This is my vision...

A regular day i come back home after work...

real life activities...

finally relax time late at night in front of my pc...

Turn on PC and before play Diablo 3 I visit official forums and diablofans to read some news about the game, watch some posted replays about different builds, find out a new guide and maybe help some people with my small experience at monk gameplay.
    Everything is there and i feel so relaxed after a busy day. I enjoy the forums and after 20-30 minutes i start playing Diablo 3.

Suddenly come back to reality from my vision.

Yeah just a vision, cause nowdays diablo forums are full of topics about "how diablo 3 should have been" and "how awesome diablo 2 was"

I dont feel comfortable with those topics.
    Can you please forum members, if you dont mind to make less dream threads in the forums?
    It would be really nice and would make me smile.
    You are all so kind and hope you will listen to me.
    Cause I prefer to read game guides than your dream about the game and a demonstration of photoshop skills.

PS1: After this locked topic i feel i need to explain myself about the new one here so wont be locked. Hope this thread doesnt break forum rules. It has not aggressive tone and is not a poke to some recently created threads. Its just an opinion. Moreover i dont use the word "dream" at the topic title. I dont have the copyright. I am posting suggestions in a very constructive, civil and reasonable manner.

PS2: If any of the text here is offensive or poke a forum member in any way pls tell me to remove it.

PS3: thanks for your time reading, want to hear if you share the same vision
    That's just trolling dude... It's basically the same thread that got closed but with different wording.

Quote from "Zero(pS)" »

]If you wanna discuss whether or not those threads/ideas have any merit, feel free to create a new thread without such aggressive tone.

followed moderator advice
    i am not trolling

Its my right to have a vision about the forums. Isnt it?
    Why do you feel so personally attacked that people envision the game different? After all, they probably paid the exact same amount of money to play the game as you did. Although this is an enthusiast website that doesn't mean it will always be flower gardens and ice cream cones and other tasty morsels all the time. Everyone here is so passionate about the game that it astounds me. I look around at all these topics and think to myself... "these people really care about this game." Enough to post, in some cases, a literal work of art in representation of what it could have been or still could be. At the end of the day, a suggestion is just that, and the more are out there, we can amuse ourselves at thinking maybe they will go into the hat for future changes. A closed mouth doesnt get fed. Everyone is entitled to an opinion at the end of the day. As for suggestions, I have one just for you: go directly to the Diablo 3 sub forums relevant to your interests and not the Diablo 3 general discussion forum. Maybe take a second and suggest something like a strategy forum, where strategy can be discussed solely.

Edit - Call me crazy did there not used to be a strategy sub-forum? Getting all my sites mixed up these days :facepalmsmile:
    It is my vision that everyone treats threads in this forum as a MLP:FiM RPG, will all user please do this and make me smile?

But seriously, if you don't like threads discussing the state of and ideas for improving the game just ignore said threads, or stick to the class forums were discussion is more likely to be guides and video for different play styles/strategy.
    Quote from TheSeanis

Why do you feel so personally attacked that people envision the game different?

I dont feel personally attacked.

But i feel its not ok to have a 90% of the general discussion topics talking about "how crappy is the development", "new patch sucks, i dream the perfect new patch", "diablo 3 wins the fail game award", "give as back diablo 2 gameplay", "make it like POE" etc

And all that content is posted at the original forums and a forum called DiabloFans

Then i say that i hate those topics, and my topic is closed considered flame/troll
    Sorry that i dont hate diablo 3 and love to play it the way it is.
    I'm sure there are quite a few people here that enjoy D3 for what it is at the moment (me being one of them) but while I disagree with the constant "MOAR CONTENT!" stuff, I think most of us recognise the existing systems like itemisation, item/stat diversity and crafting need some improvement, so what's the harm in discussing ideas?
    While I would have expressed it differently, and don't feel that strongly about it, there's a bit of truth behind what thesikaleon says.

