Heads up resident gamers! Blizzard entertainment has recently released a new video game that takes the field of Multiplayer Online Battle Arena to a whole new different level.
With its game play set on the Nexus that links varied dimensions, Heroes of the Storm revolves around a fight between good and evil where Blizzard icons Uther and Raynor attempt to defeat Diablo and Stitches. Furthermore, this game seems like a grand reunion of the heroes of other Blizzard franchises (ie. Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, etc.), thus explaining why it was named that way.
The game offers a wide array of playable characters for completing your team of five. Generally, there are four types in which you can choose from:
- Assassin - can inflict heavy damages on vulnerable enemies, but may be held back by its susceptibility to enemy attacks as well
- Warrior - resilient to attacks, warriors are capable of taking on waves of enemy minions
- Support - these types can reverse tables for any team through healing and giving out added abilities to allies
- Specialist - whether it is to act as the team's commander or siege, their specific expertise may come in handy in developing the overall force of your team
The right set of heroes is one of the key elements of surviving Heroes of the Storm. But it doesn't end with customizing your team's abilities. Here are a few tips as to how to effectively maneuver your hero:
- Avail of the "try" feature - To get an initial feel as to a hero's stats, the game allows players a free trial of using it for a pseudo-combat. This minimizes the risk of regretting the gold you spent on someone not really compatible for your strategies.
- Raise the levels of as many heroes as possible - A common mistake of gamers is focusing on one character alone. At minimum, try to level up every hero you have available to level 5. This unlocks key abilities and can also help you tailor-fit team composition to your enemies' weaknesses.
- Practice new techniques - Before immediately trying out that strategy you're itching to use, test it first through a practice or co-op game. It wouldn't hurt to make sure you won't screw things up in an actual match.
Although there are similarities, Heroes of the Storm has distinct features in contrast of the likes of DOTA and League of Legends. Let's take a look at some things to remember before jumping into the game:
- Gaining experience - Your role in the team doesn't matter, nor does your favorite "last hit" strategy. Every member gains experience in a constant manner as long as all of the lanes are occupied.
- Team dynamics is a must - Though it may be difficult at first to communicate with fellow newbies during in the beginning, note that this game is all about team work. Communication and building strategies is what will set you apart from other players.
- Battlefields greatly differ - The game features unique arenas, but they all have one thing in common - there exists a key event that is vital to win against the enemy team. For instance, one requires you to pay gold to a pirate captain for him to charge his ship's cannons against the enemy lines.