Very cool topic. Cacerola, I think we could have a good time chatting about monks.
I'm also an avid monk fan, and I really wish that class would be suped up a bit.
Anyway, I've sat and looked at pretty much every skill they have and thought of ways to improve them, but here are a few of the ones I like.
Absolutely agree with FoT needing the teleport on the base skill, and the need for combo style spenders. For a martial arts expert, it's pretty sad that the only direct instant, spammable offensive spenders is this:
- An very underwhelming spin kick that has more elements putting you at a disatvantage than anything else
- A massive bell (kinda lame lol) that's just way too expensive and also underwhelming.
- Exploding Palm, which is a great concept, but need much more rune variation
- Cyclone Strike (Does ANYONE use this??) Nuff said
- Dashing strike, no matter how much you enjoy it, it gets outclassed by FoT thunderclap in every way.
Thats it.. Breaks my heart.
So the Monk definitley need work. Here are some ideas, in no real order or priority.
- Cyclone Strike - I think there are several ways this spell can be reworked. Currently it's just laughably expensive, does no damage, and has a pretty "meh" effect. I say, Increase the base AoE, boost the damage x2 or x3, and a built in slow, but give it a 10-15 sec cooldown. Because who would spam a spell like this anyway? You only need to bring everyone on screen next to you that often. Just imagine that spell combined with SSS fulmanating Stirke. Insanely awesomke.
- Dashing Strike - I think this spell could use inspiration from Wave of light. I'd love if this damaged all enemies in a path (and at least 180% wd) , and I'd be absolutely fine with having it's cost increased by quite a bit (to avoid mobility abuse) for that. Plus you could get really creative with runes then, like a variant that leaves a trail of fire behind as well.
- Mantra of Retribution - Honestly the worst skill in the game. Of all classes. Ever. I'd have prefered for this skills base being more like Mantra of Evasion - Backlash (backlash itself shouldnt need to change). The idea with MoR is that attacks from enemies (or whatever) actually trigger real retribution, or counter attacks, based on your weapon damage. Re-casting could actually cause a little damaging nova. And that would also make room for a lot of awesome runes. I love backlash, (so much so that it would be better as a mantra on it's own) and would always use it if overawe wasn't so OP.
- Mantra of Healing - Not lame in concept, but lets be honest, fixed numbers suck. And percentages would work better, but still be boring. I think something that gives like 0.2% regen per enemy within 30 yard range, and 30% of your armor by default, that goes down to 10% of your armor, depending on enemies within that range. In other words, A lot of enemies means high hp regen, very little armor bonus, and a boss or a single elite pack will mean low hp regen, but high armor boost. Something like that.
All in all the monk is the only class in desperate need of MORE skills. Offensive spenders. Most other classes can get away with reworks and tweaks, but the monk simply has too few of those kinds of spells to work with.
I'll post more a bit Later
Edited by BillyMancer, 10 January 2013 - 06:27 PM.