Diablo III Auction House is Shutting Down on March 18, 2014

Not a fan of going to forums to scroll through forum thread titles to find items. AH was a mess, but they should still implement a tool to integrate it into the game itself. Maybe a Craigslist-type window where you post your item w/ a message. That post will only have a "Message Seller" button where you can send them an in-game message. Yes, seller may get spammed, Blizzard can put in some system to allow only one message per account w/ a read-receipt, and so forth. This also allows you to filter for the item specifically versus scrolling and searching a forum for something specific.
    Quote from maka

Wow, people are really coming out of the woodwork. Where were all you bastards when I was being outnumbered 20 to 1 on the whole AH issue?

I jest :P

The crowd that comments on the news is very different from the ones that post on the forums. In general, if you read news comments, it's basically the b.net crowd.

I, personally, don't give a shit if they remove the AH. I haven't used it for quite a while and I didn't plan on using it in the future. But I think without some way to facilitate trading that amounts to more than sitting in trade chat and competing with the chat bots.... that this is a myopic solution.

My biggest concern is that D2 was better-equipped to handle trading (better chat interface, named games, no need for battletags to join a game) than D3 currently is. That means, without some kind of improvement... trading in D3 is going to be worse than D2 and, likely, going to amount to forum use.

One thing I have always taken issue with is any "trading" solution that requires alt-tabbing. It's lazy, sloppy, and something that was appropos in 1998 but is completely unacceptable in 2013.

It has no bearing on how I play, but I can clearly see this as a major stumbling point. If someone chooses to trade an item it shouldn't take a feat of herculean strength to arrange a trade.
    p450 :: 92.2k EK :: 2.54m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Never have i seen such collective joy all gathered up in one topic on these forums.

The joy of all these people - let alone the awesome news - Make me really happy. <3
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyPoochification - Let's Play of Eastern Sun/Other stuff
    Quote from Zunimassa

Not a fan of going to forums to scroll through forum thread titles to find items. AH was a mess, but they should still implement a tool to integrate it into the game itself. Maybe a Craigslist-type window where you post your item w/ a message. That post will only have a "Message Seller" button where you can send them an in-game message. Yes, seller may get spammed, Blizzard can put in some system to allow only one message per account w/ a read-receipt, and so forth. This also allows you to filter for the item specifically versus scrolling and searching a forum for something specific.

you mean, make an AH? =p

having the AH isnt bad. But also keeping the AH is bad, because then it would promote botting and gold farming and what not. So eventho its not a good decision to completely remove the whole thing, its 1 step forward and they can build upon that.
    Quote from shaggy

I, personally, don't give a shit if they remove the AH. I haven't used it for quite a while and I didn't plan on using it in the future. But I think without some way to facilitate trading that amounts to more than sitting in trade chat and competing with the chat bots.... that this is a myopic solution.

I don't use the AH, so, if you're strictly talking about its existence, in an abstract sense, then I don't care either way, because I don't use it.
    However, its non-existence makes me 'happy' for two reasons:

1) it's definitive proof that they really care about the "self-found-and-trade-with-friends" style of play, which is how I play, so I'm happy about that;
    2) it means they have the freedom to, from now on, implement any change they think will make the game more fun, and not be worried about what said change will do to the economy/AH. It's supremely liberating.
    with this and the other upcoming changes, all i need is an offline/LAN mode. it's effing sweet to see diablo 3 is finally coming out!

blizzard, i love you again
    I have to say I really don't get this, and I'm actually not talking about them removing the AH, but rather that so many actually say the AH is bad and ruining their game.
    You NEVER had to use the AH, you could make a char with your friends and just level up, playing with the gear you found, you could choose to play all this time and never even open AH.
    It's sounds a bit to me like the problem is actually the fact that some people have the money to buy all the best gear, and some don't have those kind of money to spend.
    What to me is even more confusing is why it's a problem if someone buys the best gear.
    Do you HAVE to play with him/her ? No.
    Do you HAVE to compare your gear to his/hers ? No
    Could you just play the game, the way you wanted to (No AH) ? Yes, you actually could, if you chose not to.
    But you feel forced to use AH for w/e reason, and to me that is like, saying we better remove chocolate worldwide because I don't have the self-control to not buy it when I see it.
    You have options in life, what you choose to do is up to you.
    Personally I enjoy fooling around with an AH as much as I enjoy actually play, for me it will just mean that this will now be just a game, there will be no more joy of actually earning just a tiny bit by playing a game, farming, just for the sake of farming.

That being said I think it's great blizzard is listing to the majority of the players, it's sad the majority feel like they have to use an AH if it's there, even thou it destroys their game.
    Quote from Kranax

I have to say I really don't get this, and I'm actually not talking about them removing the AH, but rather that so many actually say the AH is bad and ruining their game.
    You NEVER had to use the AH, you could make a char with your friends and just level up, playing with the gear you found, you could choose to play all this time and never even open AH.

I would refer you to my previous post (#125).

Quote from Kranax

It's sounds a bit to me like the problem is actually the fact that some people have the money to buy all the best gear, and some don't have those kind of money to spend.

Now you just sound silly.

Quote from Kranax

Personally I enjoy fooling around with an AH as much as I enjoy actually play, for me it will just mean that this will now be just a game, there will be no more joy of actually earning just a tiny bit by playing a game, farming, just for the sake of farming.

Yes, now it's just a game.
    That's a good thing, by the way.
    Quote from eziux

Am I dreaming? That also must mean awesome trade chat system is coming.
    I am happy about this move but do you honestly think trade chat will stay in any trade only chat?
    Justame
    For someone who plays in a vacuum this news has little effect on me. It would have a greater effect on me if Loot 2.0 didn't exist. :P
    sto lavorando
    Wow, I had not even begun to consider the possibility of ever dreaming of seeing that one coming!!

Absolutely stunned and amazed!

I would say that the genie was out of the bottle already, but given that this will no doubt coincide with the expansion launch, this might just work!! Even more excited about Reaper of Souls now!!
    I'm excited to play diablo again. I was really starting to lose faith in this game, but with the AH now having a doom counter, loot 2.0, ROS, mystic stat rerolling, crafting that will not suck, paragon 2.0, transmog, and new content to reward players who play the game the way it was meant my hopes are much higher.

Only two problems I have is 1) Really hope the targeted drops are a lot better, and I mean a lot better, and 2) wish it was sooner.
    Quote from IcySoul

I dont think shuting down the AH will be a good thing.Unless they put a good trade system the channel will be overwhelmed with spam about trades. And there will be sites overpricing the best items for far beyhond 200 dolars or 200kk gold.

Oh yeah?
    http://diablo3.judgehype.com/screenshots/gamescom2013/conference/28.jpg
    Its hard to trade and or sell awesome items when they are BoA. ;)
    I liked certain aspects of the AH but it did totally ruin the EQ hunt in nearly every respect.- I think the GAME could be better for it.

Having said that the price of gems has more than quintupled in the last 24 hours.
    I would like to insult and send a message of hate towards all those who have been in favor of any kind of auction house.

I still remember the endless discussion before and after the game came out. I used to get banned and sanctioned because I couldn't stay polite towards those people.

Seriously, to all those people, buy a brain or go jump from a bridge, as a favor to mankind. I hate you.

Thank you and congratulation to Blizzard and the Diablo 3 team for finally coming to this obvious decision.

Took some time, but as it often does, reason prevails.

To all those sharing my opinion : +1
    I am 100% in favor of this.

The problem with the AH was it turned the game into one where you play for the slim chance to get a drop good enough not to use on your own character, but to sell on the AH. Every piece of gear I have is from the AH. Because the drops suck, period. Itemization has been trash since day one. Instead of playing the game to improve my toons and experience the thrill of getting that awesome legendary or set piece, I play, praying that I get something that might sell on the AH so I can buy that better piece. I have over 400+ hours in game and in that time the number of legendaries I have seen could be counted on my hands. I have NEVER seen a set piece drop. Hell, the only piece I have that wasnt bought off the AH is my damn Hellfire rings. Loot 2.0 will fix that.

Everything announced since Gamescon has proven that the Diablo team is listening to the true gamer base out there. They are owning up to their mistakes, and saying, " Hey, we tried different things, they didnt work, so we are going back to what did!"

To those complaining that it will drive people to use 3rd party sites, you do understand the new loot system is meant to restore item balance to the point where you shouldnt feel the need to go to them. And FYI, using those sites are a CHOICE you make.If you do and get your account hacked, or your credit card info stolen, or your bank emptied, thats on you.

I am glad to see the team returning to the roots that made the Diablo franchise one of the greatest franchises of all time.

/cheers
    I see the line in the sand.
    Time to find out who I am.
    Looking back to see where I stand.
    Evolution.

BNet Tag: Evolution85#1878
    1) Best change made to the game since release.

2) Need to now make all items drop more often, the drop rates of console likely are close to perfect.

3) No items should ever be BoA now, not Marquise, not Legendaries, not Mystic changes, nothing.

4) Legendary items need to never roll "random properties" as that will ruin the entire economy because nothing will have a steady pricepoint to base your find on. The only randomness on legendary items should be the values, and whether it rolls Str, Dex, Int (and other affixes such as "regenerates 1 mana per second" only if Int, changes to "Regenerates X Spirit per second" or "Hatred per second" if dex, etc. Also if the item has a class specific skill boost, then it could swap to another class as well; but never contradict the Primary stat).
    If this doesn't happen, then the game will fail within 6 months after the AH is removed due to nobody knowing a proper price on anything.

5) Ensure that rares can be best in slot in terms of PURE damage/defensive stats, that means making legendary items slightly weaker in pure stats, but they have unique stats, stats that rares cannot get on certain slots, and more stats (by way of procs/special things) than rares. This keeps rares competitive and sought after for absolutely amazing ones.

6) Add in a Gambler, you can wager anywhere from 100k --> 100m to gamble an item, the more you gamble, the higher the chance it will be a legendary item.

7) Add in the ability to buy stuff for your banner and allow your banner to be seen on your character if you want it to be (or at least shown when you die, etc.). Make the things cost a lot of gold.

8) Add in a mode that you can gamble gold on killing monsters, if you pass the targetted time then items drop more and better depending on the amount of gold you put up.

9) Reduce the amount of gold you can find unless specifically geared for it.
    didnt blizz not too long ago said that , they wanna keep it? and now this? im very happy about it , but its a bit weird since they wanted to keep it. good one blizz
    Quote from Kodaijin

I'm excited to play diablo again. I was really starting to lose faith in this game, but with the AH now having a doom counter, loot 2.0, ROS, mystic stat rerolling, crafting that will not suck, paragon 2.0, transmog, and new content to reward players who play the game the way it was meant my hopes are much higher.

Only two problems I have is 1) Really hope the targeted drops are a lot better, and I mean a lot better, and 2) wish it was sooner.

if the loot will be anything as d3 on the console , you're in for a treat:)
    Finally !!

RoS might be the same thing what LoD was for D2
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes