Sorry for necroing this thread, but I feel it's still a topic that's worth talking about.
I'm running this build as well and noticed this topic and wanted to chime in a little.
I'm all for the highest minimum damage thing and am doing the same, however, I do use Acid Cloud for elites with this build rather than bears. Here's why:
- bears wind up time feels really slow and the range is so small and position-based that I find it to be more of a mana drain than anything else. The damage is nice, sure, but I feel AC gives me more options:
- LoH, which I'm running with over 1600 on my Skorn and Blackthorne's pants and if I swap to a Skull Grasp I add 200. I'm at about 2100 / 2300 LoH. This enables me to run higher MPs if I want (not too high, of course!)
- AC is also great for Fallens, which can be a nuisance now and then, especially if you've got a ton of them running into you. AC = instant kill, whereas Locust is a true DoT skill by definition.
- Combine it with Widowmakers and I can spam AC on Elite packs. Takes me about 5 secs to down an elite pack (without SoJ)
- Widowmakers (even without VQ); I prefer them now due to mana issue with PtV and not having insane enough DPS to down an elite pack with 1 or 2 ACs.
- Grave Injustice; yup! I do like it. I like the reset on SW and Horrify (Stalker). I do feel having 7 PR on as much gear as you can helps here. I can sacrifice some EHP due to my LoH amount. I also feel that the PR increase makes the run a little more fruitful since I still can pick up a bit of gold and I grab more globes quicker, which does add some damage with GF.
- No CoL and Sacrifice, which means, indeed, that I'm sacrificing some damage for speed.
- If I up my damage more (with a 6/30/12 SoJ, for instance), I might be able to down things faster with AC which enables me to to leave out Widowmakers and swap it for something differently.
- Visage of Giyua: 14 Locust / 6 Crit / Double Intel Roll / Socketed with Ruby
- Tyreal's; 3 sock / 15 Demons / 4 Elites; I don't see a lot of people running with Tyreal's due to the fact that that it doesn't spawn with double intel rolls or vit, but the movement speed and the added demon and elite damage make it a no-brainer for me. With my LoH I can just tank. It also enables me to drop Lacuni's, which are absolutely useless for WD builds like this. I can make up the loss of EHP of the Tyreals on the bracers.
- Inna's belt: raw added 8% Holy Damage / high intel / high vit roll; perfect for this build since WH relies on Crit dmg and IAS, which is pretty much useless here. (sadly and weirdly, Inna's can't roll with 7PR and an added stat, but it can roll with vit AND intel next to the regular dex - weird!)
- Skorn: 1600+ LoH / 189 crit / 300+ intel / socketed with 160/160 Ruby (I haven't found a 2h mace with these stats, especially with LoH)
- Skullgrasp; intel / 10 Locust (bidding on one right now with 10 locust / and crit)
- SoJ; 6 / 30 / 12 (still need to see wich one I prefer; SG or SoJ)
- Tal's Amu; 5 cold / high average damage / high intel / high vit / 5.5 crit / 60+ CD
... now this one is a point of debate; I've yet to find a really good Mara's with 10+ Locust and high Intel and I feel that Tal's does give us some interesting diversity, which brings us to my next point ...
CC / CD
- For Locusts, I agree that the most important thing is the minimum base damage - so not being dependent on crit is the way to go, however, why not add it if we can? I'm using AC and I surely wouldn't mind if AC, Widowmakers or the Locusts crit. I wouldn't go out of your way to use CC and CD if you can get it, like on gloves, bracers, helm, Skull Grasp, Mara's, etc.
So, that's what I'm running. I'm really enjoying it. I feel, especially with GI, I'm doing runs extremely fast and it's just awesome to see Locusts do their thing!
So, how about our follower? I'm using a Templar right now due to the mana regen (and mine can tank really well), but I think a Soundrel with Hysteria might be even better due to the damage increase.
Edited by DemolitionColorScheme, 03 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.