Anyway, in an attempt to get things back on topic.
End-game content in D3 revolves around running A3 endlessly. There are some arguments against that fact:
You don't HAVE TO farm A3.
Ubers are another option for end-game content.
You can play hardcore, or gear alts instead.
You can play without the AH.
My counter to that is a very large part of the community wants to steadily improve their character, playing the game the way it is designed. Rigt now, it is very hard to do that when having 1 character and farming A3 is the best way to improve your characters. Once you have 1really good Hellfire for your main, theres really no point in even getting hellfires for your alts because theres not much point in farming Plvls for alts, when your main will always be the best way to get upgrades for all your characters.
Also, because upgrades for your main cost exponentially more over time, it isnt even reasonable to spend your gold to gear your alts. If your next upgrade on your main is gonna cost 80 million, and you hve 20 million, you feel the best way to improve your character is to save that 20 million because you need it for the next upgrade.
Effectively, by gearing your alts you are directly gimping your main, meanin you are directly gimping your ability to farm A3 efficiently, and gear your alts. It's really quite a silly, and frustrating circle.
The best way to fix this is have an item sink so gear found in the environment can be used to gear up your alts.
With the best way to farm amounting to running A3 endlessly as you slowly gather gold for the next big upgrade to your super-farm main, it is going to be really hard to have any incentive to do much else besides run A3. Which IMO is the very core problem with the game, and the solutions to that problem are also the solutions to a lot of other issues:
- Add item sinks.
- Reduce the # of rares, but increase quality (10% fewer rare, 100% more useful rares....same time investment, less frustration)
- Improve mob density/elite density in A1/2/4.
- Give a reason to farm bosses
- Add incentive to farm on alts (remove bonus MF from paragon, increase chance for class-specific drops when using that class)
- Add another trade system that doesnt involve gold, to use to upgrade chars. Could be high-end, and used for mains to free up gold for alts......or low-end and free up gold for mains) In other words, a way to upgrade alts without hurting your mains resources for upgrades.
- Change Ubers rewards to have a chance for upgrades in all slots. Could be an item that improves one affix etc. Ubers are a good alternate and fun end-game machanic, but the reward needs to be worth the time and trouble of grouping.....and more importantly be worthwhile to farm even after you get a good ring. Could also make it so the ring you get always has the primary stat of the char you run with. This would add incentive to run Ubers on alts.
- Add a system to upgrade gear using crafting. Could get mats from areas of the game not normally farmed (lower density areas, or maybe whites only drop them. All areas have a chance for the mats to drop, but different routes might be better for mats, when thats what you want to farm) These items could be tradable, and if there is a place for BOA items, this would be it. You could upgrade an item using these, but then they are removed from the economy. Most likely you will want to do this on really high-end gear.....but if you do it's removed from the economy. Again addressing more then 1 issue, and also not inflating the high-end of the item economy.
I'm sure their are lots of reasons these won't work, or people won't like them......but the point is there are endless ideas out there that can address the core issues of the game, and get u out of A3 at the same time. I figure what I consider the greatest game-developer of years past can come up with something......anything.
Edited by Litheum, 18 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.