Quote from CardinalMDM
Watching the video now, pretty cool announcement....
Offline mode and/or local co-op is a great idea, especially considering there aren't many 4-player local co-op ARPGs on PS3. People can say what they want about Diablo 3 not living up to the standard Diablo 2 set, but even though Diablo 1 was on PS1, the port quality was pretty bad and most people loyal to consoles didn't really give it much thought. Diablo 3? They might give it a shot, and since the game has way faster and crisper action than D2 did, it could be a pretty interesting coup.
My desires for it, though, two-fold:
1) Cross-platform...will playstation players get to play with PC and MAC players? Diablo's supposed to have a massive community, and I think if they're smart, they'll find any way to make that happen, even if they have to introduce new modes of play to allow "certain" characters to go cross-platform, and others to stay the way they are.
2) Characters on accounts...if I get the console version (in addition to the one I already have on PC), will we be able to use characters we've already created and have been working with, or do we have to make a "console" account? Hopefully, they're available on both platforms.
Oh, one other thing....
I remember back when Spider-Man 3 came out on PS3, it also had a version on PS2. I've never played the PS3 version, but I had the PS2 version, and by comparison, it really sucked...understandably, I guess, as they made the PS3 version the focus and the PS2 version was just a cut-down port, basically.
I know the PS3 processor is pretty powerful, and I also understand that typically, Diablo graphic quality has been such that it was almost purposefully toned down to be handled better on weaker machines in the past...so hopefully the PS3 version will be crisp and smooth and not compromise the graphic quality. I get that they probably want to hype up the PS4 as much as possible, but it'd be disappointing to find out the PS3 version was really cut down and choppy and crummy by comparison.
1. There will be no cross platforming
2. You won't be able to move characters between ps and pc
3. 1 and 2 still apply if the game is online only
Take it to the bank.
I will bet that you will be able to buy gold and maybe some items from blizzard like every other PS game does, maybe access to new content.