1.The guide assumes you are able to do act 2 without dying too much, 1 death for each 10 elites at maximum would be best. I use a decently geared monk for this (http://eu.battle.net...1/hero/15102566)
2. By chest i mean Resplendent Chest in this guide, except for quests started by opening a chest..
3. I know i am missing several places (especially the event where there are only elites and for which i would be happy for any help received in refinding it again).
4. You should not enter any other dungeons/portals/etc. that are not mentioned in this guide (most of them are either bad for farming or have only "secret vendors").
[u5. All unique monsters not mentioned in this guide are not elites (they almost never drop uniques; they do not give nephalem valor.[/u]
You should start from Quest 8, The Black Soultstone, last part (Soulstone Chamber). So here are the places:
- Sewers of Caldeum: small area, with 1-2 elites, a good chance of a goblin and a decent chance for a chest
- Black Canyon Mines: small area with 2-4 elite and a decent chance for a goblin
"This region has a chance to spawn a small cellar (SW corner only) that has a purple worm, if you kill it you get a cave dungeon with 1-3 elites and a chest.
The region to the south (Howling Plateau, to get to it cross the bridge) of this has 2-4 elites and a very good chance of spawning the Sirrico Caverns with 1-2 elites per level and a chest (however this is a big cavern, maybe not worth, more data required) , plus 3 potential events that give either a chest or an elite group in the center of the map." (Courtesy of Deducter)
- Stinging Winds: enter from WP Road to Alcarnus
decent sized area with around 1-2 elites and a chance for a goblin;
"There's a good chance of spawning the Forgotten Ruins, which has 2 levels with 2-3 elites per level and a good chance for goblins/chest on the second level.
There are also 2 potential events that spawns elite packs (Necromancer + unnamed event where you open a normal chest and an elite group of Lacuni always attacks) and 1 event that spawns a chest." (Courtesy of deducter)
- Alcarnus : very small area with 1-2 elites;
enter from Road to Alcarnus (right [east] and up [north])
only do the first part, do not go up the stairs
- Path to Oasis/Dahlghur Oasis: huge area with 4-6 elites and a good chance for a goblin and a chest in one of the dungeons.
you should enter the following dungeons each with one elite:
-Old Fisherman's Cellar, Swampy Cellar, Ancient Cave.
In Path to Oasis, in the South East, there is a possible event started by a started by a merchant (Zaven the Alchemist) which opens another dungeon for you (Mysterious Cave, 2 levels). This has ~3 elites, a chance for a goblin and for a chest. Here you can also find Liquid Rainbow required for the Pony level.
The event in the middle of Path to the Oasis never spawns an elite so DO NOT do it.
The Forgotten Ruins are found in Dahlghur Oasis: medium sized with 2-3 elites and a decent chance for a goblin
Flooded Cave is found in Dahlghur Oasis: medium-big sized area with 5-6 elites, 1 chest and a good chance for a goblin
Swampy Cellar maybe found in the N part of Dahlghur Oasis (does not appear in all games; NE from the waypoint): 1 guaranted elite monster here. However, this is one of the hardest elites in Act2, depending on the affixes of the elite and on your class (due to the small space melee classes have an easier time here).
- Ancient Path/Desolate Sands: huge area with 4-6 elites, a good chance for a goblin. Here you can find:
- Cave of the Betrayer: big area, around 4 elites with a good chance for 1-2 goblins
- Vault of the Assasin: medium/big area, with 4-8 elites and a decent chance for a goblin
- Cave of the Burrowing Horror: Appears after you kill a unique Rockworm in Desolate Sands. medium sized area with ~3 elites and a chance for a goblin and a chest.
- Vile Cavern: medium sized area with ~4 elites and a chest most of the times.
Zoltun Kulle Archives:
- Storm Halls: medium sized area with ~4 elites
- Unknown Depths: medium sized area with ~4-5 elites
- I DO NOT recommend going to Realm of Shadow as there is only 1 elite there (I still have to check DeadlyBonne's statement).
- After this you can kill Zoltun Kulle.
Kill Belial - quite fast to reach him and easy for most classes. There always is a unique pack of casters right before him and then him as well. Doable in 5-7 minutes.
Version 1.00 - Original Guide.
Version 1.01 - Updated Black Canion Mines and Stinging Winds. Updated the number of elites and goblins in some areas.
Version 1.1 - Updated information about requirements to farm Act2; added and verified data on all the areas; transformed the guide into a comprehensive guide about where to farm in Act2; did some formating to make it easiear to read (currently updating the guide to 1.1).
I would like to thank deducter and Nimo for their precious input.
Edited by ilumm, 10 August 2012 - 09:59 PM.