It's almost worrying that the 1.09 fake patch notes (the "dream" thing was added afterwards) have become the third-highest rated content to be published on DiabloFans ever. While I liked the post itself, I was worried about it for several reasons:
    1. The way the ideas were published was deceptive (looked like original patch notes), hidden behind large walls of text (while the ideas could've been condensed into much smaller pieces), and thus seemed to me like crying for attention. It also made them unsuitable for re-post on the official forums... why? For a real impact post your stuff on the official forums (using trackback).
    2. The fact that this post got such incredibly huge attention obviously encouraged lots of copycats. Sadly, no copycat has ever been as good as the original. In the next few days or weeks we'll have to read through similar walls of text. Again, if this would've been a list of bullet points, it would've made up for a much better discussion - as we had in the past, by the way! I remember we had some really good discussions about possible improvements in November/December, and many of them have become or will soon become reality!
    3. Almost all the ideas from the dream thread are not original, and they are either confirmed future changes or changes that won't happen for a reason:
    • Trading post: As many mentioned in the thread, it's like going back to D2; won't happen. Blizzard acknowledges that the AH is a curse rather than a blessing, but it's too late to completely change gears now.
    • Crafting: Blizzard already mentioned that they want to revise the different types of damage, though they haven't talked about how to do this exactly.
    • Mystic: Okay, this is bringing back the Mystic from beta. I wonder how many people thought this was original... it's nothing new, really, and it was removed for a reason. It might come back later, but it needs to add more depth than what was proposed before...
    • Itemization: All this was mentioned before - mainly by Travis Day - in blue posts, "ask the devs", and his developer's journal. If you say "well but he created nice specific ideas and awesome screenshots!" - there was even a thread on the official forum asking for new legendary item ideas.
    • Dungeons: Big fat nope. Blizzard mentions this like a hundred times - there are five areas and people are visiting only one (act 3) right now. This is why they're changing mob density in act 1, 2, 4, and Whimsyshire. If you add a specific awesome dungeon, it's even more difficult to make it interesting enough to go there but not too interesting such that wizards go on "Teleport dungeon search mode" again to bypass all the other content that Blizzard put so much work in.
    • The legendary beam for multiplayer was the only original and nice idea I haven't heard yet and I fully agree with.
    Phew. This is a part of the forum where no one ever looks, so I'm not that afraid of putting my $0.02 here. I didn't dare to write this into the "dream" thread after so many people completely went crazy about it. If MrMonstrosity is gonna read this I also want to apologize for not falling in love with his dream, but maybe it's just my tendency that I sometimes feel like I have to search for the flaws in work (it's just what you have to do when reviewing research papers all the time ;-) sometimes a paper that looked good on first glance will be rejected).
    Quote from Bagstone

While I would have expressed it differently, and don't feel that strongly about it, there's a bit of truth behind what thesikaleon says.

It's almost worrying that the 1.09 fake patch notes (the "dream" thing was added afterwards) have become the third-highest rated content to be published on DiabloFans ever. While I liked the post itself, I was worried about it for several reasons:
    1. The way the ideas were published was deceptive (looked like original patch notes), hidden behind large walls of text (while the ideas could've been condensed into much smaller pieces), and thus seemed to me like crying for attention. It also made them unsuitable for re-post on the official forums... why? For a real impact post your stuff on the official forums (using trackback).
    2. The fact that this post got such incredibly huge attention obviously encouraged lots of copycats. Sadly, no copycat has ever been as good as the original. In the next few days or weeks we'll have to read through similar walls of text. Again, if this would've been a list of bullet points, it would've made up for a much better discussion - as we had in the past, by the way! I remember we had some really good discussions about possible improvements in November/December, and many of them have become or will soon become reality!
    3. Almost all the ideas from the dream thread are not original, and they are either confirmed future changes or changes that won't happen for a reason:
    • Trading post: As many mentioned in the thread, it's like going back to D2; won't happen. Blizzard acknowledges that the AH is a curse rather than a blessing, but it's too late to completely change gears now.
    • Crafting: Blizzard already mentioned that they want to revise the different types of damage, though they haven't talked about how to do this exactly.
    • Mystic: Okay, this is bringing back the Mystic from beta. I wonder how many people thought this was original... it's nothing new, really, and it was removed for a reason. It might come back later, but it needs to add more depth than what was proposed before...
    • Itemization: All this was mentioned before - mainly by Travis Day - in blue posts, "ask the devs", and his developer's journal. If you say "well but he created nice specific ideas and awesome screenshots!" - there was even a thread on the official forum asking for new legendary item ideas.
    • Dungeons: Big fat nope. Blizzard mentions this like a hundred times - there are five areas and people are visiting only one (act 3) right now. This is why they're changing mob density in act 1, 2, 4, and Whimsyshire. If you add a specific awesome dungeon, it's even more difficult to make it interesting enough to go there but not too interesting such that wizards go on "Teleport dungeon search mode" again to bypass all the other content that Blizzard put so much work in.
    • The legendary beam for multiplayer was the only original and nice idea I haven't heard yet and I fully agree with.
    Phew. This is a part of the forum where no one ever looks, so I'm not that afraid of putting my $0.02 here. I didn't dare to write this into the "dream" thread after so many people completely went crazy about it. If MrMonstrosity is gonna read this I also want to apologize for not falling in love with his dream, but maybe it's just my tendency that I sometimes feel like I have to search for the flaws in work (it's just what you have to do when reviewing research papers all the time ;-) sometimes a paper that looked good on first glance will be rejected).

Totally agree! Most of these patch note fanfics tend to either suggest "bandaid" fixes or propose ideas so large in scope there's no possible way they could fit into a basic patch. It sorta breaks the writing style when they try and impersonate blizzard's tone (i.e. "We're adding X") but then suggest looney toons ideas.

