypassing your router and directly connect to the modem with an Ethernet cable?
  • 05/24/2012 04:24 PMPosted by Diabolic2012
    yea i've tried it all just now. the launcher opens up but its just an error message.


    Same error message, or different one?
  • Let's try some permission troubleshooting.

    Repair Permissions via Disk Utility
      1. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility.
      2. Select the hard drive the game is installed on.
      3. Select the First Aid option.
      4. Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.


    Resetting permissions on the Diablo III folder
      1. Select the Diablo III folder
      2. Press Command + I
      3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
      4. Make sure you have Read & Write permissions
      5. Click on the Burst icon (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items
  • 05/24/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Diabolic2012
    im using windows 7 where do i go from here?


    You will need to go to the Windows forums then. This forum is for Mac users to get support and solutions will be catered to them.

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386227/
  • If you're on a PC and have this issue, please post in the PC forums, as this is a Mac forum. These solutions won't work for Macs.

    So, it seems the main culprit of this is the 802.1X option in Advance menu of network settings. If you have this on, disable it to allow the game to update/install. This is something our team is working on to see why.

    Other things that may cause this to happen as well (on Macs)
    No Internet ConnectionThe Mac needing a rebootThe Modem/Router needing a powercycleHaving Diablo III ports blockedHaving FileGuardian, LittleSnitch, PeerGuardian or other security appsA Case-sensitive HDD format