I'm a young game designer and I got bored one night and decided to write down everything I could about improving Diablo III Itemization and Monster Power difficulty evolution. I finally worked several hours and came up with some ideas. Some might be good, some not, I just wanted to throw them around to share with everyone.
English's not my native language so please excuse any mistake I could commit.
The current Monster Power difficulty evolution is basically an exponential increase of damage / hit points, I tried to make it more "combat experience changing".
The current Itemization makes any Melee or Glass Canon character rely solely (or almost) on "x Life On Hit" for low stuff players or "x% of Damage Dealt converted to Life" for nicely stuffed players. I tried to focus on nerfing those "must-have stats" and buffing other way of healing to promote new Life Sustain ways.
At any Monster Power, Champions and Rare packs have a chance to roll one random Behaviour Affixe. The higher Monster Power, the higher the chance to roll a Behaviour Affixe increases.
Behaviour Affixe changes the way a Champion or Rare pack acts and whom he focuses while in battle.
- Pack: Members of the pack stick together and never split farther than 40 yards
- Organized: Every 3 seconds, each member of the pack tries to focus the Hero that dealt the most damage to him in the past 3 seconds
- Helping: Members of the pack attack the Hero that's attacking the member of the pack with the least health remaining
- Smart: Members of the pack detects the channeling / long time cast area of effect damage spells and try to avoid them
- Bounty Hunters: Members of the pack choose one target among nearby aggro-ed Hero and focuses him to death or until they are dead
- Guards: Members of the pack defend an area, return guard distance is highly reduced for this pack
A Carrion Bat Bounty Hunter's pack:
Explainations: The goal of this feature is to increase the number of combat situation players can be involved in. It also promotes Control / Disrupting abilities for Tank players that may need to aggro nearby monsters to save their damage dealer.
- Trash "untargetable" animation time halved (it was really frustating not to be able to quickly clean pack of this kind of trashes)
- Keywardens now have 4 random spawn location in their spawning regions (it was frustating to wander over and over to finally realizes you forgot a 100*100 yards piece of map at the top-left corner)
- Diablo has now up to twice the Legendary Item droprate of the regular Bosses
- Density of Champion and Rare packs from the last Act IV checkpoint and Diablo has been increased (both changes to promote farming in Act IV)
- You can now freely travel from Act to Act with the Waypoint but you may only travel to the beginning of the last quest of each Act (promoting long run without being able to chain-kill Bosses)
- Nephalem Valor now stacks up to a maximum of 10 stacks. Stacks from 5 to 10 lasts for 8 minutes with independant timers (promoting longer runs and finding packs over the maps)
- Increased base Gold Pickup Radius, reduced base Health Globe Pickup Radius, reduced base collision size of Health Glove (promoting the player's choice to pick up or not to pick up this Health Globe, improving Gold Pick Up Radius to helps Gold Runners without the "Gold Pick Up Radius" item affixe)
- Picking up an Health Globe now heals nearby allies for 50% of Hit Points restored for yourself
- Critical Hits damages are halved for "x Life On Hit" and "x% Damage Dealt is converted to Life" calculations
- All Healing Spells now scales on an attribute or weapon damage (last four changes to promote alternative ways of healing)
Item Affixes Changes
- Added "Increases the duration of your control impairing effects by 4-12%"
- Added "Increases chances to Dodge by 1-6%"
- Added "Increases hit points restored by your Healing Spells by 4-20%"
- Added "Reduces the cooldown of all your Skills by 2-8%"
- Added "Increases Parangon Experience earned by 5-15%"
- Added "Reduces the cooldown of Potions by 5-30%"
- Added "Increases duration of Shrines and extra Nephalem Valor stack by 5-20%"
- Removed "Increases Gold and Health Pickup by 2-7 Yards"
- Removed "+2-756 Life after each Kill"
- Every "x Life On Hit" values halved
- Every "x% Damage Dealt is converted to Life" values halved (or capped at X value per hit)
- Every "Regenerates x Life per Second" values increased by 25%
- "Melee attackers take 1-544 damage(s) per hit." affixe changed to "Melee attackers take 1-8% of damage dealt per hit."
- "Health Globes and Potions Grant +2-12794 Life." affixe changed to "Increases Health Globe droprate, Potions and Health Globe efficiency by 8-20%."
- "Gain 1-64 Life per Spirit Spent" affixe changed to "Gain 0.2-1.5% of your maximum Life per 1% Spirit Spent"
Monster Power Changes
I tried to add several factors to change the game / difficulty experience from MP0 to MP10 other than just multiplying the numbers.
- Behave Chance - The chance a Champion or Rare pack receives a Behave Affixe
- Trash True Damages - Trashes ignore the Armor of a Hero for a percent of their maximum damages
- Trash Movement Speed - Trashes' increase base Movement Speed
- Dungeon / Event Chance - Increases the chance of all major Dungeons / Events to appear
- Healing Globe and Potions Droprate - Droprate of Healing Globes and Potions, item affixe "Healing Globe x% increase Droprate" increases this number
- Item Durability - Increases Durability Points lost when dying
- Captain Chance - Gives a chance to every Champion or Rare pack to spawn a bigger version of the most popular trash of their region. This Captain has a damage aura and better loots than regular trashes. Its aura applies to Champions and Rares packs.
- Goblin Spawn Chance - Increases the chance to spawn a Goblin
- Resplendant Chest Droprate - Increases the Rare / Legendary item droprates of Resplendant chests
The new Monster Power board:
Bye everyone and feel free to comment
Special mention: Reading this post greatly contributed to my motivation writting this post. Thanks to MrMonstrosity.
Edited by Yunyun, 12 September 2013 - 08:05 PM.