Also yes, long live the bullet list.
    Quote from Bagstone

I disagree with you starting at PHEW... I think MrMonstrosity made exactly what most people would agree was a good "post/thread" Blizzard said it was ok if we made a "wish-list" and that is exactly what he did. His ideas incorporated many of blizzards "design philosophies" - im guessing to add the "this can actually make it in the game effect"; which, I would gather is the reason the thread became so popular. I liked most of his ideas, and I thought the trading post could of been a decent Addition to the game-but not a replacement for the AH.

I can see where the OP doesnt like the "dream" threads because he probably didnt invest the time that a lot of us did playing D2. But - he is entitled to his opinion like you and I.
    Quote from Bagstone

TBH that's the main issue that I have with stuff like that, when it's masquerading as a repost of something official.

Other than that, most posts are fairly poorly thought out (Guyz make it more liek WoW!!!!/mechanics not thought through properly etc.) and the 'improvements' suggest are only often just targeted at a tiny subset of players, or a pet feature that a poster wants to see.

The only feature that would be interesting from the Dr. King thread would be the Trading Post, but if something like that were to exist, it would have to be alongside the AH and I should imagine use would be incredibly limited, but as Bagstone said, there was nothing original in there, and in the end it pretty much comes down to photoshop skills and a rehashed collection of other peoples ideas.

Thats said, I don't like the idea of saying "you can't post your game ideas here, talk about this instead" the best way is for the community to ignore posts with poorly thought out ideas, unfortunately this is the internet so if you made a post stating that "D3 needs more kittens with ninja outfits" it will get endless views and +1's. Perhaps the best solution is to have a dedicated 'Game Ideas' forum.
    This thread is fine thesikaleon. See? You could do it, man :)

And I actually agree with your point. But I'll quote Bagstone he did a much better job explaining why.

Quote from Bagstone

Solid points that a lot of people seem to forget when praising that kind of thread, both here and on the official forums.

Although I would definitely like that Dungeons got some sort of improvement, not to feel mandatory, but to feel worth exploring. Either having a chance of having more lvls (instead of just 2 - and then a chance for multiple resplandecent chests), or anything along those lines.
    Quote from Nodnarb

I disagree with you starting at PHEW... I think MrMonstrosity made exactly what most people would agree was a good "post/thread" Blizzard said it was ok if we made a "wish-list" and that is exactly what he did. His ideas incorporated many of blizzards "design philosophies" - im guessing to add the "this can actually make it in the game effect"; which, I would gather is the reason the thread became so popular. I liked most of his ideas, and I thought the trading post could of been a decent Addition to the game-but not a replacement for the AH.

I can see where the OP doesnt like the "dream" threads because he probably didnt invest the time that a lot of us did playing D2. But - he is entitled to his opinion like you and I.

Making a "wish list" is not the same as making fake patch notes. The thread title was changed and disclaimers were added *after* the original thread was posted, as indicated by posts immediately after the OP in that thread. That OP was designed from day one to impersonate blizzard and continues to dupe people even after it's been "revised". It continues to receive attention less for its ideas (which are fine and within bounds, if not my cup of tea) and more for it's deceptive writing style. Which, no surprise, is why it's original posting to the official forums was deleted.
    I had made a post a few days ago. I mention it only because I fear I did fall into the trap of also jumping on the bandwagon of wish list. I think the biggest failures of the 1.09 "dream" post was the sensationalist title(both before and after change) and the fact that it seems to suggest this type of stuff can and should be done in the next incremental patch. The sort of things suggested would be a 6 month wait for the patch at least, and that is probably just to hit a PTR.

To bullet out or even detail out what you would like to see in the future for Diablo 3, as the next steps for the game is probably a great thing. Even having multiple varying lists is probably a good thing as well. You sort of get both a Venn Diagram of future improvements AND a collective design iteration on those improvements. The problem comes when someone's list is considered wrong for having different priorities.

I personally was guilty of this. I stopped reading the 1.09 post as soon as I finished the Trading Post idea. I thought it was terrible for a lot of reasons, and I would honestly be less willing to play the game if it went in. However, after I posted my own thread I went back and read the rest and realized, there is a lot more in common than different. Just slightly different priorities and focus.

It seems clear to me that more and deeper and random dungeons seems to be something people want. Probably because of how rigid runs can be in the overworld. More rewarding exploration of procedural environments is probably a killer improvement(along with design fixes already in the pipeline). So maybe us as a passionate intelligent community can flesh this out. Write it up, and post this sort of focused feedback. Once that gets moving we move on to the next killer feature, whatever else seems to be a common vein, probably the more difficult to agree on Ladder/Race/Competition discussion.

Edit: Didn't notice this thread moved.. this post may not be as relevent as originally thought. My apologies.
    I think that Bagstone's atitude is alot more informative and critical. There is no point in the OP other than personal preference which is not that interesteding...

Quote from Nodnarb

never played diablo 2 ;)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes