Travis Day On The Salvation of Diablo 3

Quote from Gheed2010

Big corporations like Blizzard tend to attract people that are really, really good at writing exposition on a released product that seems generally reasonable, and almost insightful, and almost totally irrelevant in terms of being able to fix hard-wired design decisions.

They don't attract people that fight to clean up these messes back when politically powerful people are still attached to them before release.

Quick pop quiz - how many ARPGs did Jay, Wilson and this guy collectively work on before D3?

And I'll counter that Torchlight 1 was utterly shit. Talk about calcified, no room for innovation, me-too garbage. Torchlight 2 is better, though.
    Quote from trocadero_fuerte

And I'll counter that Torchlight 1 was utterly shit. Talk about calcified, no room for innovation, me-too garbage. Torchlight 2 is better, though.

Maybe, but it was also the best ARPG released in the year it came out, as was Torchlight II! If only that was saying more.

I thought Torchlight 1 was decent enough for a game that was developed in less than a year by a dozen or so people.
    I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude, but I like some of the things I read.
    Also: told you the AH was the root of all evil :P
    Quote from Gheed2010

Quote from trocadero_fuerte

Maybe, but it was also the best ARPG released in the year it came out, as was Torchlight II! If only that was saying more.

I thought Torchlight 1 was decent enough for a game that was developed in less than a year by a dozen or so people.

TL2 best ARPG of the year? Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Torchlight 1 and thought TL2 was quite decent, but I bet there won't be a lot of people agreeing with you on that. Best indie ARPG? Absolutely. But by objective measurements TL2 didn't come close to D3, as almost all reviews show, too.
    Quote from Bagstone

But by objective measurements TL2 didn't come close to D3, as almost all reviews show, too.

Uhhh.... yeah...

http://torchlight.incgamers.com/2012/12/torchlight-2-wins-best-rpg-in-incgamers-2012-readers-vote/

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2012/Best_PC_Role-Playing_Game

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/torchlight-ii
    Well, at least they keep working on the game.
    The game has improved and, hopefully, will improve again in the future.
    Finally! Someone from Blizzard admits the AH causes problems.

How so? The only thing the AH does for me is saves me countless time having to spam a trade chat system full of trolls and cheapskates
    + the time i would have to spend wacthing the same system for items i may need. Its not caused "problems" for everyone. Just whinebags moaning because they don't have a daddys wallet to do a pro fast. Thats not the AH's fault. You find that in every online game.
    Quote from Benegesserit

After making a few truckloads of money on it and losing the majority of their playerbase. GJ blizz !
    Quote from reclaimer3235

How so? The only thing the AH does for me is saves me countless time having to spam a trade chat system full of trolls and cheapskates
    + the time i would have to spend wacthing the same system for items i may need. Its not caused "problems" for everyone. Just whinebags moaning because they don't have a daddys wallet to do a pro fast. Thats not the AH's fault. You find that in every online game.

More and more people are moving away from the AH every day. How about you play the game instead of "spamming a trade chat system" and "watchin the same system for items you may need"? Self found/crafting/occasional trading is the way to play these games. Go play the stock market if you enjoy trading so much.
    If by now you really don't see how and why the AH causes so many problems, then you probably can't be helped, anyway, so I'm not even gonna try explaining. It's been said enough times.
    I really like how they plan to add better affixes ! However, I hope they realize that crit is not only wanted for it's damage. 3 classes out of 5 are built around crit : Barbarian, Wizard and Monk and once you have high crit, of course you use crit damage because it becomes a huge source of damage.
    Can someone tell me if this is the new Lead Designer after Wilson moved on?
    I like what I read here. Acknowledgement of the AH and its negative effects on the game. Not to mention direct criticism of the games particular issues in regard to items. Can't wait for the item blog.
    Quote from Maky

Can someone tell me if this is the new Lead Designer after Wilson moved on?
    I like what I read here. Acknowledgement of the AH and its negative effects on the game. Not to mention direct criticism of the games particular issues in regard to items. Can't wait for the item blog.

Nope. The position is still open.

Ha. Bagstone.

I like what I am hearing, mostly. There are a few things I still disagreee with though. One is that the skill system in D2 is inherently flawed - I think simply addressing the issues of rerolling characters as well as balancing skills it would have made a far more compelling system than the new system. I also disagree that Inferno was too hard - Nightmare and Hell were too easy leaving people unprepared. Maybe this stems from "I think the right way to introduce challenge is to make it optional,..." which I also disagree with. This requires a sort of masochist mentality from players along with the prior knowlegde that the game will be underwhelming to actively seek ways to create their own challenges right from the start of the game. Without both, many players (including myself) intuatively assumed the game would get progressively harder, which was not the case until after playing through the game 3 times to get to Inferno - before which players will write the game off entierly not caring to or knowing about how to set up their own obstacles. I definately get the most out of the game HC, no AH, MP10. But having already played multiple characters to 60 SC, with AH, MP 0 to not find the challenge I was looking for, the story/landscape has become unbearably repetative.

Knit-picking aside, I think this is the best news for D3 yet. Here's to hoping for more of this type of refinement and more content.
    Why is there no mention of big maps, multiple routes, more randomization.
    Quote from Hiderius

Because there won't be any of that.
    Quote from maka

Quote from Hiderius

Because there won't be any of that.

If that's the case another Blizzard fail. Many former players won't return for those reasons.
    Yeah, Maka was on one of their meetings and they told him they won't be ever looking at these things.

Ha. Bagstone.

I don't know where many see "great things" on what this guy said. He basically replied to the OP on that thread with:
    No.
    No.
    Maybe.
    Soon Tm.
    We will write a blog about it.

Not one mention on "we will fix all these and more in the next 2-3 months to before the next expansion" or something similar that could give hope !
    I didn't say "ever", but the fact that, if I remember correctly, there have been zero blue posts about those topics makes it extremely unlikely they'll be addressed in the near future.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes