Travis Day on Magic Find
D3's game designer Travis Day posted two fairly big responses to players who are concerned about the lack of legendary drops on the PTR. He explains why the MF system needed to be changed and how it has been changed exactly.
Originally Posted by Blizzard ( Official Forums)Hello folks,
It's been a while, I've been off in Treasure Goblin land trying to get Reaper of Souls into shape. I wanted to stop by to give everyone some insight into what we are doing with Magic Find. For those of you who have heard me talk on the topic before you are probably already aware that MF is something we haven't been thrilled with for quite a while. The idea of MF is great "GET ALL THE THINGS!" the reality of it however is incredibly problematic and leads to more negative effects than positive ones. Getting the reward rate of the game to a place we are happy with is a difficult tuning process and when we try to add MF into the equation is creates a bit of a dilemma, one that was already pointed out in the thread, how do you balance the game to feel good for someone with 0% MF vs someone with 300% MF. Ultimately the answer to that question is "You can't" as such we have been trying to phase MF out of the game as much as possible.
In addition to changing exactly how MF interacts with finding items we also have dramatically reduced it's existence throughout the game. Having strong characters already equates into finding more items, both by virtue of killing things faster and also by virtue of playing in higher difficulties, which still do have rewards associated with them. Because of all of this we decided to not only remove MF as an affix from gear but also change exactly how MF interacts with different item qualities. MF will apply 100% of its benefit to Blue items, 30% to Yellow items, and 10% to Legendary and Set items. This means someone with 300% MF will end up finding roughly 30% more Legendary and Set items than someone with 0%. The design intent is to make things like Topaz gems in helmets or the Nagel Ring an option without them actually being mandatory.
I hope this helps clear the air and as the expansion moves further and further into its development cycle I'll start climbing out of this portal more frequently to answer questions.
Rewards per difficulty are still something we are tuning. I'll remind everyone that the purpose of Beta and PTR cycles is for us to test things, that means you will see things that may or may not be final. In the case of difficulty settings being rewarding we are still discussing and making changes to that system so what exists isn't necessarily final. (Nor is anything until the game has actually shipped).
On the topic of people thinking MF is an awesome way to get loot! Well here's a different way to look at it, getting better gear is going to get you items faster. I would rather you get gear faster because you are more powerful and therefore murdering hordes of strong enemies faster, not because there is a stat that secretly is the most important thing in the game but doesn't feel good because you have to sacrifice real power for it.
As to whether the drop rates for legendary items are right, time and data will tell. We know they were absolutely too high in the previous beta so we brought them down considerably to something that was within the realm of sanity. Again as part of a beta testing cycle we took them down to a place that is probably too low, but to find the right resting place we have to find where the bounds are, we were far too high, if this beta cycle is "far too low" than we have dramatically narrowed in on our ability to find "just right".
RoS Beta Known Issues
After the PTR Known Issues list was updated, the Beta Known issues List got some attention as well.
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker/ Official Forums)Hello everyone, and welcome to the Reaper of Souls Beta! Below you will find the Known Issues list for the current wave of our Closed Beta test. (Patch Notes are available here). Please do not report bugs that you see on this list, as we already know about them, and help out other players reporting bugs by referring them to this list.
As a reminder, this is a beta and changes will be implemented rapidly. This list will not contain every bug that is active in the Reaper of Souls beta content, and this list will be updated at a very rapid pace as the beta progresses.
What it is listed here are a select few issues -- chosen due to severity/impact -- that are active and confirmed as bugs by Quality Assurance with verifiable steps and an expected fix. We have hundreds of bugs in our database, so it would be impossible to list all known issues. Just because a bug is not on this list does not mean we don't know about it! In addition, potential exploits and the like will never be listed here.
Please note that documented bugs may not always be fixed in the order in which they were reported. In some cases, we may not have a timeline for a when a bug will be fixed and some bugs may not be able to be fixed at all. If we are able to verify that a documented bug cannot be fixed, it will be removed from this list.
Thank you for your continued reports, and enjoy the Reaper of Souls Beta!!!
- The Bloody Chest does not spawn in the Halls of Agony Level 3 during “Bounty: Kill Garrach the Afflicted”.
- The “Morlu Prison” event may not appear in the world during “Bounty: Morlu Prison”.
- The “Bounty: Kill Dataminer” cannot be completed while the “Matriarch’s Bones” event is present in the game world.
- The “Bounty: Kill Malthael” can appear as a bounty in Act 5, but the Malthael encounter cannot be accessed in the Reaper of Souls Beta.
- Covetous Shen’s unique event cannot be completed.
- Killing Belphegor too quickly during the quest "The Battlefields of Eternity" can break the encounter and block quest progression.
- The Soul Crucibles in Gideon’s Row and Nobles Rest Courtyard cannot be damaged by certain abilities during the quest “Orbs of Death"
- Clans cannot be disbanded.
- Searches made in the Clan Finder and Communities interface are case-sensitive.
- Clan Members are able to see Officer chat.
- Crusader – Laws of Hope: Crusaders with Laws of Hope activated will not be able to pass through sand doors in the Storm Halls and Unknown Depths.
- Crusader – Judgement: The Judgement skill with the Mass Verdict rune does not root targets that are hit.
- Witch Doctor – Piranhas: The passive skill Grave Injustice does not affect the cooldown of Piranhas.
- Bounties completed at low levels may rarely yield level 70 rewards.
- Blood Shard merchants do not offer any items for Demon Hunters.
- Items with the Crushing Blow affix may still appear in-game. The Crushing Blow effect does not function at this time.
- Various Weapons and Armor are using placeholder art or icons.
- To correct an issue with crafting that was causing a server crash, a hotfix was implemented to alter certain crafting recipes. As a result, some recipes may consume the crafting materials used and not create an item. We hope to have this resolved in a future PTR patch (See the reply below for more information).
- Death Maidens can spawn in Nephalem Rifts in large numbers, potentially leading to performance degradation.
- Reaper of Souls/Diablo III Patch 2.0.0 cannot be played on Mac systems with 2GB of RAM or lower.
I wanted to take a quick moment to expand a bit on the following issue listed above:To correct an issue with crafting that was causing a server crash, a hotfix was implemented to alter certain crafting recipes. As a result, some recipes may consume the crafting materials used and not create an item. We hope to have this resolved in a future PTR patch.
I've managed to obtain a full list of the items affected by this. Crafting any of the items below on the PTR could result in the loss of your crafting reagents:
The Helm of Command
Archon Spaulders of Vitality
Captain Crimson's Brace
Archon Armor of Intelligence
Mark of the Magi
Archon Armor of Dexterity
Archon Spaulders of Dexterity
Captain Crimson's Codpiece
Archon Armor of Vitality
Mantle of the Rydraelm
Robes of the Rydraelm
The Helm of Rule
Lai Yui's Persuader
Wall of Man
Captain Crimson's Deck Boots
Archon Spaulders of Intelligence
Archon Armor of Strength
Archon Spaulders of Strength
Black Bone Arrows
We still hope to have this resolved in our next Reaper of Souls Beta update so that you can all accurately test crafting. Stay tuned for additional details!
DamienJohn's Advanced Tooltips Suggestion
As you already know, our forums give birth to a lot of meaningful ideas and suggestions for Diablo 3's future. One of the main contributors - DamienJohn, came forward once again with a QoL suggestion - "Advancing" Advanced Tooltips as he calls it.
He has summarized it well in a single image, but definitely go check his topic out and leave him a comment with your opinion on the matter.