Message from Jay Wilson

I'm pleasantly surprised. Jay has himself to blame for over-promising and under-delivering on D3. His personal behaviour since release didn't help him any either.

I hope he was put on a pet project within Blizzard so that he won't do any further harm to existing projects in the pipe. If it's Warcraft 4 with him in charge I'm sure it'll release with the campaign but lacking multiplayer. :P

The hyperbolic treatment that Jay Wilson (and D3 in general) recieves is pretty crazy to me.

You don't see news like this article coming from games that are actually good.

It has far more than a handful of issues and the fact that you can't see that is why you're in the minority that thinks the game is fine.

Take other leading competing games in a genre like BF3 and CoD:Blops2. If you go to any article about one of those games there is often a debate about the other game being better (as is the nature of competition in general). In pretty much ANY article about D3, the majority of people are spitting on it and recommending the competition (articles on fansites mitigate this somewhat but even then, not much). Yet if you go to articles about other games in the ARPG genre, people still use the comment space to spit on D3 and recommend the product in the article or another competing title.

I have never seen a game so hated in 25+ years of gaming. It's not billed as the worst game ever made like say: the Atari E.T. game or Superman 64, but it's probably the game with the largest difference between the hype and the resulting reception.

People don't talk about games they don't care about. People go out of their way to flame D3 because they DO care. There are many like me who LOVE the series, but very much dislike some of the decisions made about this game. And since in the end it's just code, it can be changed. Some changes would be monumental and unlikely, but in the hopes that the series can have a modern epic, veteran fans pray (figuratively or literally) and continue to provide feedback to remind Blizzard where they stand currently with the game.
    Good riddance Blood Raven...

And now ladies and gentlemen... The high heavens... shall... TREMBLE!

Good luck to Jay in future projects.
    Im not stuck in the 90s, so I can enjoy D3 for what it is and not grasp at an old, outdated, "good-for-its-time" relic.Im certain D3 will be better than D2 ever was.

Lots of the good stuff from the 90s havent been implemented though, and thats a big mistake.

No Ladder
    No runewords.
    No PvP until 1.7
    Only 4 players max instead of 8? big mistake.
    heavy gold inflation as there is no gold sinks, or alternative currencies
    Very little reason to team up
    Removal of the usability og gold and magic find + a stupid cap.
    No manual stat distribution as you are leveling up.
    No infinite dungeon system.
    Too much emphasis on weapon dmg and primary stats, which forces you to focus on only specific stats.
    No funny weapons/items with special skill abilities(D2 teleport spell on a runeword comes to mind)
    Poor combat against botters, resulting in a heavily inflated economy.
    Little reason to level a new char as you can change your skills at a whim.

Runeword rofl.. D2 was way better before runeword.

If you want all this, go play back to D2.

D3 is actually nice to play, Give time to build and add content to the game.
    Diablo 2 sucks until 1.08 to 1.10.
    I dont want to dicredit Jay Wilson but lets be honest he has almost destroyed the Diablo franchise and has made bad decisions at every turn, I am absolutely delighted to see him go and and am sipping on a glass of champaine in celebration. I now feel there is hope yet for D3, bring David Brevik back into the fold and let him clean this mess up :)
    JayW....Now Go Remake Pac-man game and i thing you will fail again...at last blizzard he did very good move to remove him from diablo 3 project! and also if he gone fired it will be nice also!

Oh and they weren't fired by the way, they quit. They were invited to continue working within Blizzard but were not fond of it.
    Technically, they were fired? Blizzard North was shut down, this was a stand alone studio, thus they lost their jobs. They were however as you mentioned offered to work in Irvine for Blizzard. "All" they had to do was take their lives and everything and move. Let me tell you this: That is not a move many take light heartedly, especially not if you do have a family and friends.

Regarding your earlier statement on the turn based story. Do you happen to recall where you read/heard that? I know of Diablo being turn based at first since they wanted a D&D-dungeon style game. But that they fought against Blizzard when asked to make it a real time action game is something I don't recall (although I do not doubt it one bit :P The stories probably differ based on who you ask).

Also on an entirly unrelated note, here is an interesting blog by Patrick Wyatt: http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/ it gives some insight in the development of their games, although I have been unable to find much about Diablo series so far.

Regarding Jay Wilson, he tried, and he failed. However, looking at Blizzard as a whole and what they have been doing with their latest games (Mists not included, I don't play WoW) they have managed to mess SC2 (mainly thinking about HotS here) up to some extent too. Not as bad as D3, but still bad enough for me to have gotten rid of my BNET account. Blizzard is no longer the company it once was, and I don't think this can or should be blamed on the public figures, but rather the ones standing beind them giving them the demands.

Good luck to Jay in future projects.
    Im not stuck in the 90s, so I can enjoy D3 for what it is and not grasp at an old, outdated, "good-for-its-time" relic.Im certain D3 will be better than D2 ever was.

Lots of the good stuff from the 90s havent been implemented though, and thats a big mistake.

Many of the things you list are exactly what the OP was referring to.

Putting points into stats? There is a right vs. wrong answer to stats, so it adds nothing ot the game except punishing people who don't google for a cookie cutter build. Designers have figured this out since the 90s, thank goodness.

Likewise with magic find as a stat. They experimented here, but ultimately gear-switching for kills was dumb. The design they have right now where you need less MF the higher your paragon level actually makes for interesting gearing decisions and gear changes at endgame beyond straight upgrades.

Little reason to level a new char as you can change your skills at a whim.
    Groan. You can't be serious, can you? Disallowing respecs is a great way to force everyone into the same cookie cutter build because attempting a new build requires an enormous time investment. If you enjoy leveling multiple characters, you can still do it. I did, and I did in WOW too despite having respecs available.

You mention other points that certainly have truth to them, and D3 isn't perfect by any means. But I thank Jay for the ambitious and creative direction they took with the game. They could have crapping out a Diablo2 clone (as other companies still do), but instead they gave us something new and interesting. Even if it has problems, at least they're new problems, not the same problems ARPGs had in the 90s. Most of their bets paid off, and the few that didn't are still solvable.

The game's direction since launch has been good, and I hope Jay's removal lets the same team that made the game and the post-launch improvements continue to iterate on the game with less animosity from the community.
    1) He is going to work on prject titan = bad for us
    2) He is going to work on project blackstone = bad for us
    3) He is going to work on D3 expansion = bad for us
    4) He is going to work on D3 secretely = bad for us

take your pick
    Rencol - Diablo fan since 1996 and walking encyclopedia of Diablo lore.
    Rencolia - lvl 60 wizard - dead :dead: Rencol - lvl 60 monk - dead :dead: Mortis - lvl 60 witch doctor - alive and kicking :Thumbs Up:

The game's direction since launch has been good, and I hope Jay's removal lets the same team that made the game and the post-launch improvements continue to iterate on the game with less animosity from the community.

What good is a direction when the pace is abysmally slow?
    Hopefully they won't put him in Project Titan ^^
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled
    was convincing the world he didn't exist.
    Honestly I really hope all this time and money blizz has been spending on "Titan" is really worth it, if it is a MMO FPS I really hope the take their time and balance the game and not turn in into a clusterf*ck and Bi&ch fest that is Planet Side 2.
    omg, this is the best news ever! well better late than ever, but its almost better than releasing the PVP or the expansion right now!

Goodbuy mister Jay, hope we will not see you again...and i hope you will not frack up the "titan" project as well.
    No More Auction House!
    My faith is restored to them :Thumbs Up:
    Now just give us and a offline mode like sc2 B)

Why doesn't Wyatt Cheng take over? Why do they need to bring in a new guy?

Well apart from their desperate need of new ideas...

I wouldn't be surprised if Wyatt applies for the job. They tend to open major positions like this to full applications to throw a net out and see who it attracts. Then they pick what they think is best for the game.

Regarding your earlier statement on the turn based story. Do you happen to recall where you read/heard that? I know of Diablo being turn based at first since they wanted a D&D-dungeon style game. But that they fought against Blizzard when asked to make it a real time action game is something I don't recall (although I do not doubt it one bit :P The stories probably differ based on who you ask).

There ya go:

Blizzard South suggested we make it real-time after we sent them the first build that was this turn-based version. We argued, "No, we're making this game." But they finally wore us down—it probably only took an hour or so over the phone—to the point where we said, "Okay, we'll give it a try, but it's going to be really hard work to do. It's going to take a lot of time, and we're going to need some more money for the project."
    - Erich Schaefer

http://www.shacknews...rns-over-diablo

edit: And yeah I've read Wyatt's blog. He has some great info on all things Blizzard. :)
    This will not bode well with the franchise in the long term. His leaving was the final nail in the coffin. The people now beyond doubt are sure that diablo 3 is a major letdown when even it's own director admits he didn't quite get the job done and simply left. Many tried to sugarcoat the problems and force themselfs to like it but no matter what fanboy you are deep in you you know shit aint right and it could have been 1000% better.

Any future diablo game (if there will ever be one) will suffer from that, because let's face it - d3 made all it's profits from the backs of the giants d1 and d2. Whoever is making d4 will need to do some hellova good job to bring back the trust and hearts of the people.

Yet i am optimist, d3 has a potential but it needs major revamp and reconsidering many design choices. I can only hope the new director will be open to the community, listen to it and improve the game to be a worthy successor.

Any future diablo game (if there will ever be one) will suffer from that, because let's face it - d3 made all it's profits from the backs of the giants d1 and d2. Whoever is making d4 will need to do some hellova good job to bring back the trust and hearts of the people.

There's a bigger issue than that from what I see. People very often forget Diablo 2 offered the same endgame as Diablo 3, but this is no longer enough for them. Now they want infinite dungeons, random maps (like in TL2 and PoE) and all other things, that I personally like as well. Those were not part of Diablo 2, yet they say the endgame sucks, while saying D2 was "better" in that department. In my opinion in the far future, when Diablo 4 gets out people will be very far from what they remember 2 and 3 were. Very far. And it's gonna be bad.

There ya go:

Blizzard South suggested we make it real-time after we sent them the first build that was this turn-based version. We argued, "No, we're making this game." But they finally wore us down—it probably only took an hour or so over the phone—to the point where we said, "Okay, we'll give it a try, but it's going to be really hard work to do. It's going to take a lot of time, and we're going to need some more money for the project."
    - Erich Schaefer

http://www.shacknews...rns-over-diablo

edit: And yeah I've read Wyatt's blog. He has some great info on all things Blizzard. :)

Thanks for that link and uh.... they had alot of interesting articles about good old blizzard there! My night is saved (or ruined, depending on how to look at it ;))

There's a bigger issue than that from what I see. People very often forget Diablo 2 offered the same endgame as Diablo 3, but this is no longer enough for them. Now they want infinite dungeons, random maps (like in TL2 and PoE) and all other things, that I personally like as well. Those were not part of Diablo 2, yet they say the endgame sucks, while saying D2 was "better" in that department. In my opinion in the far future, when Diablo 4 gets out people will be very far from what they remember 2 and 3 were. Very far. And it's gonna be bad.

Well, the "endgame" for Diablo 2 really was just runs and duelling. But due to how their loot system worked - that was satisfying enough.

I started playing Diablo 3 and played hardcore until level 58 and then stopped. I simply did not have fun, nor did I feel rewarded when playing. And when they started nerfing all the good farm points I just gave up. It was the farming I liked in D2, it's what kept me playing.

Besides the point above, what annoys me about Diablo 3 is as often mentioned, the autostat, the skill system and the fact that the heroes feels unpolished (barbarian excluded, he felt powerful). The problem with the skill and stat system is that there no longer is any consequences at all when picking skills. That way you don't feel rewarded when you build your character (and no need to bring Akara into this, I refuse to use respec and always felt that was a stupid addition, although it most likely helped early game weak builds).

I never got the main counter argument from Blizzards side either, they claimed the mechanic was boring and people only used guides. Wasn't it kind of obvious that this would be true for the new system as well, only now, there was no need to re-create the character if the build was bad.

Then their talk about how enemies would use tactics in hell / inferno rather then blizz just increasing the numbers. We all know how this turned out.

As for Diablo 4, it kind of depends on what approach they take, who their target audience is. I don't feel that I was targetted with Diablo 3 as it slided away on some core mechanics in the game (if you have a franchise, stop messing core mechanics up. Squeenix did the same with FF, it's been crap mechanics-wise since at least 12 and then in 13 when going extremly linear). I don't have a problem with new mechanics or so, but put them under a new franchise instead of pushing them into the already established ones where people are used to the old ones.

Blizzards problems at the moment as I see it is:
    • StarCraft 2 differs from 1 in the way that this focuses on E-Sports (and thus balance) from the start, making them scrap hard to balance but fun to use units
    • Diablo 3 on the other hand focuses way too much on casual gaming and strips more or less all consequences out. Also the classes are kind of weak (or did they fix this?).
    • Suddenly they have split their fans into camps - Those that like the new games, and those that do not like them (a majority of the forum users seem to be in the latter)
    I have a hard time seeing Blizzard fail as a company though, they have sales and popular games with microtransactions. But the task of satisfying both groups of new and old players will be difficult. In the end I'm pretty sure that we who like the old games will lose in favor of the new player group which probably consists of way more people. So seen from a business perspective, Blizzard are doing great.

I'm pretty tired over here and some of the stuff above is probably not clear or even comprehendable, so ask for clarification if needed and I'll do my best.

I disagree with you on the random maps, D2 maps were much more random than what we have in D3. In D3 i feel there is no random generation, it feels like a linear trip from point A to point B. No thrill of the unknown. The only random generation i experience are the caves and tunnels but the scenery is always the same with no varied art. Even't don't help either when the core of the map is the same shell. But that's just me...

Yet i agree with you that the franchise may face very dark future. Considering the way things turned for d3... ah a pity really.

I disagree with you on the random maps, D2 maps were much more random than what we have in D3. In D3 i feel there is no random generation, it feels like a linear trip from point A to point B. No thrill of the unknown. The only random generation i experience are the caves and tunnels but the scenery is always the same with no varied art. Even't don't help either when the core of the map is the same shell. But that's just me...

Yet i agree with you that the franchise may face very dark future. Considering the way things turned for d3... ah a pity really.

I absolutely agree that some areas are not random at all, but others, like the Barracks and Arreat in A3 are as random as they get. Sure there aren't many doodads involved, but then there weren't many in D2 as well. The games are very comparable.

Do I want more randomization? Of course. Is what we have much different from D2? Not "much".
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes