Patch 1.0.4 Class Preview: Witch Doctor

I chose to roll a WD based on the pets. Then I discovered they went shish kebab later on in Normal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my buddies. :beg:
    Seriously they done f***d up my bears... I'm truly hoping for some damage increase for the different skills as they have done with every other single class preview before this. I'm extremely sceptical towards the pets even though they say they've "fixed" it...
    Finally, I can now play my WD without having to pop my CD skills at stupid times just to activate VQ.
    Seems pets got a bit of love! :)

I love summoners hence I'm an happy player.

Let's see the full patch notes, there will be a lot to read.

And yep, seems we are getting close to the end of beta.
    I'd love to know what happened when they scratched the 2011 release...
    Quote from Shotcaller1977

Seriously they done f***d up my bears... I'm truly hoping for some damage increase for the different skills as they have done with every other single class preview before this. I'm extremely sceptical towards the pets even though they say they've "fixed" it...

I know my pets won't die. Ever.
    One could think of using the mana rune for poison dart in combination with the new vision quest and do one hit every 5 secs or so. Overall i like the changes, i play WD mainly because of the summons and with my current gear , my zombie dogs would have

10000 + 42000*35% = 24700 hp and would can be hit at max for 10000*0.5*0.35 = 1750 so they survive 12 hits. Sounds nice , but i need to test it.
    Well, with the changes to these pets, along with the general changes happening to the monsters (less health on elites, reworked fire chains and shielding, the removal of invuln minions etc), I can effectively see the WD becoming one of the most powerful farmers in Inferno. Perhaps not the most efficient (I have a hard time seeing anything being as efficient as a fully geared WW barb) but probably one of the safest.

With enough defensive stats, it sounds like a WD can have his pets tank for a team of 4 relatively easily, all the while dishing out some decent DPS and other control abilities.

I'm half curious about a health regen build. It sounds like with enough defensive stats and some stacked health regen, pets could damn near become unkillable. I'll have to play with some numbers to see what is possible.
    Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
    Bringing torment and pain to others.
    Your damned soul wallowing in your sin.
    Perhaps...

it is time to die.
    Quote from phuzi0n

Quote from Catalept

If you're arguing that the re-worked VQ is actually too weak to make it worth bothering with anymore, then that is something I agree with. +30% isn't a hell of a lot. It feels like it should be a passive that compliments a bursty CD-based spec... 30% is just background noise.

That's only part of my point. As I said, currently you can get over 250 mana/sec with mana regen gear+VQ which can support spamming high mana cost spells, but the new 30% VQ and increased base mana regen can only get you to slightly over 100 mana/sec. 100/sec is not nearly enough to support spamming any high cost spell for very long so you can not just use something like spider queen to keep VQ active while you spam as they suggested in the preview, you have to use darts/firebomb so that you have something to spam the other half the time when your OOM. If you're forced to spam darts/firebomb half the time anyways, then why not spam it all the time, get a more attractive passive instead of VQ, and get another utility spell instead of a mana dump?

They're taking away the ability to make specs viable by gearing mana regen. They might have killed CM wizards the same way but they at least claimed that with high crit (and presumably high AP on crit) that CM wizards will still work. They also said they're not touching blender barbs at all which is another spec that has to gear for regen (through crit chance). But this preview outright says that WD will not be able to gear enough regen to support spamming bears forever.

If you read the notes properly it says that it is against their design to be able to spam high mana cost spells for longer durations. As it obliterates any and all diversity.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyPoochification - Let's Play of Eastern Sun/Other stuff
    These are probably the most solid changes out of all the class previews that came before. Witch Doctor should always primarily be a powerful pet class, and it seems we're finally gonna be able to play it as such come 1.0.4. Rejoice.
    "Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the small death that brings total obliteration."
    Quote from Doorsfan

If you read the notes properly it says that it is against their design to be able to spam high mana cost spells for longer durations. As it obliterates any and all diversity.

Nowhere does that and in fact they actually say:
    While we can't accommodate every skill and build combination out there, the goal for Vision Quest is that a player who has chosen the right passives and gear will still be able to summon waves of stampeding bears for at least a few seconds.
    and
    but we're going to shift the way you get that regeneration away from needlessly spamming cooldowns to attacking and doing damage.

ie. they want us to still be able to gear/spec together in ways that make it relatively spamable (which is far from possible with the proposed numbers), but they also want us to be forced to use a primary spell that we don't want to use in addition to the passive.

They actually contradict themselves in a way. They said they don't want using cooldowns to activate regen but they also give the example of using Spider Queen to activate it which is essentially a cooldown. They could have just made it require 1-2 abilities on cd and then we wouldn't be forced into using a primary spell that we don't want to and wouldn't have to waste all our cd's when we don't need them.

On the topic of diversity, that is for OTHER balancing to solve. PtV could give more dmg and increase mana costs further, a new passive could reduce the mana cost tremendously of your next cast after you use a primary spell, another could increase the dmg of your next cast after using a primary spell (even if the next cast is that same primary spell), you get the idea...
    Quote from phuzi0n

Wait wtf is going on here? Yeah they're buffing pets like they promised months ago, but they are killing mana regen and people are celebrating it as a buff??? Maybe there's other changes to mana regen that they didn't mention, but the post sounds like they don't want us to ever be able to have enough regen to be able to spam bats/bears. While the old mechanic was indeed "feast or famine" and I myself suggested many ways that could smooth it out, this change is completely gutting it. Before you could get over 250 mana/sec with gear and talents but from what they've told us it will now be limited to about 100 mana/sec.

This preview is worse than the wizard preview that said CM build is getting half as much AP procs from tornados. They're forcing WD to use primary spells, so everyone is likely going to be forced into splinters/firebomb builds and not care about mana dumps like they want us to.

Exactly.

Congrats WDs... we just got nerfed. Even with Vision Quest, we had trouble keeping up with DPS with other ranged classes. I'm very disappointed that Pierce the Veil WAS NOT EVEN MENTIONED in the blog. Pierce was a major factor in why our mana system blew and why people picked vision quest. Without using pierce, our damage is crap and if we use it, well we need a TON of mana regen and we just lost about 100% of what we had before with vision quest.

The pet buff is sweet but some of us actually want to do damage. Why can Barbs have infinite rage with certain builds but we can't have decent mana regen with some of ours? It's not even like it's infinite, I ran out of mana casting firebats with the previous Vision Quest.
    Quote from phuzi0n

ie. they want us to still be able to gear/spec together in ways that make it relatively spamable (which is far from possible with the proposed numbers), but they also want us to be forced to use a primary spell that we don't want to use in addition to the passive.

How do you possible draw that connection. Do you consider being able to burn your entire mana pool during a couple of seconds to be "relatively spamable"? And if it were not for as i proposed it to be - Then all of sudden we have a situation where their actions very much DO contradict what they reflect in the changes. So yet again, stating that they contradict - only serves to provide further support of my point.

It is a clear underlying fact that they do not want X to be so damaging heavy and make you feel OBLIGED to take it, because it was NOT intended to be spammed. This should befall you as very obvious given it's mana cost/damage ratio - There isn't supposed to be one that just wins by MILES.

And what else could they possibly balance to fix build diversity, if Vision Quest evidently was one of the biggest things that caused a lack of it, in combination with the already mentioned and To be adressed issues? I get it - You are kind of mad that they took a dump on your infinite well of mana and power - That sucks - But in all due respect, going to scream "WTF GJ U BROKE WDs" is neither constructive nor does it yield anything to actually back it up.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyPoochification - Let's Play of Eastern Sun/Other stuff
    I puropsely been waiting to level my wd past 52 bc of this patch and im glad i did...I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS TO BE RELEASEDDDD....amped non the less if only they gave true love to my monk also....but the wd needed help esp with pets
    well i hope this is a positive thing...i havent had my wd to 60 and in inferno yet so im not sure but its nice to have something tank for you and hopefully with increases in dps fot skills it wont nurf the dps of the character
    I like the changes to WD, especially pet changes ofc. I only wonder if pets will be good enough or viable for act3/4 inferno. If not than all those changes to them are pointless. I like VQ change too. I didn't like old version which basically required you to blow your cds. I understand that 'Bears' might not be spammable now, but maybe with other changes to mobs it won't be needed. If lets seay between champion packs primary attack will be enough thats fine. I can imagine a situation at a champion pack where Dogs and Gargy along with Fetishes tank stuff and I blow 'Bears' to dps down one or two champs from the pack, to finish it with lets say Splinters when mana drops off its fine. I only fear that 'Vortex' or 'Teleport' minions can screw me up fast still. Time will tell, anyway I feel like changes are for better, so i keep my fingers crossed. Even if situation will be bad im lucky enough to have geared Barb, which i feel after all the changes will be annihilating machines. They are super soild with good gear atm. With all those mob hp and affix nerfs i will obliterate shit anyway.
    Puzzle Ring (Ring) - This ring gives heroes a chance to summon a Treasure Goblin when they’re hit. The tooltip will be something along the lines of: "This ring sometimes calls forth a Treasure Goblin when you are hit."

Um wow. Now that's a kinda cool legendary.
    Why would anyone want to use pets? They are useless. They cannot kill anything in inferno.
    All of the guys raging about VQ change make me laugh. So you honestly prefer to able to spam bears/bats for a few more seconds than having 4 more skills? Not to mention that not every WD uses VQ or even need as much mana reg.

I also find it amusing how those same people completely ignore everything else on that blog but that VQ change and go on yelling "WDs ARE NERFED, GG AGAIN BLIZZ". Good laughs.

edit: @ above poster: Do you use hex to kill anything in inferno? Do you use grasp to kill anything in inferno? Do you use wall of zombies (not counting Pile On) to kill anything in inferno? If you answered "no" to at least one of those questions, then you aren't a complete imbecile.
    Nobody is perfect. I am nobody. I am perfect.
    The ones crying about not being able to spam zombie bears for a few more seconds than before, they are buffing the other big mana spending spells up to par so Zombie bears isn't the only way to do dmg.

And considering HP is being nerfed on elites in inferno, you won't even need more than a few seconds of zombie bears to gib them.
    Sacrifice.

What about sacrifice?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes